Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin sgattoni
Argentina
Capital Federal
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings. I´m wondering if you people can recommend me games where players change sides or role at some point of the game. For example, game where you are a human, but if something happens to you, you become a zombie.

The idea I´m looking for are games where your strategy and objectives changes at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Peloponnesian War is a solitaire game. If you start to do too well, you have to switch sides from Athens to Sparta or vice versa.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1678

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider Verräter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This would make a good geeklist.

Here's one to help you get started -- Chill: Black Morn Manor (OOP)

Many negotiation games encourage coalitions and switching sides, like Diplomacy, but I don't think this is quite what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill's Geronimo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but many games allow you to choose role(s) for the turn, or for some period of time, so that you can gain some benefit. This may or may not change your strategy, but certainly affects your tactics:

Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India
Puerto Rico
Citadels
Mission: Red Planet

And to a lesser degree:

In the Shadow of the Emperor (win emperor/elector seats)
Colossal Arena (control creatures)
Perikles (win city states)
Kremlin (control politicians)

There are also games where you can form/break alliances, some by force and some by agreement:

Dune
Struggle of Empires
A Game of Thrones (First Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martin47 wrote:
For example, game where you are a human, but if something happens to you, you become a zombie.

This exact thing happens in Betrayal at House on the Hill. In this game, players are all exploring a house together, until one of them turns traitor against the rest. In most of the game scenarios, players will get their objectives about half-way through the game and not change sides. But some scenarios, like the zombie ones, will cause other players to switch sides to the bad guys if they get turned into a zombie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
In Wallaces Byzantium, you play both sides during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a WWII wargame set in Europe that Joe "Manly Man" Steadman used to talk about on The Dice Tower which sounded really interesting.

One player plays the Allies and the East Front Germans (i.e. the Germans fighting the Russians) and the other player plays the Russians and the West Front Germans (i.e. the ones fighting the Allies). That way you are actually playing two sides at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin sgattoni
Argentina
Capital Federal
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, what I was looking for was a game where some situation forces players to change sides and also objetives in the game. I´m not talking about chosing roles or flipping side back and foward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schmidt
United States
Saint Marys
Ohio
flag msg tools
Fluxx: I personally hate the game but Fluxx changes winning conditions on a moment's notice. Being a card game, some cards denote what it takes to win. You may play a card that stipulates a winning condition and on your next play you will have won. The guy (or lady) before you plays a new "winning condition" card and scraps your (any maybe other's) plans to hell.

If it sounds fun, go for it.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a board game but rather a computer one, but fits your one suggested criteria very well. I have not played yet, and it's still in BETA mode.

Urban Dead

From the wikipedia article:
Urban Dead is an HTML/text-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game created by Kevan Davis. Set in a quarantined region of the fictional town of Malton, it deals with the immediate aftermath of a zombie outbreak. Players enter the game either as a human survivor or a zombie, each with different abilities and limitations. Humans become zombies when they are killed, while zombies can be "revivified" with appropriate technology, becoming human. There are no non-player characters in the game: all humans and zombies are controlled by players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Li
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Werewolf? Isn't there a role where a villager can turn into a werewolf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
martin47 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually, what I was looking for was a game where some situation forces players to change sides and also objetives in the game. I´m not talking about chosing roles or flipping side back and foward.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is perfect than. It's kinda a pain to fix up (make sure to print the errata for the tomes and the chit orginzation stratagy from the geek files) but a great game when it works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.