Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how people like to mark off/mask the areas they aren't playing with.

Visually I think it really helps (especially for new players) to have it marked off in some way.

I thought about having cut-outs in the shape of each region. But, I also like to mask the connection prices leading TO the unplayed region, so a region-shaped cut-out wouldn't be enough.

What I've personally been doing is taking the one-electro bills and turning them upside-down, and marking off the boundaries with them (including pointless connection prices in the played areas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just put unused power plant cards face down onto the unused areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Menear
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the player aid cards, some with the payouts face up, others with the sequence of play face up. You can't cover entire regions, but they are usually enough to cover all the connections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We place poker chips over the out-of-play cites that are connect to in-play cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Pesta
msg tools
I put quarters over the connection cost circles to cover up the connections that are not used. Did not cost me anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I grab fences from Agricola and create a border around the unused regions. It creates a neat line you know you can't cross. Everything else feels like there is just clutter on the board and I always have to remind myself that it's there for a reason.

I'm weird that way though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
pestaside wrote:
I put quarters over the connection cost circles to cover up the connections that are not used. Did not cost me anything.

Oh, so quarters are *free* where you come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use scissors to cut off the unused portion and then I staple it back to the main board when the game is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
I have 1.5" wooden chips that I've stickered with various symbols. I place one on each of the cities in the area(s) not used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Cobleigh
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm playing with fewer than 6 players (which is almost always the case), people pick colors other than black and we put the black houses on the connections leading to unavailable areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
I grab fences from Agricola and create a border around the unused regions. It creates a neat line you know you can't cross. Everything else feels like there is just clutter on the board and I always have to remind myself that it's there for a reason.

I'm weird that way though.

I like that idea! I have Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small so I can use those fences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pestaside wrote:

I like this too - I might use this or the black houses idea in combo with the fences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
pestaside wrote:

Oh, so quarters are *free* where you come from?

That would be a good repurposing for Canadian pennies.

I have a bag of them and some other, higher denomination coinage to act as game money because it is probably cheaper than buying poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcobleigh wrote:
If I'm playing with fewer than 6 players (which is almost always the case), people pick colors other than black and we put the black houses on the connections leading to unavailable areas.

[nah...too easy...that was just floated in over the plate, right in the strike zone]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a "Do Not Enter" token from a file here on BGG. Do Not Enter Markers They work great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the plastic zombie figures from Zombies!!!, in a desperate attempt to reclaim some value from my purchase of that POS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I use the plastic zombie figures from Zombies!!!, in a desperate attempt to reclaim some value from my purchase of that POS.

Ah, Zombies!!! - I see that years later it STILL has about 900 bogus 10 ratings from that campaign to "temporarily" give it many 10 ratings, despite the organizer saying that of course everyone would undo their bogus 10 ratings afterward... :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
I have a bunch of red acrylic circle-with-a-slash "No" tokens that I put over the border connection costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb

I too printed the Do Not Enter signs on card stock from the file section and glued them to poker chips. Perfect size to cover the cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've put in the box around 20-30 plastic chips from an old incomplete GO set, and use them to make a border. Easy, clean and clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcobleigh wrote:

Exactly the same, even down to black being the best colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still sticking with my answer from this thread

I just use money (what ever sort we happen to be playing with).

That or get the butler to remind us "Excuse me Sir, that region is not in play today"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set of wooden discs with numbers 1 to 9 on one side. We use them for the initial player order then to blank out cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So no one else uses duct tape, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thick black sharpie. Now I have my own legacy version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.