Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm considering getting this primarily because it is one of the few Gerdts rondel games that plays at 6.

I've played it once with 3 and things were just too open and conflict was too easy to avoid. The bgg page says best with 5, but how come? It seems like with one more player, conflict would be even more present and therefore better than 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game to play with 6. I don't think it's any less good than with 5. Certainly better 6 than 4, imo.

It's such a shame that Antike doesn't have a smaller board for 3p and 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
I'm considering getting this primarily because it is one of the few Gerdts rondel games that plays at 6.

Both Imperial and Imperial 2030 play 6 very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deaddogdays wrote:
EvanDevan wrote:

Both Imperial and Imperial 2030 play 6 very well.

Yes, I have and love Imperial 2030 (one of my all time favorite games) but it is hard to get to the table due to the length.

So I'm now looking at Antike for 6 players and a shorter playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the game page, under the official listed player count, is a link to the community player count recommendations. Click that link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scholle wrote:
On the game page, under the official listed player count, is a link to the community player count recommendations. Click that link.

Yes, I see that the link shows the percentage of people who voted on the different player counts.

What I'm hoping to get comments on is why people voted that way. Why did someone vote "Best with 5 players" when it would seem that with the max 6 players there would be more conflict and fighting for board spaces and therefore, for some, a more engaging game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puresand
Finland
flag msg tools
krommenaas wrote:
It's a great game to play with 6. I don't think it's any less good than with 5. Certainly better 6 than 4, imo.

It's such a shame that Antike doesn't have a smaller board for 3p and 4p.

Could one potentially use the Antike Duellum board for lower player counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
What I'm hoping to get comments on is why people voted that way. Why did someone vote "Best with 5 players" when it would seem that with the max 6 players there would be more conflict and fighting for board spaces and therefore, for some, a more engaging game?

The only downside to playing Antike with 6 instead of 5 would be the increased downtime. I can see how for some people the increased competitiveness on the board wouldn't be worth that. In any case, they're very similar experiences; it's a speedy game after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it with 6 twice this weekend. It was great.
There's always the risk of analysis paralysis, but that's mitigated by (1) only having one action per turn and (2) the fact that you can plan out your move well ahead of time thanks to the rondel's lack of randomness.

What makes playing with 6 particularly good is that direct player interaction takes place very quickly. There's simply not enough space to expand indefinitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:

There's absolutely no reason to prefer 5 players. I think that people voting for "best with 5 players" simply never played the game with 6. The average gaming group is 4/5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.