Popular Tags: [View All]
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I got my wife to finally play the game the other night. The first time for both of us. We played a couple of the beginner scenarios with teh basic rules and both enjoyed the game. So now we are planning on playing with the full set of rules. But my wife is a bit intimidated by trying to create an army for the first time.

So my question is, if some of the more experienced Heroscape players would not mind suggesting some sample 350, 400, or 500 point armies for my wife to use? I think she would enjoy it at first if she was just given an army then after a few plays I add the create an army to it for her.

Here is the sets and expansions I have, so any units from them would be fine.

HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
HeroScape Expansion Set: Orm's Return (Wave 2.5) - Road to the Forgotten Forest and Heroes of Laur
HeroScape Expansion Set: Thaelenk Tundra (Wave 4.5)
HeroScape Expansion Set: Thora's Vengeance (Wave 5) - Ninjas and Samurai, Warriors and Soulborgs, Gladiators & Agent
HeroScape Expansion Set: Dawn of Darkness (Wave 6) - Archers & Kyrie and Shades & Orcs

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you played with the regular set a bit and she knows the charcters in that I would suggest that she take some of the ones from that as they will be more familier to her. The familiarity should help make her comfortable.

Morrow Warriors are great arguably the best 50 points in the game. She should take them. The airborne are great... not so good if they never drop in but with a full 500 point army the game should go on long enough that they will. Then maybe sargent Drake to take out your range guys. So that is 260. Have her take the viking squad. They are 50 so that is 310. Raelin knocks it up to about 400 and then maybe for a hundred more she could take the Krav Mag agents.

That is a very sold 500 point army that no one would sneeze at.

Marror Warriors 50
Airborne Elite 110
Sargent Drake 100
Viking Squad 50
Raelin 80
Krav Mag agents 100

Other I am sure will chime in with some good suggestions.

One little bit of advice. You will most definately want to use and will get to enjoy those expansions but I would suggest just sticking to the master set characters for a little while. There are lots of choices and it should make the game for fu nfor you wife as she will have less to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be best served by wandering over to www.heroscapers.com

Lots of people from there are here, of course, but everyone there is (obviously) a heroscape player, and you'll quickly find yourself more army suggestions than you know what to do with in a year's worth of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't use any suggestions!!!!

I would let her experiment; that is half the fun of Heroscape. Let her try different combos.

Also, be aware that a given 500 point army might destroy your opponents army on one map and then be destroyed by another army on a different map. Heroscape is a game of matchups. The winner is often determined by how well the army matches up against an opponent.

For a starting point she should consider picking a shooter, a hero and a good melee squad.

Also, have her pay attention to some of the card interactions. For example, some squads can bond with a leader. Given the sets you have that might not be too relevant (e.g. Romans/Marcus; Orcs/Krug/Grimnak/Swog; Greeks/Parmenio etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that TedW makes some great points, especially in regards to having some units that "complement" each other.

To maximimize fun, I usually just like to pick squads/heroes that I think are the coolest - if your wife really likes dragons, then she should pick one of the dragons, even if there may be more "fiscally responsible" units to draft.

Lastly, a good balance between flyers, heroes/mosters, squads, ranged attackers, etc usually works out best.

I think you'll both really enjoy the advanced rules.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still suggest you start by giving her less choice.. as well as yourself. It might be daunting to have to both remember all your characters powers and all your opponents for her if you have tons of different units.

As she plays a bit and gets familier with them I am sure she will not have any trouble but I think if you are not carefull you could scare her off of with the "there is just too much stuff to remember and I just want to play." problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ted - I'd let her choose, but perhaps make suggestions about other units that fit well with what she likes the look of, plus giving some variety in terms of ranged/melee/heroes. I'd also try to choose a fun-based army myself (rather than picking something dsigned to give her a sound thrashing).

Secondly, I'd agree with Stephen - go for stuff that she thinks looks or sounds coool, without worrying too much about stats or abilities. If she thinks that the "Charley's Angels" and the "Men in Black" sound fun, use them. If she'd rather try an all-Japanese army, go for that.

Thirdly, I agree with Paul - give her less choice, to avoid overwhelming her (or yourslef). Now by that i mean let her pick the army, but stick to it for three or four games. Unless your own army gets totally overwhelmed (or proves to be completely dominating), stick with yours for several games too. This gives both of you the opportunity to become familiar with what you each have, their powers, how they work together and with the terrain. It worked for my other half.

I'd also stick to about 350 points to start with. The games are shorter, which allows you to play more of them in the time available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
Warbanner wrote:
You might be best served by wandering over to www.heroscapers.com

Lots of people from there are here, of course, but everyone there is (obviously) a heroscape player, and you'll quickly find yourself more army suggestions than you know what to do with in a year's worth of gaming.

This link will take you directly to Heroscapers.com "competitive armies discussion forum", where you will find many armies in almost every size.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/viewforum.php?f=29

I also agree with Richard Dewsbery, 350 pts. are better to start collecting experience with the draft.
And the Krav Magas are a beginner's best friend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gollum wrote:

And the Krav Magas are a beginner's best friend

Yup, build around these guys at first - they are fun to play, solid figures that compliment most any others, and will utilize a lot of rules, speeding along familiarity with the advanced rules.

And a third here to the suggestion of perusing www.heroscapers.com - of course, I recommend using the search function, but don't be shy about starting a new thread either with specific questions. Friendly folk there on the whole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.