Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cap'n Howdy
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are cities (by themselves) considered "enemy units"?

A situation came up last night with our very first game.

Player A had an army of legions. Player B had two territories--one with a city plus legions and another behind it with a city plus a temple.

Can Player A drive some of his legions into the first of Player B's territories (enough to eliminate the legions there), NOT take over the city--then move his remaining legions to move PAST Player B's unconquered city to the territory behind it to attack the city with the temple (he just wanted to destroy the temple)?

Another example was Player A moved an army of legions through a territory of Player B's that had a city with two galleys in sea. Since legions don't fight galleys, can the legions move through the territory, decline to conquer the city, and continue into the territory behind the first?

I guess my bottom line question is: can units move through a territory that is occupied by a city freely, or do you have to conquer a city in order to move through the territory?

We weren't really sure how these situations play out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selphil wrote:
Are cities (by themselves) considered "enemy units"?

Not really.,. they can't block oposing units movement.

selphil wrote:

Can Player A drive some of his legions into the first of Player B's territories (enough to eliminate the legions there), NOT take over the city--then move his remaining legions to move PAST Player B's unconquered city to the territory behind it to attack the city with the temple (he just wanted to destroy the temple)?

Yes...

selphil wrote:

Another example was Player A moved an army of legions through a territory of Player B's that had a city with two galleys in sea. Since legions don't fight galleys, can the legions move through the territory, decline to conquer the city, and continue into the territory behind the first?

Yes.. The galleys only become an issue if the player tries to conquer the city.

selphil wrote:

I guess my bottom line question is: can units move through a territory that is occupied by a city freely, or do you have to conquer a city in order to move through the territory?

Units can move through freely if there is no other units in the territory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Phebus
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer to your question is: no, the city is not considered an enemy unit. It does not hamper movement, nor can it call for combat for units moving through a province it contains. A city's defense strength only comes into play if the active player chooses conquest; other than that, in terms of combat, it virtually does not exist.
At least as I understand the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.