Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:
I still feel the Ocean ship class is downgraded a lot when it come to firepower and burden. These large vessels where the largest ships buildt at the time. With 136 cannons and a tonnage of 5100 it was even stronger than Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad. HMS Victory was only 3500 tons.
So I am hoping for a French first rate with real strenght and firepower

Well, thanks a ,ot for the suggestion: we shall seriously consider that. A special French ship wopuld be useful indeed.

About your notes on relative power, anyway, take also caliber in consideration. When launched, Ocean had 118 guns. From http://threedecks.org :

Broadside Weight = 1260 French Livre (1309 lbs 616.77 kg)
Lower Gun Deck 32 French 36-Pounder
Middle Gun Deck 34 French 24-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck 34 French 12-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle 18 French 8-Pounder

This is quite equivalent to 1783-1793 HMS Victory:

Broadside Weight = 1328 Imperial Pound ( 602.248 kg)
Lower Gun Deck 30 British 42-Pounder
Middle Gun Deck 28 British 24-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck 30 British 12-Pounder
Quarterdeck 10 British 12-Pounder
Forecastle 2 British 32-Pound Carronade
Forecastle 2 British 12-Pounder
Roundhouse 2 British 24-Pound Carronade
Roundhouse 6 British 18-Pound Carronade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Canestri10 wrote:
Can you give us a short (and maybe long) term layout of what the future looks like for the WW2 line?

I think bombers are the next release and if I'm not mistaken you mentioned the Do.17 and Ju88? Will there be any Japanese bombers in future plans?

At the moment we will concentrate on Battle of Britain/European theatre bombers, to better cover that period. It should definitely be next set. Pacific will come just after.

Canestri10 wrote:
And the Midway Starter Set, is that guaranteed or does it dpend on the success of the BoB Starter?

Not sure it will be Midway - but Pacific anyway, with the most famed Japanese and US planes. Not fully decided yet. The measure of the success of the BoB set will decide if and when we will have it. From the first reaction that I saw, including a new distribution in Australia by Rival Sky Games (not sure if it also covers New Zealand) and in France by Asyncron Games (so I read online), I am very optimistic.

Tokhuah wrote:
Representation of the War in the Pacific is still missing some iconic planes. Battle of Midway would be welcomed
Others that would be great to see:

F4U Corsair
P-38 Lightning
G4M Mitsubishi "Betty"

Lightning and Corsair are on top of the wishlist. The Betty was due to appear in Wings of War: Rain of Destruction, that was never released for troubles of the publisher. But it is among the hot planes to choose among as soon as we add bombers to the Pacific front range.

Tokhuah wrote:
I am excited about the development of a point system for planes and pilot skills!

Well, please have a look here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?27029-Point-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have been looking at all the flight path system games and similar
ever since x-wing came out, trying to decide which ones to invest in
and i just got into sails of glory and about to get into ww1 wings as well.

for me the original card based system won over the template based ones.
impressive work in both the original design and further development over the years.

my questions:

-sails... pirates? they are coming right?
-would you ever consider taking the system to a sci-fi/fantasy theme?
space would offer an interesting challenge for the movement aspect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:

Seems to me one small bit of paint on the transom flag and every ship in the game is a pirate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate ships were lightly armed and fast. Just changing a flag really wouldn't do if you wanted them to be more historically correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:
-would you ever consider taking the system to a sci-fi/fantasy theme?
space would offer an interesting challenge for the movement aspect...

Pirates, well... I can not say anything. But it's a very concrete possibility.

Space, well... I can not say anything. But it's a very concrete possibility.

Pirates could be a variant of the actual Sails of Glory game. But Sci-Fi needs a quite deep rethinking. If space must be involved - of course Sci-Fi is coming with Wings of Glory: Tripods & Triplanes, but this will not require a big change into the system.
For space I would not want people to see a new game as just "Wings of War in space", as it happened with some recent releases by other publishing houses. I'd rather prefer a new design to allow players to really feel like spacecraft pilotss in 0 gravity between the stars. More on this later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:
for me the original card based system won over the template based ones.
impressive work in both the original design and further development over the years.

Thanks a lot for that. Apart for templates themselves, what I see as a loss is the fact that when they developed their system, they decided to give all spaceships the same set of possible moves - you use the templates for every gaming piece. Making a deck for each single plane allows you to make unique maneuvres - like the "turning stalls" for the Fokker D.VII, the short dives for the Phoenix D.I, curves of different turning radius for more oir less agine multi-engine planes, or whatever you feel like to add when developing new crafts. They just took the WW2 set of basic maneuvres (straights, 45° turns, 90° turns of various lenghts plus the totally out-of-theme Immelmann maneuvre) and stuck with it. Quite a limit.

I also think that the system has not been understood too well, when they adapted it to templates. Not only the Millennium Falcon with its larger base is too quick to be true to the movies where it can not shake off Imperial TIEs, but it also moves in a not too accurate way. To avoid some strange effects as a tail sliding awkwardly sideways when you turn at slow speed, you should not just use shorter curves when you apply them to larger bases, you should also change their shape as we did with large bombers' cards after a quite deep work and many experiments.

I would not bore you with further details, it's just to say that something of all the work you quote has been lost when these templates have been designed.

As with firing cones. They have been kept identical, but with a change: you do not measure range and sight from the origin of the cone to any point of the target base, but from the nearest point of the base to the nearest point of the base. Looks like a slight change, but effects are quite awful. Look down there: in both cases the X-Wing has a blocked sight against its target, the TIE at his back has not...

Ok, let's stop here. Anyway, if you want Wings of War/Glory with its original cards system to play in the Star War worlds, there are plenty of nice materials avalable for free even here on BGG. Since 2004, at the very first appearence of Wings of War, great BGGers developed and shared them.

Please see the Wings of War & Glory - Rethemed geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For pirates i was just thinking of adding them as a faction to sails
and expand on that game.
the pirate ships would function as a moving objective and it's role
would be to run and hide. (although we do have the swan class ships for
them to fight with)
maybe it would come with some card stock mist banks to hide in,
or dummy cards representing merchants ships, one of them secretly being
the pirate, or something like a schotland yard type thing.

then again, with pirate ships being so small, a whole new game might
be an excuse to scale up the models...

===

OMG! i hadn't herd of the tripods thing yet, that looks awesome and is
going right to the top of my wishlist thanks for mentioning that.

===

yeah FFG went for a simple lightweight quick and dirty
combat boardy game, whereas the glory system is much more of a simulation.

with space i am actually thinking of something entirely new.
it's main attraction would be the very different physics of space
and how that effects movement.
not even necessarily a combat game. it could be anything, like a pick up
and deliver racing game or something.

really my comment comes from seeing how you did flying and then sailing
particularly the sails and wind part of SoG) and being curious what you
might come up with for a space based system, with the very different
physics n stuff going on there.
not even thinking of a combat game necessarily.

that aiming rule in x-wing looks pretty bad lol.
ill bet that kind of decision making has a lot to do with wanting
to do tournament play n stuff like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We toyed with space since 2004 or so. Including when FFG asked to license the game mechanics of Wings of War for a Battlestar Galactica miniature game, back in 2007, and when they asked them for a Star Wars miniature game, in 2010.
Nothing good came out from these projects. Anyway, maybe, sooner or later you'll see something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:
ill bet that kind of decision making has a lot to do with wanting
to do tournament play n stuff like that.

Well, you can do tournaments even with Wings of War/Glory rules. Not a real issue. There have been many around the world, since 2004, and they went on well.

The real problem, in my opinion, is if you want to have tournaments as a way to compare players ability, or to sell stuff that people could see more powerful and helping them to win. We chosed the first option: so all effort has been in giving dogfifght scenarios or special missions where chances of winning are balanced, and sometimes in removing the luck factor from the game: several tournaments have been played giving comparable planes to players and with a fixed damages rule (as an example, WW1 A firing planes inflicting 3 points of damage at short range and 2 at long, instead than cards of damage with a random amount of points). So winners are players who were able to better plan, bluff and outsmart their opponents. They deserve to win, isn't it?

Another approach is the commercial one: release time after time new playing stuff that make the previous one quite obsolete, being stronger. A,nd maybe even forbid the use in tournament of some of the previous releases. This will force players to buy more and more from the new releases, to stay updated, and will make older items quite worthless when sold on the second hand market because new players will prefer the recently released stuff. Seen it in wargames as well as in collectable card games. Never liked that.

I prefer to respect the players' effort to join the game, no matter when it happened, and to avoid making anything obsolete - you can still use the gaming materials released in 2004, if you want. A very few planes have been updated, after better research and design, but in game terms even if you use the old versions you can play anyway. They are perfectly playable, even if historically a bit less accurate. And they could have a use in tournaments too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
Well, you can do tournaments even with Wings of War/Glory rules. Not a real issue. There have been many around the world, since 2004, and they went on well.

The real problem, in my opinion, is if you want to have tournaments as a way to compare players ability, or to sell stuff that people could see more powerful and helping them to win. We chosed the first option:

That is part of what has made this game so enjoyable for me. Thank you.

angiolillo wrote:
A very few planes have been updated, after better research and design,

Could you please tell us which ones?
If you could also tell us how they've been updated would be great too.

Thank you,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, publishers see organised play just as a form of marketing their products.
but with the growth of the hobby and the FLGS needing to adapt and find things to offer their customers that the internet cant perhaps organised play will come to be shaped more by consumer demands in the future.

Quote:

angiolillo wrote:
A very few planes have been updated, after better research and design,

Could you please tell us which ones?
If you could also tell us how they've been updated would be great too.

Thank you,

i too am curious, does this include the gotha's propeller?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not referring to models, but to game statistics.
In the very first box, Wings of War: Famous Aces, we simplified and gave the Sopwith Triplane the same speed of the Fokker Dr.I. When we did the miniatures, we made it a bit quicker as due.
The maneuvrability of the Spèitfire has been further enhanced in Wings of Glory: WW2 Battle of Britain Starter Set adding a couple of narrow curves as extra maneuvres. The Zero will get them too.
When Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II appeared, it understimated the F4F firepower, as it had light machineguns instead than heavy ones.
The Airco D.H.2, Halberstadt D.III, Morane Saulnier N and Fokker E.III have been reassigned maneuvre decks when the miniature were made, to revise relative agility.
I can not remember anything else at the moment, apart for a couple of typos maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to say thanks for designing my favourite game of all time (Wings of Glory). I'm also a big fan of Sails of Glory. Hopefully there are many more planes to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
I was not referring to models, but to game statistics.
In the very first box, Wings of War: Famous Aces, we simplified and gave the Sopwith Triplane the same speed of the Fokker Dr.I. When we did the miniatures, we made it a bit quicker as due.
The maneuvrability of the Spèitfire has been further enhanced in Wings of Glory: WW2 Battle of Britain Starter Set adding a couple of narrow curves as extra maneuvres. The Zero will get them too.
When Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II appeared, it understimated the F4F firepower, as it had light machineguns instead than heavy ones.
The Airco D.H.2, Halberstadt D.III, Morane Saulnier N and Fokker E.III have been reassigned maneuvre decks when the miniature were made, to revise relative agility.
I can not remember anything else at the moment, apart for a couple of typos maybe.

Yes, thanks. The game stats is what I was thinking of. I thought a plane (or a few) changed maneuver decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prince of Guelph wrote:
I'd just like to say thanks for designing my favourite game of all time (Wings of Glory). I'm also a big fan of Sails of Glory. Hopefully there are many more planes to come.

Well, the Wings of Glory: WW2 Battle of Britain Starter Set has now been released, and with it the Spit, 109, Stuka and Hurricane in Squadron Packs. Some BoB bombers will follow. And if the series is succesful enough, a Pacific Starter Set will finally bring P-38 and Corsair into the game. With the Zero coming back more agile than before.

Albatros D.III, Ni.17, Re.8 and Ufag C.I are among the 50 metric tons of stuff sailing from Asia to Ares' warehouse in USA. Brand new planes will follow and a reprint of the ballooons is due by the year. Then it should be the turn of the long waited-for reprint of Se.5a and its peer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
Prince of Guelph wrote:
Hopefully there are many more planes to come.

Albatros D.III, Ni.17, Re.8 and Ufag C.I are among the 50 metric tons of stuff sailing from Asia to Ares' warehouse in USA. Brand new planes will follow and a reprint of the ballooons is due by the year. Then it should be the turn of the long waited-for reprint of Se.5a and its peer...

This is really good news! I have these (Albatross, Niueport, Re and Ufag) on pre-order...now looking forward to the balloon reprints and the new planes and other reprints.

Any clues as to what the new planes will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sopwith Pup and Pfalz D.XII are the main candidates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Looking forward to the pup...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
Prince of Guelph wrote:

Well, the Wings of Glory: WW2 Battle of Britain Starter Set has now been released, and with it the Spit, 109, Stuka and Hurricane in Squadron Packs. Some BoB bombers will follow. And if the series is succesful enough, a Pacific Starter Set will finally bring P-38 and Corsair into the game. With the Zero coming back more agile than before.

Can't wait for the next few waves for WW1 (including the Se.5a! Also balloons! Are there any plans to do reprints of non starter sets? I'd love to get my hands on another Heinkel He.111 H-3 Stab./KG53 (especially with the Battle of Britain stuff out now) and I can't seem to find a P-40 Warhawk (Hill) which I want desperately .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that everything will be reprinted, with time. He.111 probably earlier than P-40, given the new Battle of Britain set.
Se5a and all its series (Breguet 14, Rumpler C.IV and Pfalz D.III) has already begun the reprinting process. E.III, Morane Saulnier, D.H.2 and Halberstadt should come in the next months too. And Ni.17, Albatros D.III, Ufag C.I and R.E.8 should be released tomorrow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of talk about wings of glory in this forum, But what about Sails of glory.
Can you reveal any news what Ares are planning for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Commander and Crew Skill Pack with cards for skills and a few special equipements is pretty ready to be produced. And stuff for a different setting than Napoleonic Era. But let's wait for official announcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt LeMay
msg tools
Thank you for taking the time to provide updates and for a great game. I have recently discovered Wings of Glory after receiving the Battle of Britain set for Christmas. I am now on a buying frenzy for as many early war planes as I can find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
A Commander and Crew Skill Pack with cards for skills and a few special equipements is pretty ready to be produced. And stuff for a different setting than Napoleonic Era. But let's wait for official announcements.
Good news! ...Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] |