Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game from the first KS, and I've tried to get it to the table three times. Each time it's been a huge headache to get going because I can't actually teach 4 people entirely different games - in fact I can barely remember all the stuff myself.

Like many others, I thrive best being taught a game by people who've played it. So this has been a difficult one for me - I've read through all the rules, but there are so many cases of X vs Y that I have trouble bringing it all up quickly.

And honestly I find the "cheat sheet" to be quite difficult to parse quickly, lacking a lot of graphic design that could have given players visual shortcuts to relevant rules quicker than reading the whole thing top to bottom.

HOW OH HOW do you learn/teach the game easily to new players?

HALP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, print out the new rules and summary sheets. They have been heavily edited to be easier to use.

Second, what I did was play a few solo games with different roles. That way, I'm only teaching one person: me.

Third, when I did teach other people, they were only allowed to choose roles I was already familiar with. For example, I've not yet had a game where anyone was the Thief because I haven't had a chance to learn it yet.

Fourth, if everyone was new to the game, I kept it to a three player game. That way I only had to teach two people.

Fifth, I had people stick with the same role for a few games. Otherwise we're not making any progress.

Sixth, we didn't even finish our first two attempts at a 3 person game. Everyone had fun, but my point is to have low expectations. The game takes a while to learn.

Also, keep in mind that it's one thing to learn how to play your own role correctly. It's another thing to play your role well, something which requires understanding your opponents' roles as well. Again, it take a few plays.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it a homework assignment

Give everybody their roles ahead of time.
Attach the PDF of the rules.
Attach a link to your favorite video "how to play."

Then quickly summarize the rules collaboratively at the table right before play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Here's how I did it. It's a bit of a time investment.

Play each mode solo.

Get a three player game together. Play the Cave, which hopefully you've been reading up on.

Give each player a brief synopsis of their turn, by running down the turn order on their player board. When their turn comes up, walk them through it.

Point out things that are important, remind them of cool things they can do.

You'll learn the Cave, they'll learn their roles.

Then start getting new players. There are 5 learning curves to hit, so it can take some time to cover them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.