Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
After Goa, Randy and I settled into a quick game of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.

In it, we had our first experience with a successful quest by the hobbits... unfortunately, from my point of view, it was the wrong sort of quest. I was rather hoping Frodo would make his way to disaster, being the Sauron player. Instead, he made his way to victory.

His cause was aided by my misunderstanding of the river rules - the arrows on the board only applied to the Free Peoples player, not to me. Thus, the Balrog was dreadfully out of position and couldn't take up the role of Guardian of Moria. Randy has pointed out to me that the Balrog was an extremely successful combatant, taking out two of his figures. My reply is that isn't the point, that the Balrog exists to be the Guardian of Moria, and any other use of his abilities is bad management, not consistent with the Code of Morgoth!

Besides, it meant that the centre position was held by weaker figures, with both the Witch King and Saruman off to the sides.

Randy had a big advantage in the early part of this game, as Pippin nobly sacrificed himself to take down the Cave Troll, and a couple of my other figures were destroyed cheaply. My Orcs were destroyed by Gimli. No!

In the middle game - not that it's a very long game - I began to regain ground, courtesy of my non-typecast Balrog. Unfortunately, my strong figures were now no longer guarding the way to Mordor, and Frodo and his friends began to creep up.

To make a short story shorter, Frodo made it. I attacked him with the Wargs, but he had a card advantage by this time, and Frodo defeated those nasty creatures. One more move... he was in Mordor and I was overthrown.

Do you see what happens when you let Balrogs move out of their comfort zone? Rack and ruin, that's what! Let that be a warning to future Overlords!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.