Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 6 games of destiny so far and I think whoever got the 2 shields to start has won all the games. We are playing base sets with Rey only using 1 die.
All games are close and come down to the last turn, but I wanted to ask if others found the 2 shields a huge benefit as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Walsh
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
With there being so few options in the starters and the battlefields not having much of an impact, yeah, I often take the shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Kylo player will have 3 dice compared with Ray players 2 dice during the roll off to see who goes first is it Kylo that usually gets to choose the 2 shields? This would be a huge advantage to that player especially if you are gimping Ray with just a single die. Try playing with the starters as they were designed and balanced with 3 dice each opening round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saucerboy wrote:
I have played 6 games of destiny so far and I think whoever got the 2 shields to start has won all the games. We are playing base sets with Rey only using 1 die.
All games are close and come down to the last turn, but I wanted to ask if others found the 2 shields a huge benefit as well

Once you start deck building you'll find it doesn't matter at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going second lets your opponent play their Battlefield. That can be a huge deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wadzinski
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
steves71 wrote:
As the Kylo player will have 3 dice compared with Ray players 2 dice during the roll off to see who goes first is it Kylo that usually gets to choose the 2 shields? This would be a huge advantage to that player especially if you are gimping Ray with just a single die. Try playing with the starters as they were designed and balanced with 3 dice each opening round.

Both starter sets would be rolling 3 to start, 2 each for ren and kylo, 1 each for Finn and stormtrooper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromus wrote:
Going second lets your opponent play their Battlefield. That can be a huge deal.

This. Some decks and characters thrive on claiming the battlefield and it can easily render shields insignificant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
devroid wrote:
steves71 wrote:

Both starter sets would be rolling 3 to start, 2 each for ren and kylo, 1 each for Finn and stormtrooper

The OP said that they are playing using only one of Reys dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daigotsu Calim
msg tools
Use both dice for Rey ?
I mean, if you're only using one, the Rey player should lose everytime, no matter whose battlefield is chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaigotsuCalim wrote:
Use both dice for Rey ?
I mean, if you're only using one, the Rey player should lose everytime, no matter whose battlefield is chosen.

You couldn't be more wrong....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daigotsu Calim
msg tools
Then there's something wrong with how you play the game.
Removing one die from Rey is a crippling move and should result in a loss almost every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaigotsuCalim wrote:
Removing one die from Rey is a crippling move and should result in a loss almost every time.

Removing one die from Rey used to be a quick and easy way to balance the starters. Did this get debunked somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
DaigotsuCalim wrote:

Removing one die from Rey used to be a quick and easy way to balance the starters. Did this get debunked somehow?

The point value perhaps but power wise even lacking the extra points I've found the Kylo deck wins more often than the Rey deck. Not by much but I believe they are balanced as they come so removing a Rey die puts her at a pretty big disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wiley
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
The 2 shields vs who gets initiative (controls the battlefield the first round) helps balance it out.

The person getting the battlefield for the first turn does not get the benefits of the battlefield, it just means they have initiative. It sounds like some are thinking that person gets the benefits of claiming the battlefield that first round? They do not.

Since the person that controls the battlefield and goes first, they will more than likely be the first player to put some damage on the other player. That is why the other player gets a couple shield tokens to help protect their characters from the first volley.

I think it is a pretty decent system to negate whoever goes first having too big of an advantage.

And I think both starters are really balanced. I've won and lost a pretty even number of games with both decks. I don't think one is any more powerful than the other as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
I've lost all my games as Kylo so far. Some were close, but you really feel the lack of hp on the trooper, combined with no special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.