Popular Tags: [View All]
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These rules give you all of the rules you need to carry out Napoleonic ship to ship combat

The rules set starts out with a description of the possible scales you might use and describes the basing of you model ships.

Next it describes use of the Wind-Compass ,Rake zone templates.

The Turn Sequence has 6 main sections each of which is broken down into a number of sub steps. These are...

Movement. Command. Firing. Command2. Boarding. Repair.

Movement is a fully featured and take into account, sail setting bearing of the wind, weight of ship and turning templates. The mechanism is very simple but I've found the results to be very satisfying and rich. An interesting rule whereby the leeward player moves his ships first adds an especially nice touch, reflecting the control the windward captain would have.

Command allows you to change the set of your sails. Issues communications and mobilise Boarding parties.

Firing deals with the firing of the ships main guns. It takes into account crew quality, range and of course the weight of metal that can be thrown. Standard dice are used and a ship has a number of "Gun Dice"
usually 5's or 6's indicate hits. A second table is then used to determin in the effects based on target type ( hull or sail ). Critical hits are accounted for. These can put guns out of action permanently or temporarily. Sails can be destroyed or sent over board, masts can be felled, below waterline shots are possible.

A nice consideration is that you may claim "passing" shots as you move you ship. For instance during your movement you might pass the rear of a ship, in rake position, and then continue moveing out of fire arc. So by claiming a passing shot you can still take that shot when it comes to the fire phase of the turn.

Ships coming into contact carry out boarding actions and this once again takes many factors into consideration and results in a simple die roll.

Repairs can be made sail, steering, pumps, guns etc.

As well as the rules you get a Ship Sheet that allows you to record 4 ships to a page, Fire Arc templates, turning templates and wind-compass templates.

Finally a short section gives you some sample ship stats broken down by nationality.

I've played a number of Fighting-Sail type rules in my time and I have to say that these rules are my favourites. They are easily learnt within a single game but still offer depth and speed of play to keep me coming back.

I've played a game with 6 ships per side in a hour and a half.

Finally, they are free, they are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've submitted a 'correction' for its "title" since nobody else had noticed this as of yet, until now! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.