Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to second-guess my all-time favourite designer (Kramer), and I'm the last person who likes variants/modifying game rules, and yes it's true I've only played this game once (today), but this is the first time I've walked away from a game thinking something really needed to be changed or "fixed".

During our one play, we used the "intense auction" official variant, even though it was a stretch for me to even use an official variant, as I usually will only play the vanilla version of a game, but I suggested it as it seemed more strategic and was recommended by Kramer himself. Everything about the game seemed good to very good, EXCEPT for the trading phase. The trading was generally non-existent, as people either already had what they wanted, or had no chance of getting what they wanted.

Since the trading phase already had a "Settlers of Catan" feel to it, I was thinking why not make it an option to "trade with the bank" like the 4:1 ratios in Settlers? This would allow for players to stockpile a particular type of resource and/or trade for it, and then trade it either out of the game or into some sort of generic pool similar to Leonardo da Vinci's expansion. It would also allow for alot more flexibility in acquiring the desired resources that didn't show themselves during the random market distribution, or that couldn't be wrested from a player's hands who also needed all of those resources and happened to randomly start the game with them. Another option might be to try the auction variant posed by Maik in another thread.

Anyways, good fun game, but the trading phase seemed quite thin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've experienced the opposite problem, but have come to the same conclusion. It seems to me you can accomplish too MUCH during trading, which takes away a lot of the tension from the auctions. With intense auctions, you have a goodly number of tiles anyway. It also seems like the trading phase can really lead to some wicked kingmaker problems. Finally, the trading takes a lot of time, even if little gets accomplished.

What I'd like to try is a game with intense auctions and NO trading phase. I think this would tighten up the game and reduce the duration. I don't think I've ever heard of another game with auctions AND trading. I think there may be a good reason for this. Anyway, if I succeed in trying the game out this way, I'll post the results here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Player interaction is ghey. I force players not to look at me or to directly address me. So the trading phase is why I'll never play this game again. Great variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny....the game uses 983 mechanics and everyone keeps getting hung up on one or another.

Trading has been the primary gripe. I've played this one a few times and just don't see the issue, nor have I felt compelled to use the variant.

If you don't think trading is all that great, think of it this way: Trading is 1/5 of the game. If trading is all that important to you, then perhaps this isn't the game for you.

Colosseum is a family game. It's intended to give the lighter side of set collection, trading, etc.....as most days of wonder games do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had similar thoughts, although I will acknowledge that "learning game" thoughts are often not entirely valid on more plays.

It seemed as if the "intense auction" gave players enough tiles that they could focus on their performances - it was only the "obvious" tiles that were being traded. From my perspective I think in future games I might potentially try to plan further ahead and trade for items that are for my "next" performance.

Interesting game with lots of interconnected mechanics - darn 'roll and move' moved most of the pawns away from my stadium. devil I definately play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main problem with the trading phase was that there are 12 different resources and there's no real competition for those resources. The programs seemed designed that once you start on a path, you can't switch to a different set.

I never really felt threatened by another player going after the same things I was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Hey a bucket full of Meeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking to implement one of the following rules the next time we play Colosseum (don't know if it will work):

If you win an auction you may take only two asset tokens instead of three, the third asset token stays on the board and only two new asset tokens will be added.

or

After performing an event you discard two asset tokens instead of one.

Now the asset tokens are more scarce so (I hope) the auction- and trading phase will be more tense.

BJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I haven't played enough to be able to absolutely determine my feelings for the auctions/trading however I did notice something strange which sort of made the trading irrelevant. As a result of everyone having similar programs we all more or less needed the same tiles thus everyone was not willing to trade as everyone was generally going for the same things. Have to play more.

Seems as though with the Auction Variant you could just toss out the trading.

Further playing required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beckey
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We also came up with a 4:1 trade variant. A player may discard 4 tiles for a "variant" Joker tile. Flip 1 of the just discarded tiles so that the Green/Orange side is face up. This tile is now a Joker tile. The 4 actual Joker tiles are still available to be drawn from the tile draw bag.

Since we just came up with this idea last night, this idea has not been developed nor play-tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.