Subject: Actually a war game, wow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought this on a limb last night (it was too big and pretty to deny) and wow... it's no intense hex-and-counter fare, but this is just as much a wargame (whatever that means) as Combat Commander, and a really fun game to boot. They kept it simple, but it's still a step up from the Commands and Colors level of wargaming, with sophisticated LOS rules, a range of important actions, suppressing v combat fire, and customization to eat your heart out.

To wargamers who can enjoy a slightly lighter meal than hex-and-counter games, but couldn't stand M44 for it's simplicity I highly recommend this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite an impulse buy. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto....

coolBy the way, where in MD did you find the game and if there were more in stock?

I'm up here in Carroll County and have pre-ordered the game...its still weeks away from getting to me. I might have to cancel my order and drive to the store...

THANKS!
Doug,
Uniontown,MD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gehl
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
Doug,

I see Gamessurples.com has the game in stock. You can pick it up from them directly, they are located just out side of Lancaster, PA, or you can order it and have it shipped. I have had great success with this on line store and would highly recommend them.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree - Tide of Iron is a wargame.

I love that it takes concepts and mechanics from more traditional hex and counter fare to create a light, approachable wargame. I love the modular maps (are they geomorphic?) as well - and i'm even a fan of all the plastic. Keep in mind i also enjoy stuff like the Panzer Grenadier series and ASL.

Quite an impulse buy - i am surprised you didnt at least read the rules before hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:
That's quite an impulse buy. meeple

I'm a sucker for FFG big boxes and I love wargames. I'm on the "just east of simulation" opinion about wargames, too. Give me an impression of simulation, not the minutae (Combat Commander and Europe Engulfed are my sweet spots).

Sorry, Doug, they only had two and they sold quick! They do have a game night every Saturday and a wargame day every other Sunday. Drop me a line if you're interested in coming and I could bring it

Lagduf, the boards certainly are geomorphic, and where they aren't there are plenty of board overlays to make them so. In the first scenario, for example, they have 5 contiguous road hexes you lay atop some trees to provide a nice pathway into the next board. It works very well, better than I would have thought.

I wonder how the dice combat system will stand up to the critics, though. It is certainly... peculiar at times. I haven't done any rigorous calculation but I was surprised just how bloody the game can be, even when units are firing at each other hiding in the woods.

The one thing I'm still not used to is how morale (pinned, disrupted, routing) and damage (how many guys, and thus how much strength/how close to dying) are two separate entities. So I can take a unit down to 1/4 size, so it's 1/4 as strong and almost dead, but there is no morale penalty. This is one thing that's very different from more "rigorous" wargames where morale and unit strength and disruption is all intricately tied together.

It also bothers me that forests provide normal cover against mortar attacks. It's a small nitpick for a game that is clearly a game, not a simulation, but that stood out to me as odd (maybe because in Combat Commander mortars + trees = danger and I'm so used to thinking that way).

Still, despite some of these oddities, I still think the system works very well and fills that "wargaming" need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:

It also bothers me that forests provide normal cover against mortar attacks. It's a small nitpick for a game that is clearly a game, not a simulation, but that stood out to me as odd (maybe because in Combat Commander mortars + trees = danger and I'm so used to thinking that way).

Still, despite some of these oddities, I still think the system works very well and fills that "wargaming" need.

That doesn't bother me too much as in Axis and Allies Miniatures it is pretty much the same, forests provide the same amount of cover versus all attacks.

Obviously AAM isn't very complex whereas ToI offers a nice level of complexity. Perhaps they made the decision to leave out airbursts for game balancing purposes. It would be nice to know a little bit more about the design and development process of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:
Obviously AAM isn't very complex whereas ToI offers a nice level of complexity. Perhaps they made the decision to leave out airbursts for game balancing purposes. It would be nice to know a little bit more about the design and development process of the game.

I would be interested in some of the design decisions that went into this. It's too early to start throwing out variations and changes, but I might eventually.

One thing I have to give two thumbs up for, though: AN INDEX!

This made the game go much smoother. It'll still need some player aids for specializations and fortifications, but in general FFG got this one right.

Oh and good lord are those boards thick. They are "bludgeoning device" thick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akrongehl wrote:
I see Gamessurples.com has the game in stock.

Thank you. I just ordered my copy. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, just ordered my copy from Games Surplus dot com!

Wish I had time to drive and recover...I'll let snail mail drop it off!

Thanks again for the info...

devilNow...everyone else can freely order...I got mine! Muhahahahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
I haven't done any rigorous calculation but I was surprised just how bloody the game can be, even when units are firing at each other hiding in the woods.

That is true.
"Cover" seems not to be what it promisses. Especially when facing a MG unit in Ops mode.

Quote:
It also bothers me that forests provide normal cover against mortar attacks.

Do i miss air bursts? This is chrome I don't miss.
Actually I can't tell any chrome at the moment I really miss in TOI.
Being in the Normandy and no #*@%$ bocage in my way - Yahoo! Don't miss that pest either.

Quote:

As a first impulse I have to say: true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.