BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Clue for Two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kathy hills
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hi everyone! I just joined the group. I'm a Clue fan of longstanding, but I wanted a game to play when there are just 2 players (often). I wrote Hasbro to ask if they had a suggestion about adjusting gameplay for that purpose, and they said "not possible" and suggested I get the Clue card game. Well, they had their wires crossed because the card game requires the same number of players as the board game. I really want to do this and have been thinking of dealing a third hand down that the 2 players will draw from in some fashion during the progress of the game. Has anyone tried anything like this? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help. P.S. I'm really pissed off at Hasbro!

Kathy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kathy, you might want to try this variant posted by CDRodeffer: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/29072.

Also, why the sour grapes for Hasbro? It seems like they at least responded to your query. Clue would be difficult to play with 2 because of the deduction component. Let me know how the variant works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
While this isn't clue and it's difficult to find in the States, Mr. Jack might be the game you're looking for and here is a link to the game page:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21763

There are a few Canadian Online retailers that carry it including www.germangames.com and www.fungamescafe.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation of Mr. Jack, which I think may be just what you're looking for if you want to play a good two-player deduction game. If only the Canadian dollar was as weak compared to the US dollar as it once was...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I third it...

Mr. Jack!!!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wickline
United States
Zanesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Electronic Boardgame version of Clue caled "Clue FX" (it came in a big blue box) is listed as a 2 - 4 player version of the game. I believe it also "talked". I am not sure if it is still available or not, but you might find it on ebay. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also look at http://boardgames.about.com/od/deductiongame1/Free_Games_Ded.... These are some free deduction games for two players that were designed as part of a contest a couple of years back. I can't really vouch for any of them, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kathy hills
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link - it sounds promising. The reason I was mad at Hasbro was because they suggested the card game as a 2-person alternate to the board game. But the card game isn't for 2 people; it's the same as the board game. Of course, I should have read the description on Amazon when I ordered it, but it didn't occur to me. Thanks to everyone else and the suggestion about Mr. Jack. I'll certainly check that out too.

Kathy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out 221B Baker St. It's out of print but not hard to find on Ebay and sometimes in Thrift stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kathy and welcome to the wonderful world of better boardgames!

I can vouch for Clue SFX or whatever the US version is called. It does work 2P and is pretty much the same game. But a LOT of the flavour goes out of Clue when you're down to 2 players. 221b Baker Street also works well.

I'm not sure what it is you like about Clue in comparison to the other stuff you have played (or even what that is (I'll check out your collection in a minute and edit as necessary)) but as you're new here, it would be worthwhile checking out the other 2 player games that are out there. Whilst they may not scratch your deduction itch, they will provide a lot of other entertainment, often in similarly non-confrontational ways.

There are a lot of 2P geeklists which will suggest titles, but as starting points I would check out any of the Kosmos published series (Jambo is our favourite at the moment) and my wife enjoys 2 Player Puerto Rico.

Good luck with whatecver you decide to go with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Kathy,

Another game I think is well worth checking out is Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases , it's a proper game of deduction and drips atmosphere. Out of print for ages but appears on e-bay quite often, probably some here on geek too.

Have fun,
Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kathy1945 wrote:
I'm a Clue fan of longstanding, but I wanted a game to play when there are just 2 players (often)[....] I really want to do this and have been thinking of dealing a third hand down that the 2 players will draw from in some fashion during the progress of the game. Has anyone tried anything like this? Any suggestions?

Teriyaki Donuts already pointed you to my Scaled Clue variant that I use whenever playing with fewer than 6 people, but your idea of an extra hand (or draw pile) has a lot of merit, and I think it can be made into a workable 2-player Clue variant. One of the problems with playing Clue with low numbers of players is that everyone starts with more information than is ideal for an interesting game. It's a murder mystery! No one should know very much at the beginning, otherwise it's not much of a mystery.

So, running with your idea, what if, for 2 players, you deal each player 4 cards at the beginning of the game, then leave the rest in a central draw stack. Any time either player makes a suggestion that the other player cannot show a card to disprove, that player (the one who was unable to disprove the suggestion, for lack of evidence) draws a card from the pile into her hand?

This seems more fair to me than the alternatives of either the suggesting player drawing the card (would encourage a hoarding strategy by suggesting combinations of cards already held in-hand) or both players drawing cards (evidence would become available too quickly). But the drawing cards idea was yours. What do you think?

Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kathy hills
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. There's obviously a profile where your game preferences are listed. I'll look for it. Clark, since you are the inventer of scaled Clue, I'm glad you responded with your idea for the Clue card game. I think it's a good method, and I'm going to try it out as soon as I can get my husband nailed to a chair. He's a little shy now, since I tried to get into the Catan card game for 2 - it was a toughie!!!

Kathy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your 2-player Clue variant.

kathy1945 wrote:
He's a little shy now, since I tried to get into the Catan card game for 2 - it was a toughie!!!

An easier and faster playing game that has many of the same elements of Catan Card Game is The Colonists of Natick.

Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.