Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired Fluxx as part of a BGG trade. I was looking forward to playing this game as it came pretty highly rated from a buddy of mine who works at my FLGS. This same buddy suggested Set which has been a big hit with my family. Would Fluxx be able to follow in Set's footsteps?

We sat down with a group of 6 which in hindsight was definately too many. I explained the rules and I could already see that my youngest sister Kerin and my mom were confused. So I decided to start the game, so that several players could go before their turn. I played the first Goal card and explained that until someone else played another Goal card, this was how you won. "What? I don't get it." says Kerin while my mom looks in bewilderment. This continued on for several turns. At one point Kerin decides to play a Keeper, but instead of playing it in front of her, she throws it at the pile of cards and yells "COOKIES!!"

The game carried on for about 3 more turns. Whenever someone added a New Rule card, things got really out of hand. Eventually, my sister Caitlin says "Screw this, I'm out." and throwns her cards down. That was all the excuse my mom needed to do the same thing. My girlfriend also quit at this point leaving Kerin (who seemed to have no idea what was going on) and Ken (Caitlin's boyfriend). At this point some kind of lightbulb went off in Kerin's head and she realized how the game worked. Ken and I both seemed to really enjoy randomness of the game. I was able to win the first game not too long after that. The three of us played one more time before putting it away.

I say this game was a failure because its the only game I've introduced my family to that they didn't like. The haters said it was too random. I'm not sure what else you should expect from a game called Fluxx.

I think Ken and I will play this game more in the future. I'm really curious to see how it works with 2. 3 was a good number and I think 4 would work just as well. Unfortunatly, any more than that just gets to crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Congratulations Fluxx, you're the first game my family h
stormseeker75 wrote:
I recently acquired Fluxx as part of a BGG trade. I was looking forward to playing this game as it came pretty highly rated from a buddy of mine who works at my FLGS. This same buddy suggested Set which has been a big hit with my family. Would Fluxx be able to follow in Set's footsteps?

We sat down with a group of 6 which in hindsight was definately too many. I explained the rules and I could already see that my youngest sister Kerin and my mom were confused. So I decided to start the game, so that several players could go before their turn. I played the first Goal card and explained that until someone else played another Goal card, this was how you won. "What? I don't get it." says Kerin while my mom looks in bewilderment. This continued on for several turns. At one point Kerin decides to play a Keeper, but instead of playing it in front of her, she throws it at the pile of cards and yells "COOKIES!!"

The game carried on for about 3 more turns. Whenever someone added a New Rule card, things got really out of hand. Eventually, my sister Caitlin says "Screw this, I'm out." and throwns her cards down. That was all the excuse my mom needed to do the same thing. My girlfriend also quit at this point leaving Kerin (who seemed to have no idea what was going on) and Ken (Caitlin's boyfriend). At this point some kind of lightbulb went off in Kerin's head and she realized how the game worked. Ken and I both seemed to really enjoy randomness of the game. I was able to win the first game not too long after that. The three of us played one more time before putting it away.

I say this game was a failure because its the only game I've introduced my family to that they didn't like. The haters said it was too random. I'm not sure what else you should expect from a game called Fluxx.

I think Ken and I will play this game more in the future. I'm really curious to see how it works with 2. 3 was a good number and I think 4 would work just as well. Unfortunatly, any more than that just gets to crazy.

Fluxx is excellent with 2. cuts down on the chaos a bit and makes it a little tamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how do you think Zombie Fluxx will be? zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Fluxx looks like it's going to be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tolbert
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
3 or 4 always seemed like the perfect number. 6 worked for people that already liked the game, but generally when we introduced new people with 6 players, they didn't like it.

Sorry your family doesn't like it...this one is a big hit with my friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.