Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd had a few false starts with S1: Retaking Vierville, but I managed to get a full game in last Saturday.

The two German forces entered the map from the east and west, catching the American units just standing in the middle of the street. Two German squads took up positions in buildings on the edge of the map that could cover the northern approaches where the American reinforcements would come from. The remained of the Germans took cover in the buildings near the Americans. There was some exchange of fire to no effect.

The Americans in the street found themselves cut off from their reinforcements, and scattered to the buildings, firing on the Germans as they attempted to advance. The German squads took some damage as they moved to better positions, and were unable to fully engage.

As more reinforcements came for the Germans, they were able to use their force of numbers to overwhelm a detachment of American forces in a lone building, and thus hit the Americans with superior firepower. With most of their forces pinned, the Americans found themselves in close combat with the Germans in two of the four objective buildings, the Germans moving in to capture the two unoccupied buildings.

These close combats degenerated into melee, with the Americans having the upper hand for quality of forces. The American reinforcements made a last dash across the open ground towards the village, but were mostly cut down by fire from the German units guarding the north.

By the end of the fifth and final turn, the Germans just needed to win the melees... but luck was not with them. with the melees continuing unabated through both the German and American turns. A single American reinforcement caused a third melee, and the Germans had not managed to recapture the town.

The one rule I managed to miss during the game was the presence of the Grain fields on the map; I think by now I have most of the major rules down, however.

Pretty much most of the squads got killed in the later stages of the battle, as desperate Germans and Americans tried to cross fields of fire to reach the objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.