Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I'd like to say hello... this is my first post after joining the site a few weeks ago, and I'd like to say what a brilliant site it is!

Anyway, let's get to the point... at the moment I'm living with my cousin, and we both love board games. However, the problem we have is that we both work different hours during the day, so we're sometimes only in the house (and awake) at the same time for a couple of hours each day. We'd like to do a bit of gaming during that time, but our collection is mostly made up of what I would call the "generic" board games that every house seems to have... Monopoly, Cluedo, Yahtzee etc., and they no longer keep us interested.

So what we're looking for is a good board game that can be played with 2 people (but not limited to 2 people, as we occasionally have the odd one or two extra people join us if we're lucky). Because of our time limit, we really don't want a game which takes hours to set up and play. We like games which involve a bit of planning and strategy, but don't have too much "take that" involved in it (although a little can be fun ). Space isn't an issue because we have a huge table to play on, but wargames aren't my cousin's favourite, so I'd discourage them.

An example of the kind of game we like is Colosseum, which I bought a few weeks ago and we loved... the only problem with Colosseum is that it needs more than two people to play

I was thinking about getting Puerto Rico, as you guys seem to love it... what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the site! First of all a short advice: check the geeklists. You will find plenty of lists where people suggest good two player games. Try searching for "two player" or "2 player" or indeed "wife", since many geeks are looking for games to play with their wife.

Secondly, a question. Is there any theme you find more interesting than others? Fantasy? Historical? Science fiction?

Last, a few recommendations.
The Pillars of the Earth Often recommended nowadays. 2-4 players, pretty bits, great gameplay.

Samurai Oldie but goldie. Beautiful bits and plays great with 2-4 players.

Marvel Heroes if you are into comics. Note that some people think this game is unbvalanced, I just think it is plain fun. Lots of comics atmosphere!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, and the recommendations! I'll have a read at their pages...

As for your question, we're quite open to theme, anything's good with us.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we're not into comics at all and don't know anyone who is, so Marvel Superheroes probably wouldn't go down well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't limit yourself to games that only work with 2 player or multiple players. I tend to categorize games by how good they are with different numbers of people.

For example, Puerto Rico and Settlers of Catan are great games with 3-4 but you can't play either with 2 players. Battle Lore is a good game, but it only works with 2 people.

Acquire is playable with 2 players, but it's really not all that great unless you have at least 4.

Personally, I think you are looking at one class of games for 2 players and another for 3-4 and a completely different set of games with 5+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As already suggested try the various two-player lists - I did the same a few months ago and decided to buy Carcassonne - you can't go too wrong with this. Hardly any set up time and the basic game is under an hour - if you add the two original expansions (Inns and Cathedrals plus Traders and Builders) you get a really balanced and quite strategic game - play-time around an hour and a quarter or so (for us). It also scales well to more players. Easy to learn but we found it took a few games to figure out any kind of decent strategy.

I have both Pillars of the Earth and Puerto Rico (this has an official two player variant). Haven't yet played either with 2-players though. Pillars should be OK as it is designed for 2 players - a bit fiddly to set up though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more I forgot about earlier:
San Juan
Little brother of Puerto Rico, plays 2-4, definitely under an hour. Great stuff, easy to play but many ways to victory. One of my favorites for two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kharnik wrote:

Personally, I think you are looking at one class of games for 2 players and another for 3-4 and a completely different set of games with 5+

Yeah, that was something I was also considering... having read through a lot of the reviews on bgg, it seems that a lot of the higher rated multiplayer games tend to get less favourable reviews when played with two players.

Craig: Thanks, I've considered buying Carcassonne, I might just go ahead and do it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris,

Welcome to the Geek. You should most definately pick up Carcassonne. It the favorite 2-player of my girlfriend and I and also get frequent play with 5 when we go to my mom's house. Another good choice would be Ticket to Ride with the 1910 expansion although it will definately run over your 1 hour time limit, especially if playing with 5.

Good luck and happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Carc (as well as many of the expansions). That is the one game that I can count on everyone wanting to play. Unless your spacial recognition is awful - read as "can't match green edge to green edge type of awful" (which is the case of one of my friends who WILL NOT play the game after trying it once) it is a wonderful game.

My wife and I also like Alhambra which is made for more people, but has a 2 player variant in the rulebook.

Puerto Rico is also good 2 player (I really haven't played it much with a lot of folks.)

I've heard good things about Power Grid, but haven't had a chance to try it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend one of the Carcassonne games.

I have played the offical 2-player variants of both Settlers and Puerto Rico and while I thought Settlers 2-player was very boring, I have thoroughly enjoy Puerto Rico 2-player with the wife. We have played probably 25 times since I bought the game in January and although I usually get beat I still have a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Chris let me also welcome you to the site.
I'm with kharnik Settlers of Catan is a great game and if you are really in a pinch for players there are 2 player rules posted in the file section of the game entry.
Shogun and Puerto Rico are also great games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say if you want a good 2 player Carcassonne, Carcassonne: The City is the way to go. While the original is a good game, I find The City plays much better with only two and is a more fun in general. However it only plays up to four, so consider that.

Taluva is another two to four player game that I've recently fallen in love with. I played it with some non-gamer friends and they didn't want to stop playing. We played three games in a row that evening. It is a little abstract, but it's a beautiful game too.

There are actually tons to choose from. Attika (2-4) works really well with only two. If you like dice Nexus Ops (2-4) is a lot fun and works well with any number. Mr. Jack, Kahuna, Battle Line, Blue Moon, Lost Cities, among others, are all great two player games.

Good luck, and welcome to the Geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to throw in my two cents regarding Carcassonne. For 2 players, my personal opinion is that Carcassonne: The Castle is definitely the way to go.

And for simple, fun, quick, playable-with-two games, you can't go wrong with Hey, That's My Fish! or Through the Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at games like Hive and the project_gipf series. Blue Moon (as well as other games in the Kosmos_two-player_series) are good choices as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of Carcassone, I suggest a Carc-like game: Taluva

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.