United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As happy as I am to see the rules to this game written in a much clearer and more straightforward fashion than Return of the Heroes, I find that the rulebook remains a mess. My wife and I encountered many questions that weren't addressed in the rules.

1) Is there any official word about when the large Dragon tiles (the ones several inches tall, with details about hit points and special powers) get revealed? Since this could affect which quest you'll start, I'd say that this is slightly important. Yet there's no reference to it in the rulebook.

In RotH, you could peek at the tile when you encountered the Mice. When playing this standalone, there's no equivalent to the Mice. I can't imagine that the game would let you choose the category to level up in, and then when you finally encounter the Dragon, you find that he deals double-damage because you zigged instead of zagged.

From what I've read on the geek, there's no offical word on this. Some people play that you reveal the dragon tile on the first Dragon Event tile pull. That makes sense, but has the designer or publisher weighed in?

2) Same as the first question, only now I'm asking about the large Quest tiles, the ones that describe each quest in detail. In RotH, you'd get a random quest at the start of the game. Of course, the Dragon rulebook makes no reference to these tiles, so it's not clear whether they're distributed at the start of the game, or whether you pick one up when you finish the first encounter in the quest.

Also, there's one space on the large Quest tiles. I suppose it's an extra space for the equipment item relevant to the Quest? When you pick up a new Quest item, do you discard the older item? Does it go into your regular inventory?

3) What happens to Dragon Event tiles? Do they go back in the bag, or do they leave the game?

4) In RotH, when you hired a trainer to raise your skill level, you had to fail a trial. I assume that with Cerebos, there' no trial involved (which is why the price is so high)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I have seen no official response, but we played that the dragon was a secret until encountered. I never considered it any other way. Now that I think about it, I would likely play that the dragon is revealed when the dragon is placed on the board (either via the dragon tile in the expansion or right from the start in the standalone game).

2. When a player picks up the first quest scroll, they take the respective quest card. In other words, the quests are not distributed at the start. It is basically a free-for-all, but each player can only pick up one scroll. The rulebook does specifically mention this.

3. They leave the game.

4. You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I might try this again soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.