1 Posts

Goa» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Colonists and Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Merric Blackman
flag msg tools
Ramping up my reviewing.
Happily playing games for many, many years.
After Tide of Iron, I decided that it was time to play Goa again (much to Randy's delight). Yes, I've never won a game of it, but I was sure it was only a matter of time!

Early signs in this game were quite encouraging: by the end of the fourth turn (and the start of the B phase), I had more colonies than Randy, and also had progressed further down the progess track than he had. Woohoo! I was winning!

Unfortunately, it had come at a cost: money. I had picked up the "1 colonist per turn" tile, but Randy was sitting pretty with the "4 Ducats per turn" tile. Money only really counts for the auctions at the beginning of the game, but that's a very important part of the game. I watched in horror as Randy was able to parley this advantage into a greater one: more activations, more spice, more victory points.

The worst moment for me was when trying to get my last colony: I needed a 3 total or better to come up on the two cards drawn (they have values from 1 to 3). A 1... and another 1. Argh! An action wasted.

It didn't matter, however - except to rub in that I was losing. I still ended up with the highest score I've yet achieved in Goa: 40 points. Unfortunately, Randy had 50 points by the end of the game, courtesy of +3 points for Most Money, and having reached the end of two of the progress tracks.

There will come a day when I erase the memory of these defeats with a superb victory, but it was not this day. Despite all of this, Goa remains an excellent Eurogame that I really enjoy playing. I really need to play Randy in Caylus again - I'm good at that!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.