I just thought I would share my house rules. Note that I strongly prefer the bidding mechanic (with limited ways to attack) to the more war game versions created by the Titans expansion, Egyptian troops, or original Hades. I also think the Hades mini-gods just add to game length and complexity without improving the game.
I prefer to play with the following:
-Original island map
-Hades god, new creatures, heroes
-Kronos god, Titans, artifacts, & special metropolises
1-Winged Sandals artifact - Instead permits the containing army to move (using a normal Ares/Hades move) to any island you control containing a building. (the original power is useless on the original map)
2-Monster figures - upkeep for 1 gold.
3-Empusa creature - Removed from the game. She is useless.
4-Hades God - Gains in strength by death only. Each time a unit is killed, add two dice.
5-University - Reduces the cost of Heroes/Artifacts by 1 GP each. Cannot reduce upkeep.
6-Kronos - Used in 5 player games only.
7-Titans - When attacking by paying 1/2/3+ GPs, only other Titans can participate.
I like your idea about rolling dice for the Hades track only when units die. That has a cool thematic feel, Hades being called by the wickedness of mortals or something, and also probably works well in terms of raising the likelihood of counterattacks - battles beget battles.
1. Good change.
2. Good, but may need clarification about certain interactions, for example, what about Kraken?
3. Why not implement a fix instead of just removing her? Seems lousy. I would suggest a change so a player may keep her until they want to trigger her effect during their turn. It would (probably, not tested) present some mildly interesting scenarios where you can position yourself in the turn order so that you can steal the money before the Necropolis' owners turn.
4. I'm mixed on this one. I like the thematic effect of death bringing about the presence of the God of the Underworld. I don't like it being entirely dependent on players actions. I would rather keep the normal rules, 2 dice per turn, but also add so that each unit elimination on the board immediately gives +1 to Hades' timer. I would still give an accelerating effect and realistically only resulting in Hades appearing a turn (at max 2 turns) in advance than usual. The more Hades the better in my book!
5. Good change. I've considered adding a maximum discount of 1 gold for Heroes' upkeep (that is: Own at least 1 University; get 1 Gold discount on all your Heroes), but it might be too powerful.
6. Strongly dislike, why exclude major game mechanics? If solid motivations are given for this change I might be swayed, but as it stand; why?
7. Huge nerf to Kronos and makes Ares OP, unless you give Ares the restriction of not affecting Titans in any way. Why all the Kronos hate?