Hide
24 Posts

Codenames» Forums » General

Subject: Call for playtesting Codenames App from CGE Digital rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miloš Miko
msg tools
The number 1. Party Game at Boardgamegeek is coming to your devices! We at CGE Digital are currently searching for active external testers for our upcoming testing phase of Codenames!

Right now, we are just looking for players who would like to test our implementation of the game. This test is going to focus mainly on gameplay and how the game can handle a large amount of players. Testing is going to launch at the end of December.

We need a lot of players so don’t be shy and send us an email to digitaltesters@czechgames.com with the following information.

What device are you going to use for testing?(iOS or Android)

How often will you be able to test/play?

Please do not be surprised if we do not reply right away. We will contact you once testing begins.

CGE Digital

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryn W
Australia
brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Application Sent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
App sent

Really curious how you'll implement this... Would you have operatives voting? A "caller" of sorts? Or is it only one operative? Also, PLEASE make multiplayer asynchronous!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryn W
Australia
brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
It's now early to mid January.

So who has applied and been successful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brisdaz wrote:
It's now early to mid January.

So who has applied and been successful?
I've replied but heard nothing back yet.

I once got an e-mail from them for something else that went straight into my spam, so I keep checking that, or hoping someone here will post if they hear something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miloš Miko
msg tools
Hello,

yes testing has already started, but just a fraction of players was let in with the first wave, mainly those with Android devices and not all of them. We are still tweaking the app for players with iOS devices.

But worry not, we haven't forgotten about you guys. We will let another group in as soon as we are ready.

Wulf
CGE Digital
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf_09 wrote:
We are still tweaking the app for players with iOS devices.

But worry not, we haven't forgotten about you guys. We will let another group in as soon as we are ready.

Wulf
CGE Digital

Can I make a request? Please, please, please make the app accessible to the blind via Voiceover on iOS (and the appropriate system on Android as well)! Codenames is a great game in terms of blind/low-vision folks being fully able to play, which is not the case for so many boardgames. Carrying that over to the digital version would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryn W
Australia
brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Wulf_09 wrote:
Hello,

yes testing has already started, but just a fraction of players was let in with the first wave, mainly those with Android devices and not all of them. We are still tweaking the app for players with iOS devices.

Wulf
CGE Digital

1 month later. Any updates? I wish you would have some people who said they played the game on Tabletop Simulator game play. We would have some useful suggestions from playing on a public server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
msg tools
I'm interested and on Android 6.1.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miloš Miko
msg tools
Greetings Agents,

Thank you in participating in the first testing wave of the Codenames app. We received lots of useful feedback and data. We already made improvements based on in, and more will follow. We are sure the app will be great, and it will be also because of you!

However, it will take several months before we will launch the next wave of Codenames playtesting, as now, our main focus is on Through the Ages app, which is about to be published soon. Stay tunned, we will return to you with shinnier and more polished Codenames app, and we hope you will join us again then.

Thank you for understanding.

CGE Digital

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It seems we may get news soon...

"Other CGE news revolved around the app for Codenames. I wasn't with Brad for this interview, so I'm eager to see what's going on with CGE's mega-hit. Brad did tell me that it looked fantastic and that they're handling online play a little differently. Unlike other games, you cannot replace a human in Codenames with a bot if someone drops out. To fix the problem, CGE has created a system in which players who find themselves in a game where someone drops can send out a call for help. Other players will see this call for help and can jump into the game to help the game finish. Pretty slick. I'm probably botching my description, so keep an eye open for Brad's Codenames video for the full scoop."

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/68352/app-news-our-2017-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4_Qc-Ofys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Has anyone heard any news on a release date or perhaps another round of testing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryn W
Australia
brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Through the AGes has been relased leaving CGE with more time to finish Codenames Digital Edition.

Any news?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwen
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisdaz wrote:
Through the AGes has been relased leaving CGE with more time to finish Codenames Digital Edition.

Any news?

There will be more news after Through the Ages for Steam (PC/Mac) is released. Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Yay... soon...

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/75287/app-news-warhammer-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwen
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kunkasaurus wrote:

After successful release of Through the Ages on Steam we held a meeting concerning Codenames yesterday.
The bittersweet news that I have is that we decided to redesign some parts of the app, which we believe will make the players experience much more enjoyable. This decision was not easy because it will significantly delay the next wave of testing that you were hoping to be part of.
I know you would like to know when is it going to happen, but it is too soon to start guessing dates at this point.
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Elwen wrote:
Kunkasaurus wrote:

After successful release of Through the Ages on Steam we held a meeting concerning Codenames yesterday.
The bittersweet news that I have is that we decided to redesign some parts of the app, which we believe will make the players experience much more enjoyable. This decision was not easy because it will significantly delay the next wave of testing that you were hoping to be part of.
I know you would like to know when is it going to happen, but it is too soon to start guessing dates at this point.
Thank you!
I don't mind. I appreciate you care about quality so much. In the mean time, could you give us a teaser of any sort? Perhaps a new feature or usability improvement. I know I'm particularly curious about whether the variant with both pictures and words is included... and about whether Duet is included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elwen wrote:
Kunkasaurus wrote:

Thank you!
So when the next round is ready, we'll have an updated beta app to test if we're on the testing list? Looking forward to seeing how the redesign works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwen
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too soon for teasers

And yes, we will eventually invite new testers as well as those who were part of the original beta. Once we open new registration I will post info into this thread too. But don't hold your breath there is several months of hard work ahead of us if everything goes smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryn W
Australia
brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
brisdaz wrote:
I wish you would have some people who said they played the game on Tabletop Simulator game play. We would have some useful suggestions from playing on a public server.

This was not replied to.

I'm a member of a Codenames discord server and a steam group admin of a Codenames fan group. I could put a call out for any surveys you wish to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Anderson
Germany
flag msg tools
I really do not understand how they can not get it done to give us an app to this easy game. It should not be rocket science or magic. Or they should make it free for all the creative minds among the community if they don't have the guts for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Kunka
United States
flag msg tools
mb
For me, it's helpful to remember that Codenames is their creation and financial responsibility. While I do have a strong connection with their product... I'm not owed an app. Likewise, it's ok if I begin to favor other products.

Of course, I do hope we get some news soon. I can only speculate the delay:
- Not enough financial motivation
- Network issues
- Difficulty coding all the prohibited phrases
- Desire to add features for both offline and online play... I'm particularly hoping for offline.
- Desire to include words, pictures, words+pictures in both competitive and cooperative modes.
- Desire to add other IP

Maybe Essen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kunkasaurus wrote:
For me, it's helpful to remember that Codenames is their creation and financial responsibility. While I do have a strong connection with their product... I'm not owed an app. Likewise, it's ok if I begin to favor other products.

Of course, I do hope we get some news soon. I can only speculate the delay:
- Not enough financial motivation
- Network issues
- Difficulty coding all the prohibited phrases
- Desire to add features for both offline and online play... I'm particularly hoping for offline.
- Desire to include words, pictures, words+pictures in both competitive and cooperative modes.
- Desire to add other IP

Maybe Essen...
- Small team that is currently working on Through the Ages, one of the best implementations of any game, and in this case, of one of the best board games out there.
- Takes the time to make an app right, not fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls