Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
After dinner, Randy and I reconvened for our second game of Tide of Iron. At my suggestion, we got onto the web and downloaded the first Early Bird scenario: Breaking the Line.

This scenario is a much, much better learning scenario than the first in the scenario book included with the game, and does display somewhat of a rushed approach to getting the game out. It has the great advantage of not using so many units, and playing quickly as well. Both Randy and I had a much better understanding of the basic game coming into this scenario, and built on it as the game went on.

My dislike of the way the figures have to be pushed in and out of the squad bases deepened to outright hatred during the game. Some of the figures don't fit, and it's always a struggle to place or remove them. I find this a great pity, as the actual *game* plays pretty well.

Randy was playing the Germans this time, defending a victory point that my Americans had to take on a hill, with machineguns and mortars defending it. I had more units, but I had to cross some open terrain to get there, although there were some nice woods.

We discovered the joy of suppressive fire this game, as my mortars and machine guns disrupted Randy's MG positions; likewise with Randy and my units.

I had units approaching from front on and from the flank, but I was having trouble getting rid of Randy's MGs until one turn where successful suppresive attacks brought them first to pinned, then to disrupted, and finally to destroyed.

As we reached the end of the fourth turn of six, I'd eliminated the MGs, and I had to only worry about one officer unit and Randy's two mortar units. Victory seemed assured, especially after my first mortar fire disrupted the officer.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. In five following attacks that turn, I just couldn't roll enough successes - a 5 dice and a 6 dice attack both ended up with no successes. Argh!

In the final turn, I rushed my one surviving unit on the flank up from the building to the victory area, hoping to Assault his position. Again... no successes at all, and Randy's Germans held me off long enough for Randy to claim the victory.

I'm finding Tide of Iron a pretty enjoyable game, but I maintain severe reservations about the squad figures. Soon, I hope, we'll be able to add more vehicles to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost as if it would be easier to stack small cardboard chits. And hey... those chits could contain a lot of information I bet like Firepower, Range, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trifts
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
It's almost as if it would be easier to stack small cardboard chits. And hey... those chits could contain a lot of information I bet like Firepower, Range, etc.

Maybe.

But for the broader hobby games market Tide of Iron is aimed at - what counters wouldn't contain is more important: consumer excitement, consumer demand and stylish marketability.

Merric, others have been reporting that after a few sessions, the figures are popping in and out of the bases with far less trouble. Hang in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel_Wind wrote:

Merric, others have been reporting that after a few sessions, the figures are popping in and out of the bases with far less trouble. Hang in there.

It's more that you just get used to applying the right amount of force (ie, quite a bit) to shove them in or pull them out than the parts actually becoming easier to insert or remove.

--- RFC ---
5 2 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that if you have trouble inserting a figure in its base, I turn over the base and try it from the bottom side and it fits better and shapes it by thining the tiny spurt of the figure. Then I retry it on the right side of the base and it's easier.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:
I found that if you have trouble inserting a figure in its base, I turn over the base and try it from the bottom side and it fits better and shapes it by thining the tiny spurt of the figure. Then I retry it on the right side of the base and it's easier.

Interesting. We'll try that next time.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy S

Wisconsin
msg tools
HM.. I heard about this game. Sounds really fun! Um...where ya from? and what does MG stand for? thanks, nice session report. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MG = Machine Gun.

I'm near Ballarat, Australia.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel_Wind wrote:
Tompy wrote:

Maybe.

But for the broader hobby games market Tide of Iron is aimed at - what counters wouldn't contain is more important: consumer excitement, consumer demand and stylish marketability.

I'm hoping to help get my 7 year old into more serious games with ToI, so the plastic figures and other "bits" help. He wouldn't give a game with cardboard chits a second glance. But he might after playing ToI some

Mike Z started a thread that discusses making it easier to insert the figures into the bases here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/169283

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SIMPLE TECHNIQUE FOR INSERTING FIGURES:

1--Place base on hard, flat surface.

2--position figure over hole.

3--push down with *both thumbnails* on either side of the *flange* just below figure's feet and above the peg.

Once I started doing it this way I had no problem. The figure goes straight down, and the force is evenly applied to the peg through the flange just above it without stressing the figure itself. It's a little tricky with the officer model but the other figures, no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.