Popular Tags: [View All]
darin haydock
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have enjoyed playing Battlelore and we love the dimesion added by lore cards (we have played some Battlecry and a lot of CC&A.) But after one recent game, we both wondered what the reason was for the one lore card per turn limit. It seems to both of us that the ability to play mutliple cards per turn would really add to the possible range of strategies in the game.

In an interview on the Dicetower, Richard Borg indicated that he saw the game developing combinations and strategies based on those combinations (ala MtG) as more cards were printed in future expansions. This potential seems limited if not impossible given the one card limit.

Realizing that we could simply allow multiple cards to be played per turn as a house rule, my questions are:

1) Are there game balance reasons for the limit, and if so what are they?
2)Are there any plans for cards/factions/characters to be released in the future that allow multiple cards to be played?
3) Has anyone tried playing without the limit, and if so what has been the result?

Any thoughts on these issues would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
From my experience and from what I've read online some of those lore cards can really beat down your opponent (especially when playing with higher level folks on the war council). Being able to play more than one in a turn would often create a situation that would be difficult to recover from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McClendon
United States
Girard
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it makes the game too much about Lore cards then. A person with the right combination of 3 lore cards would be devastating regardless of the situation on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some powerful combinations of Tactics cards and Lore cards that can do some serious damage, as well as some Lore cards on their own that have some powerful effects. The one lore card per turn limit seems to me to be pretty reasonable. Lore adds a certain welcome uncertain factor in a game, and I know I have had my strategy ruined by a well played lore card. I think two played in a single turn could very well turn a ruined plan from something recoverable to potentially unrecoverable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerrhaydock wrote:

1) Are there game balance reasons for the limit, and if so what are they?

Aside from the above mentioned reasons, I also really enjoy the strategic element of only being able to play one lore card per turn. It adds another level of judiciousness to playing the lore cards. Quick example, once a lore card is played by one player, the level of uncertainty that the other player is dealing with for the remainder of the turn goes way down, and that player can proceed without worrying about cards played during the battles, which often have as devestating an effect as the powerful "nuke" cards.

Quote:

2)Are there any plans for cards/factions/characters to be released in the future that allow multiple cards to be played?

I've no idea about this one, but there is precedence: Deja Vu is played at the same time as another lore card. I would guess that this is to be a very rare exception though.

Quote:

3) Has anyone tried playing without the limit, and if so what has been the result?

I haven't played this way either, but imagine it to be a fun and hectic variant. Having the wizard's pentacle in a game like this would be even more advantageous than usual.

EDIT: it will be fun to think up things like this, but: I imagine after getting hit by darken the skies, magic missiles, and eagle eye/take aim (at a modest 6l, if in character)(pardon the consecutive parentheticals, but with longbows!!) one would have an appreciation for the one card per turn rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darin haydock
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I agree that there is the potential for devastating multiple combinations with what I was suggesting. I guess what I was aiming for was more of a MtG with miniatures effect. This might be an entirely new game, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.