Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to my first EVER posting on BBG - I'm a devoted disciple and have enjoyed reading reviews etc for well over a year now . Thanks to all for their views - I love gaming and I am developing a catalogue of games and slowly immersing family and friends in the unadulterated joys and sometimes frustration that introducing/expanding closed minds to this wonderful world brings .
I currently have and play Settlers , TTR , Through The Desert , Thurn & Taxis , Blokus , Lost Cities , Carcasonne AND unplayed games of Puerto Rico and El Grande - purchased way too early - much educating of self , friends is still needed for these - ALAS !!
That said this session report on the first playing of China may well interest some ...
Our 4 player game , consisting rather strangely ... of FOUR players , started as such ...
Player # 1 - Me , 44 year-old game lover/frustrated board game designer (From early days - say 10 onwards I've made board games - probably 30 or 40 over time most consigned to the bin for my lack of confidence in playing them with others . Several have been enjoyed and played by family and friends and others - BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME !!!)
Player # 2 - David - long-time friend - aged 43 - a shrewd thinker and rather gifted strategist (i.e. seems to win TTR WAY too regularly for my liking !!) He is a fellow devotee of increasingly intriguing games ...
Player # 3 - Jacob , David's son - aged 15 - a bright kid who has taken to the gaming experience - loves Settlers , TTR ...
Player # 4 - Peter , aged 13 - Jacob's young friend . We played TTR before this game of China and I suspect these were his first game experiences outside of the exalted "Monopoly - Playing Cards Realm" .

A rather eclectic and perhaps lop-sided mix of combatants you'd say ... BUT .....

In brief the first game of this for all of us went fairly smoothly . I had read the rules carefully and felt that I understood them well enough to inform ... It took just 10 minutes and we were well into the swing of things .
Young Peter , perhaps understandably made the mistake of placing first in new regions a little too often and the wiser heads built on his foundations . Although we had to consult the rules for clarification on occasion the game went fairly smoothly . We forgot to replenish our hands after playing cards out several times which caused a touch of awkwardness but in around a touch over an hour we were done .
My understanding of the power of scoring of emissaries from my reading of the rules was the critical factor in influencing the result - I tallied 74 - pipping young Jacob on 71 , David on 59 and Peter a gallant but nevertheless happy-to-have-participated 47 .
Peter lead after the scoring of houses and roads but got little from his emissaries - David seemed to misunderstand the full import of their role too and will no doubt be a far more formidable foe when we next play - which all agreed they would love to do .
A final observation - after a sole playing of this visually-appealing and I sense rather-strategic game I can see that it will shine even more as a 3 player ...

THANKS FOR READING ... MORE REVIEWS ARE ON THEIR WAY !!! ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Lewy
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Welcome to the wide, wild, wonderful world of session reporting, my friend. An amusing first foray. I have yet to play this, but have a copy and am itching to do so now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do suggest you give this a whirl - it's good and intelligent gaming to my mind but with economy in the cerebral sense - it's not a fulsome brain-burning game . You will find it to be a very good strategic workout nontheless . Happy Gaming !!!!kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.