Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What of the scenarios?

What scenarios are included in the box?

Are there any provisions for making your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I noticed they gave a link in the scenario book for potential scenarios listed online. This gives me much hope. My game is in my car, but tonight I'll look over and give an impression on em.

I only played the first scenario today, but it was really balanced despite massive disparities in forces, card draws, etc. which gives me great hopes. Balance and FFG usually aren't friends, but I was very pleased with what I saw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
There are 6 scenarioes that come in the box.

There are currently 3 additional ones on the FFG site, with more to come.

The software to create new scenarioes will be released shortly. The windows version is done and I am porting it to Linux and MacOS right now (literally).

A video tutorial on how to use the software is complete and will be available shortly. Yes, you too can listen to me drone on about making a scenario.

The scenario database should be going live at the same time that the software is released. (the database actually already exists, FFG just has to write the css file for it and create the custom graphics for the buttons)

Mike Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what ARE the scenarios...

Are they historical? made up? a little of both?

East front? West front?

What are the battles? The setting?

What are these "6 scenarios"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trifts
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
But what ARE the scenarios...

Are they historical? made up? a little of both?

East front? West front?

What are the battles? The setting?

What are these "6 scenarios"?

As I understand it, the scenarios are all between the American and German forces in the Western European theatre - 1944-45. France, the Ardennes and the Rhineland. Historically inspired, but company focused for balance.

The next expansion, Day of the Fox, is meant to bring in the Brits and will give us Rommel and the war in North Africa (and I suppose, the chance at some combined engagement scenarios, Market Garden style for a three player game)

Assuming all goes well, the Soviets for the War in the East and the Japanese for the war in the Pacific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what ARE the scenarios?

Foy? Carentan? 101st? 82nd? Breakout into France? Are there rules for Snow for the Bulge? I would like to hear about specific scenarios, dates of the engagements and the historical backgrounds. I'm curious what type of history they are putting in the box.

People keep saying it's a wargame, but I've seen no evidence it has anything to do with history except for the WWII theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff;

The general context is NW Europe 1944 Germans v. Americans. Each scenario offers a paragraph or two blurb about a more specific context. But, once you get set up on the geomorphic boards and because these are company actions, the actual scenario could have been deposited in just about any similar context. That is, the terrain is not historical, a specific town layout for example. This is par for the course with other WWII tactical games.

As for weather rules there are the strategy and operations cards which serve as rules extension points, though I have not yet examined each and every operations card.

There are no winter map boards. The next expansion which is for the desert I imagine will have desert map boards. If it gets that far, I am guessing a Russian expansion might include some winter map boards.

Historical accuracy is in the details. Remember, ToI is not ASL. You have, for example, a Panzer IV and a Tiger I model which represent generic medium and heavy tanks. The system is granular enough to have different firepower and armour values for different models of tanks but it is still pretty coarse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Mike Zebrowski wrote:

The software to create new scenarioes will be released shortly. The windows version is done and I am porting it to Linux and MacOS right now (literally).

Mike Z

If you aren't selling the software, consider open-sourcing it. It creates added value for the product you _are_ selling, and gives you a lot of free developer manpower (if it captures the interest of the right people).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ostadan wrote:
Mike Zebrowski wrote:

Mike Z

If you aren't selling the software, consider open-sourcing it.

Will never happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.