Dead of Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Infinite Searching rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it there is no limit to the number of times a room can be searched (2 free on first entry then 1 per action/event card).

If so I would perhaps go with the rule that you have to move to a different square in the room for each additional search attempt above the initial 2 free ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I never thought of that, but actually I like the idea. So instead of just sitting and searching over and over again you would at least have to use one action to move.

I'll pass it along to the creator if you haven't already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Spearing
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hello Bruce

You are correct, there is no limit to the number of times you can search a room. There are, however, a limited number of item cards (especially the good ones), so that does kind of limit it a bit.

I wanted to make searching for items fairly quick and fluid, since this is what you spend a lot of the early part of the game doing. My only slight displeasure with having the search tables in the rooms is that you do know what you will get if you keep searching, which I couldn't (and still can't) think of a way to avoid. Originally searching was entirely random, until I played a game where, after searching and searching in a bathroom, I found a ladder. This just seemed stupid, so I started the little tables. The idea of the 2 free searches when the room is first turned over gives you a couple of things which are just left out in plain view. Other things, you may have to look a bit harder for.

Anyway, If you want to have to move around to continue searching, that sounds good, but don't forget how hard the game is to win - you might regret having to move over to the window to look for a first aid kit...

Cheers

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djbcrawford wrote:
I take it there is no limit to the number of times a room can be searched (2 free on first entry then 1 per action/event card).

Well there is, kinda. You're limited to the number of items tokens that come with the game and each token can only be found once so there is infinite searching, just not infinite items (although you could find infinite zombies!).

djbcrawford wrote:
If so I would perhaps go with the rule that you have to move to a different square in the room for each additional search attempt above the initial 2 free ones.

I'd argue against that. It takes one whole action to perform a search and given that you can move 6 squares in an action I always imagined that you were running around the room looking for an item, it just wasn't represented on the board.

Beaten to the post by the designer, what an honour!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
With the ferocity of the Zombies I wouldn't want to be stuck in a 2x2 room and have to waste an action & have to move around before searching.

There's also the added problem of having 1 or zero health! No searches would be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
There's also the added problem of having 1 or zero health!

Well, you can't actually use any actions at zero health (other than use health items). 50% of the problem eliminated in one stroke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Spearing
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
It takes one whole action to perform a search and given that you can move 6 squares in an action I always imagined that you were running around the room looking for an item, it just wasn't represented on the board.

Richard, may I say that you seem to grasp these rules with a keenness and intelligence quite belied by your often bizarre and unpredictable behaviour shown in Rob's session reports!

I hadn't thought of it in those terms myself, but I suppose that is how it works - I imagined taking time and concentration to ferret around under the bed or between sofa cushions, which I agree does suggest you are moving around the room. As always, while I won't be using this rule suggestion personally, anybody who finds the game too easy as it is should feel free to make as many rods for their own back as they like.

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Richard, may I say that you seem to grasp these rules with a keenness and intelligence quite belied by your often bizarre and unpredictable behaviour shown in Rob's session reports!

Just because I can read and understand the rules doesn't mean I have any incentive to play by their intentions!

For my own playstyle I try to pick a different role each time I play; hard bitten cop, scared tourist, guilty scientist whatever takes my fancy. I just seem to have got stuck in ‘driven mad by dead relatives walking’ mode lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Spearing
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You know, in a previous version of the game I had different personalities in each scenario for the players to assume during the game, with different victory point awards. For example, The 'heroic cop' would lose 5 vps whenever another player got killed. The 'spunky kid' would get an extra 10 vps if their girl/boyfriend (another player) made it out alive. It was fun, and it made it a little bit 'roleplayey' but without having to roll D100s and D20s all over the place. Unfortunately it all got a bit complicated and unwieldy. Maybe we could revisit the idea (and make sure we keep it simple for Bears of Little Brain like me) if the publishing thing turns out to be a damp squib.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSpearing wrote:
You know, in a previous version of the game I had different personalities in each scenario for the players to assume during the game, with different victory point awards. For example, The 'heroic cop' would lose 5 vps whenever another player got killed. The 'spunky kid' would get an extra 10 vps if their girl/boyfriend (another player) made it out alive. It was fun, and it made it a little bit 'roleplayey' but without having to roll D100s and D20s all over the place. Unfortunately it all got a bit complicated and unwieldy. Maybe we could revisit the idea (and make sure we keep it simple for Bears of Little Brain like me) if the publishing thing turns out to be a damp squib.

I like that. Game on its way to being published and already planning an expansion. Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.