Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Davis
United States
Tri-Cities
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had to write in to see if any others have run into this same situation. So far I have won 12 games out of 12 against my friends. We have played through most of the scenarios ( some more than once against different friends ). We started at number one and have worked our way up. My main opponent ( my friend Mike )and I decided to play one side till we complete all the original scenarios. He decided to take the English first. He is usually reluctant to play me anymore due to my winning streak. He claims it has nothing to due with skill, but just shear luck. I won't argue with him that one must rely on a great deal of luck in BattleLore, but there's more to it than that I believe. Most of the scenarios are pretty well balanced for each side I'd say. So, getting the "right" cards, using them properly and getting good rolls would be everyone's biggest obstacle to overcome to win. That's what I think at least. We've had some very close games and some runaways too. Mike is one of my strongest opponents at any game I play with him. But, he has yet to beat me at BattleLore. I don't want anyone to think I'm bragging 'cause I'm not. I won't lie though...it does feel mighty good! I'm curious if anyone else has had a streak like this and how do they explain it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
"Balance" is subjective in this case. Even if it were "perfectly balanced" (like chess) then the first player has a slight advantage. You should each play both sides of a scenario, then see who wins overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GameBear
msg tools
JackCrap66 wrote:
My main opponent ( my friend Mike )and I decided to play one side till we complete all the original scenarios. He decided to take the English first.

Read this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/142565

Basically, about half the scenarios appear to be balanced, and half appear to favor the French. So, while winning 12 times in a row is still impressive, your success may be at least partly due to your opponent choosing the English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
willem ter beek
Netherlands
ede
flag msg tools
Hello,

well that is quite winning streak! I do not manage that. My friends and I are really balanced in winning, most of the time I play Standards (French). We play a lot of the 10+ scenario's and epic adventures. it's balanced in my opinion. Wins are most of the time deserved, because of good tacticts and manouvers. Of course one need some luck with the command cards. The only thing that breaks this game are some of the KILLER Lore cards of the Cleric.(FF/HR and CL as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri-Cities
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for your responses! We are going to switch sides as soon as we finish all the original scenarios with the sides we have now. Mike said that if I continue to win after we switch ( which I highly doubt ) he'll never play against me again! laugh Thanks Justin for the thread info. That was VERY interesting! After reading and going over the scenarios again I agree that the French have an edge at times. BTW Willem, my time is coming! soblue A feeling of dread fills me each time we play! But I love the game regardless. I would like to finish up the remaining scenarios undefeated, but that is doubtful. Shooting for a perfect record with the French is the only thing that makes me nervous now. Take it easy guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!

All that matters is, that you won, if the English are crying, let them cry!

Battle on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for your friend Mike to have played that many games he must like how the game plays mechanically. If I didn't like a game, there is no way I'd play it that many times win or lose.

But I am wired a little different than Mike. If it were a game I liked, it would be high time to slap you across the face with a glove, to throw down the guantlet, to sound the trumpet, to storm the beach, to release the dogs, to open the bomb bay doors, to pull the trigger...

I would study the game and look for as yet undiscovered tactics, I would review and try to figure out why I had lost so many (that isn't all luck), I would search for play recommendations such as how to best use formations and how successful players use their different units and so forth. I would not rest (hyperbole - I might allow myself to briefly rest my eyes once or twice a day) until I removed the "curse" and accepted your surrender.

But that's just me. I am probably a little whacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Tri-Cities
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jon for your reply.We did have a bit of a discussion ( he was a little upset with me )about how each of us approach the game. I was surprised on how we did differ. Actually, it boiled down to I usually won't advance in a section unless I have at least two matching section cards. If things go sour, for instance, I want a way to pull back my units if necessary. Sometimes I must advance regardless and hope to roll hot. This doesn't happen all the time of course ( however he would certainly disagree cry Sorry Mikey! ). He confessed to getting a little "Gung Ho" a few times and it caught up with him. Everyone has to get in there and mix it up of course, but I choose to TRY and be ready for a worse case scenario. I also own Battle Cry and Memoir and I pretty much follow my own guidelines I use in BattleLore as well. However,it's strange that when he and I play Battle Cry or Memoir we are pretty even on wins. Oh well, as long as I can get him to the table to play BattleLore I'm happy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.