Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in thinking that one places a revolt marker in any province in which one collects taxes? Assuming one is not already there (which prompts a revolt, I believe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do place a revolt marker in any province where you collect taxes.

If one or more is already there, you fight a revolt and then place an additional revolt marker into the province (assuming you survived the revolt).

The strength of the revolt is determined by the number of revolt markers, so it is important to keep adding them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
You do place a revolt marker in any province where you collect taxes.

If one or more is already there, you fight a revolt and then place an additional revolt marker into the province (assuming you survived the revolt).

The strength of the revolt is determined by the number of revolt markers, so it is important to keep adding them.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heim
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to add the person gets his/her gold even if the revolt is successful. Also revolt markers go on provinces that you collect rice from too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bannor2000 wrote:
Just want to add the person gets his/her gold even if the revolt is successful. Also revolt markers go on provinces that you collect rice from too.

Are you sure about the rice collection? I see nothing about that in the rules, although it does make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's the way it works.

You can see a detailed discussion here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1333286#1333286

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see nothing to indicate that the chart is official in any way. I suspect that the writer is assuming that the rice harvest is treated the same re: revolt marker placement.

My gaming group was puzzled by the revolt marker placement, and I would like something official to point at regarding rice harvesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all comes from the rules.

Page 7-8 of the rules:

"When a player collects taxes or rice from
a province, it is possible that a revolt will
occur. If no revolt occurs, or if a revolt is successfully put
down, 1 revolt marker is placed in the province."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Thank you. The wording in that passage is rather confusing, along with it being split by the page divide.

One hopes that the second edition rules will phrase it more clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not all that clear.

Hence, the other thread trying to make it clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the game, so I'm taking the quote above out of context, but I have to say it sounds clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I haven't seen the game, so I'm taking the quote above out of context, but I have to say it sounds clear to me.

It sounds clear when someone reads that rule out loud. The trick to understanding is actually getting that rule read properly in the rulebook. The way the rules are formatted, it's pretty easy to read this rule wrong, although the "taxes or rice" part of it is not usually the hard part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said before, and I'll say again that nobody could claim that the Shogun rulebook is any kind of model for clear presentation, or ease of understanding... but the game design itself is a work of genius!

(Once you've worked out what the rules are by flipping back and forth through the rulebook about five seperate times.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Atmaja
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bannor2000 wrote:
Just want to add the person gets his/her gold even if the revolt is successful.

wow thx for your information. I thought we don't get the gold/rice if the revolt is succesful

another question regarding revolt marker:
if I conquer another player's province with a revolt marker on it, the revolt marker stays or being removed from the province?

thx =)

this game rocks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a question about revolt markers. I just read the rules and have yet to play. It seems that peasants are more of a threat than opposing players the way I read the rules, so I just want to clear something up. When a single revolt marker is placed, nothing happens. When a taxed a second time a one farmer revolt takes place and another revolt marker is placed, if you survive. What I am having a hard time with is that the way I read the rules the only time the revolt markers are removed are in the winter. Are they removed at any other time? Do the markers continue to stack up for a potentially devistating revolt?

Then reading this I had the same question as above, if you take a province with a revolt marker in it, are the peasants still unpleased with being ruled or does a new ruler put them at ease? So do the marker stay when a province changes hands?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Atmaja
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to answer based on my group experiences

What I am having a hard time with is that the way I read the rules the only time the revolt markers are removed are in the winter. Are they removed at any other time?
I think so, except in the event where you can remove 1 revolt marker if you have a temple or theatre (I forgot which one)

Do the markers continue to stack up for a potentially devistating revolt? yes, if you continue to tax the same province (oh how cruel laugh ), the markers will continue to stack overtime. IMO you should put 5-6 cubes and you can handle the revolts providing the tower doesn't store too many green cubes laugh

if you take a province with a revolt marker in it, are the peasants still unpleased with being ruled or does a new ruler put them at ease? So do the marker stay when a province changes hands?

my gaming group feels the marker should be removed. hey they dont like the previous governing army who taxed them...so imo they will support the new government...unfortunately the new goverment comes for same purpose as the previous one ahhahahahaha poor peasants !!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daan haeyen
Netherlands
Amersfoort
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the markers are supposed to be removed when the province is conquered.

Daan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolt markers are only removed in the following circumstances:

1) Wintertime after any rice shortage revolts are checked and resolved.

2) Player vs Player battles that end in a tie causing the province to revert to neutral. (all buildings are lost as well)

3) Farmer vs Player battles in which farmers win thus causing the province to revert to neutral. (all buildings are lost as well)

While you can certainly houserule in the idea that revolt markers are removed when new masters take control of the province it significantly guts the game of its tension. Some people enjoy games when they are easier and this is a valid variant if you are playing with non-gamers perhaps. But, in my opinion, the revolt markers are one of the aspects of the game that can offer the player hard decisions and worry about whether one ought to tax that province one more time. This is especially true when you see someone with 10 cubes in a province throw them into the tower with a farmer and only four cubes come out..... ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hayward
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I interpreted the rules is this...

You only place revolt markers down when you tax for gold. Not collect rice.

However, once there is a revolt marker in a province from tax collection, you will have to fight the peasants for their rice and gold thereafter. They are pissed off at you now....

Still though, collecting rice doesn't ADD revolt markers. You just have to fight for the rice once the peasants are angry.

This explanation seems to fit the rules where it says you place the revolt markers when you collect taxes but nowhere does it say to place them when you collect rice. All it says is that if there is a revolt marker there you have to fight for your gold and rice.

The only reason I've heard to put revolt markers down when you collect rice is because it's consider a tax. I'm not convinced it is.

Am I the only one that sees it this way? Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan W
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
netweeny wrote:
Am I the only one that sees it this way? Did I miss something?

I don't know if you're the only one, but I certainly don't agree. The way I was taught, and the way Wallenstein plays on spielbyweb, you place a revolt whether you tax for gold or collect rice. We've always played that way, and it seems good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Mikulaschek
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules posted at Queens' website.

"When a player collects taxes or rice from
a province, it is possible that a revolt will
occur."

Same section top of next page

"If no revolt occurs, or if a revolt is successfully put
down, 1 revolt marker is placed in the province."

Ergo revolt markers are placed for Gold and Rice collection..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.