Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very happy to see everyone is playing VENOM Assault and talking about but I noticed something more than once from several people and wanted to make a quick notation to folks.

Any Reward Card that is Gold Backed or has the Folder Icon on it are specific to certain missions and should only be used in those missions. This is noted on page 4 of the rule book in the Reward Cards.

VENOM Leaders - With Silver Backs and the Folder Icon are also mission specific and should be used with those missions only. (this will be more prevalent in the expansions.) This was our error as it was not covered in the rules clearly, these leaders are very powerful and can be used for the normal game if you want a real challenge but I would suggest not using them on a your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spyglassgames wrote:
VENOM Leaders - With Silver Backs and the Folder Icon are also mission specific and should be used with those missions only. (this will be more prevalent in the expansions.) This was our error as it was not covered in the rules clearly, these leaders are very powerful and can be used for the normal game if you want a real challenge but I would suggest not using them on a your first game.

So just Ouroboros so far, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed this and played my first game with Ouroboros on the field right from the start. It didn't go well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
spyglassgames wrote:

So just Ouroboros so far, right?

Correct he is the only one at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spyglassgames wrote:
This was our error as it was not covered in the rules clearly, these leaders are very powerful and can be used for the normal game if you want a real challenge but I would suggest not using them on a your first game.

To be fair though Michael, it wasn't that much of a common sense leap to work that out based on the colour of the card and the fairly prominent folder icon - so most of us should be alright in a "oh, 1+1=2" kinda way. Especially with the FAQ due to be hanging about to pre-empt any other queries too. Basically, I've said this elsewhere - but the rules on Venom Assault are really great and amongst the best I've used. So the odd update or word rephrase here or there is going to be tweaking at best.

And as for powerful - heck, I'd agree. My first ever game had Leaders with 4 global effects taking place at various phases. I was getting creamed in the early rounds! But hung on, built the deck and clawed back into it. To be honest, it made the game even more awesome. But I did like the next 2 games, which had a slightly quicker route to making successful attacks than I had done before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
manserfamily wrote:
spyglassgames wrote:
This was our error as it was not covered in the rules clearly, these leaders are very powerful and can be used for the normal game if you want a real challenge but I would suggest not using them on a your first game.

To be fair though Michael, it wasn't that much of a common sense leap to work that out based on the colour of the card and the fairly prominent folder icon - so most of us should be alright in a "oh, 1+1=2" kinda way. Especially with the FAQ due to be hanging about to pre-empt any other queries too. Basically, I've said this elsewhere - but the rules on Venom Assault are really great and amongst the best I've used. So the odd update or word rephrase here or there is going to be tweaking at best.

And as for powerful - heck, I'd agree. My first ever game had Leaders with 4 global effects taking place at various phases. I was getting creamed in the early rounds! But hung on, built the deck and clawed back into it. To be honest, it made the game even more awesome. But I did like the next 2 games, which had a slightly quicker route to making successful attacks than I had done before!

The random setup of them is one thing we love because it can make some games more challenging then others which is great. We have even seen some players purposefully build the VENOM Leader deck to be tough which is fine. We just saw lots of people having minor errors with setup so we wanted to make sure folks knew that these silver leaders (more are on the way) should not be used for your first game as they are nasty!

I am happy to hear that the rulebook is good, it was a labor of love from Jeff who wrote it, he will be doing all them for future games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite "victory" in the game came during my second game when Ouroboros was on the table causing problems and I noticed he was different looking. Checked the rulebook and threw him off my table. It was very satisfying because he was awful to me. Someday I'll run his mission and finish him for good. But for now he is in time-out where he belongs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.