Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay ... another new topic...

What series do you think people should give a second look to and why?

I'll do another one in a few days to talk about individual games rather than series, but let's start with series since they're so hot right now in wargaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing the Fleet Series quite a bit recently. The game system is remarkably clean and downtime is pretty minimal. Only drawback is they are using 1980's weapons platforms. Would love to get an update.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
I have been playing the Fleet Series quite a bit recently. The game system is remarkably clean and downtime is pretty minimal. Only drawback is they are using 1980's weapons platforms. Would love to get an update.....

Let me qualify that since there is a Japanese series that's taken up the torch of doing this very thing....Would love to get a widely distributed English Language update to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Civil War Campaign Series games from the late 80s/early 90s. The games can be found for about $25 USD:

I think the system is the best I have seen at capturing the Civil War combat tactics and cavalry screening. The games have the entire campaign option, as well as shorter scenarios, and even "what if" options.

The biggest gripe I have seen is that it doesn't solo as well and people couldn't find opponents. I have the same dilemma, so I created Vassal modules for all of the games.

The last four have awesome Rick Barber maps and counters. The last four games use the system created in the first one (with game-specific rules) and are designed by an active BGG user.

I'm actually not big on series games. I think too often, they try to force a round peg through a square hole, but since these games all cover Civil War battles, the system is tight and flexible enough to work with all of the battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Roads
Liberty Roads
Roads Series from Hexasim works in lots of chrome with random support chits. Hitler Humeur track encourages German generals to make a name for themselves. Pretty map and counters. The invasion system would port straight into Roman Roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
TedW wrote:

Let me qualify that since there is a Japanese series that's taken up the torch of doing this very thing....Would love to get a widely distributed English Language update to this!

That would be great! The issue with the Japanese series are threefold:
-not widely distributed
-mostly tertiary theaters
-components are substandard.

The other problem with the series as a whole is nobody really knows how all these weapon systems will interact in actual combat.... The Falklands was that last real test we had and even then that was a relatively minor skirmish in the grand scheme of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polate wrote:
Victory Roads
Liberty Roads
Roads Series from Hexasim works in lots of chrome with random support chits. Hitler Humeur track encourages German generals to make a name for themselves. Pretty map and counters. The invasion system would port straight into Roman Roads.

Second look? I am still working on a first look! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
Combat Commander Series

It's rumoured that a whole new base game based on Vietnam is just around the corner

Would LOVE that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
Combat Commander Series

It's rumoured that a whole new base game based on Vietnam is just around the corner (not sure how big the corner is), plus some new battle packs, and also another designer has made a WW1 version (Great War Commander)using the same system which is due for release quite soon

This did not click for me at all - I found it very long and fiddly for the level of control. But, to stay on topic, I have a friend making a good argument that I've missed the point of the hand management aspect, and I will give it another try with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

I'll throw in the GOSS series. They updated the rulebook and charts this past september.

Great "deep" system. I find it more of a simulation wargame which i love without being too abstract with gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
BoJack Horseman wrote:
Combat Commander Series

It's rumoured that a whole new base game based on Vietnam is just around the corner

Would LOVE that!

Still waiting for the WW1 version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duc de Guise wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:
TedW wrote:
BoJack Horseman wrote:
Combat Commander Series

Would LOVE that!

If so, expect the inveterate Combat Commander detractors to criticise the WW1 version on the basis that it doesn't include tanks. Sigh!

I'll show my ignorance of the things I own here potentially...but didn't one of the battle packs include rules for a disabled tank that's on the map. There was some tongue in cheek commentary around that one too if I remember correctly. lol Maybe they could carry on that tradition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claystone wrote:

I'll throw in the GOSS series. They updated the rulebook and charts this past september.

Great "deep" system. I find it more of a simulation wargame which i love without being too abstract with gameplay.

Very intense but interesting rules.

If someone could create tutorial and full-rules scenarios that are well-balanced and playable in one day or less, I am sure this system would get much more attention.

Simply looking at AW, taking into account all the smaller operations that took place in Normandy, the gaming potential here is enormous, IMHO.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Benn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TedW wrote:

The other problem with the series as a whole is nobody really knows how all these weapon systems will interact in actual combat.... The Falklands was that last real test we had and even then that was a relatively minor skirmish in the grand scheme of things.

The Falklands was a fascinating conflict but not a real test due to the relative technological backwardness of both sides. The General Belgrano was sunk by Mk8 torpedoes because the more modern Tigerfish didn't work. 1960's vintage A-4 Skyhawks sank RN ships with iron bombs because the RN lacked AEW aircraft on our dinky carriers and decent point defence systems. Valuable lessons were learnt and a WW3 in 1985 would have seen a much more capable RN with phalanx and stopgap SeaKing helicopters with searchwater radar. What a multi regiment Backfire attack on a Nimitz class CVN battlegroup would have looked like remains speculation.

I liked the Fleet series but I had to rewrite some of the rules to make it work. Hidden movement for subs until detected is the biggie. No phase system and opposing units can be in the same hex (subs have to be in same hex to attack with torps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb

Worth comparing these old games to contemporary platoon-level titles, such as PANZER GRENADIER series, PANZERBLITZ: HILL OF DEATH, WAR STORM series, NATIONS AT WAR series, FIGHTING FORMATIONS, and OPERATION DAUNTLESS/RED WINTER series. Certainly beats the older titles like PANZERBLITZ, PANZER LEADER, PANZER '44, SPI's old PANZER BATTLES, etc. Still holds its own versus the far newer games available today. Some will say the TANK LEADER series are even better than those other titles you'd play today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pfaff
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duc de Guise wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:
TedW wrote:
BoJack Horseman wrote:
Combat Commander Series

Would LOVE that!

If so, expect the inveterate Combat Commander detractors to criticise the WW1 version on the basis that it doesn't include tanks. Sigh!

I think that the WW1 version does have tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to say the Tank Leader series, but someone beat me to it. I'll say that many more people should be playing these three--

I really look at these as being both the best of the WW2 operational system games and the best of the block games. Gives players exactly the right set of decisions. I'm really surprised they aren't more popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:

Worth comparing these old games to contemporary platoon-level titles, such as PANZER GRENADIER series, PANZERBLITZ: HILL OF DEATH, WAR STORM series, NATIONS AT WAR series, FIGHTING FORMATIONS, and OPERATION DAUNTLESS/RED WINTER series. Certainly beats the older titles like PANZERBLITZ, PANZER LEADER, PANZER '44, SPI's old PANZER BATTLES, etc. Still holds its own versus the far newer games available today. Some will say the TANK LEADER series are even better than those other titles you'd play today!

So they need a reprint.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
Was going to say the Tank Leader series, but someone beat me to it. I'll say that many more people should be playing these three--

I really look at these as being both the best of the WW2 operational system games and the best of the block games. Gives players exactly the right set of decisions. I'm really surprised they aren't more popular.

I love the system. It hits the sweet spot of scale and rules weight for me; it gives you a whole lot of difficult decisions (at the appropriate level for the scale, too!); it gives you uncertainty about enemy and even your own capabilities; it encourages you to stockpile resources in preparation for an offensive; it shows you why local counterattacks are often a good idea. As I said somewhere else, "It's a staff college education in a box!"

Bulge is very very good. It really feels breakthrough-ish, with the Germans often driving for the Meuse, but feeling their exposed shoulders as the 3rd Army starts to hit them from the left; then the overwhelming American counterattack.

I warmed up to Sicily on my 2nd look, finding that the Axis need to play a very aggressive defense, which not only gives them a chance to win, but also makes for a more interesting game!

I'm not sure about Golan '73 yet. It seems like a very difficult game for the Syrians; the Israelis have such high-quality units. ("Quality has a quantity of its own?") But I got some good suggestions from Doug DeMoss that I want to try out.

And Gazala is up next. I can't wait to see how the African front plays out with this system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:

I've been looking at the FAB series for some time now, but never pulled the trigger because I just know how often I end up playing solo. These games just beg for a good, tense F2F. I wonder if that's a factor in their lack of success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlfyB wrote:
seanmac wrote:

I've been looking at the FAB series for some time now, but never pulled the trigger because I just know how often I end up playing solo. These games just beg for a good, tense F2F. I wonder if that's a factor in their lack of success?

It's possible, although I think they solo okay, as do all block games (just requires stepping away from the table for a minute before switching sides). There are also Vassal opponents to be found. I think operational gamers are often prejudiced against area movement games to a degree, and the rules are different enough from the standard Columbia model block games to potentially keep block gamers away. I'm honestly not sure what the issue has been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Siso
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Praise the sun!
mbmbmbmbmb

Der Weltkrieg Series is one of that gem series which I am quite surprised is not more popular. It's the best treatment of WW1 I ever had seen. I love the attack-counterattack procedure, how it shows the importance of supply, the excellent rulebook and the playability for what can be considered a monster. It's the best portrait of what I have ever read it was the WW1 combat, because it teaches you why they stalled to trench warfare without making it about chrome. It puts the strategic focus not only on the victory locations but on generating losses and this creates a logic workflow of event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DReaper wrote:

This is the series which immediately popped into my mind when I saw this thread.

Quote:
is one of that gem series which I am quite surprised is not more popular.

I sometimes half-seriously wonder if it's because so many people seem very turned off by the unusual graphic design of the hex terrains (even though it supports a cool terrain mechanism which I've not seen elsewhere)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DReaper wrote:

Der Weltkrieg Series is one of that gem series which I am quite surprised is not more popular. It's the best treatment of WW1 I ever had seen. I love the attack-counterattack procedure, how it shows the importance of supply, the excellent rulebook and the playability for what can be considered a monster. It's the best portrait of what I have ever read it was the WW1 combat, because it teaches you why they stalled to trench warfare without making it about chrome. It puts the strategic focus not only on the victory locations but on generating losses and this creates a logic workflow of event.

The series also forces you early on to make poor choices so that it sets up the remainder of the war. Effectively, it preempts a bunch of 20/20 hindsight moves by the French (or Germans for that matter). It also highlights the devastating power of German Siege artillery early on against what initially appears to be indestructible Belgian fortresses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four series spring to mind:

1) The MMP/The Gamers' TCS system
2) Legion's Island War Series
3) Legion's IWAW (Indian War of the American West) series
4) MMP/The Gamers' NBS (Napoleonic Brigade Series)
5) Clash of Arms BAR series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.