Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't played a game in quite a while, being busy withour baby and my job and such. Towatake was sleeping in the afternoon, so we took our chance to play Anno 1503.

Players: Alan (me), Kaoru (my wife)

Being a nice gentlemanly husband, I let Kaoru go first. (Actually, I don't mind letting her go first since I win over 90% in this game anyway. devil ) And in fact, that worked in my favor since, with a couple of lucky rolls, I bought a ship on my first turn. devil Kaoru built her second ship a little bit later.

The closest island was a Trade Agreement, and we both decided to pass it, hoping to find a spice for 'the perfect start'. The next island was again a Trade Agreement. By this time, I almost had the resources to build a third ship, so I took the Trade Agreement in order to be able to build the new ship.

The die rolls were bad for me: Kaoru's windmill was rolled several times, while I amassed only a surplus of stones and tools. I found another Trade Agreement, and at that point I decided my strategy: I took it, and took also the first Trade Agreement nearest the starting point, and proceeded to build a School (sell wood/tool/stone for 2G).

The School allowed me to sell off my excess stones and tools for good money, and with the money I could buy spices (and whatever else I need) cheaply thanks to the 3 Trade Agreements, so I won't need to build any more ships! Meanwhile, Kaoru was discovering the nice spice and tobacco islands which were further out in the sea. Kaoru picked the Fire Brigade for her first building, while for my second building I took the Restaurant (sell cloth/spice for 4G). These two buildings helped me generate the cash to utilize my Trade Agreements, and I could even buy a cloth/spice for 3G and sell it for 4G, generating 2G out of thin air every turn.

From this point on, it was an easy cruise to victory for me. Even though Kaoru eventually completed her board with two spice and two tobacco islands, I was way too far ahead for her to catch up. I soon completed my city with four buildings, and then easily made 30 gold. She next built the Smithy, and her two buildings protected her a few times while my Church never reaped any harvest, but the gap was too wide to be closed by these minor events.

This game was very satisfactory for me, not just because I won, but really because it was my first time playing with this layout of 3 early Trade Agreements with the School (and no resource islands). This game again prove the point that, one's strategy with the buildings should be guided by what he finds at sea, and that the buildings are finely balanced; the victory goes to the player who chooses the right buildings for the situation. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! I've only played this 5 or 6 times but I agree with you that you must pick a strategy to fit what you've found, rather than try to fit your sea discoveries to a predetermined strategy.

I also think Anno 1503 makes a great 2-player game.

Thanks for the session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.