Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawn to the Flame - On Wings of Darkness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So my Drawn to the Flame (draw top of encounter deck then discover two clues at your location) moved me to a different location...

Do I move and then discover 2 clues (if there are any) or do I get the clues at the originally intended location, and then move.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaan Qualrus
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Draw the top card of the encounter deck. Then, discover 2 clues at your location."

And from the RRG :
Quote:
Then
If the e ect of an ability includes the word “then,” the text preceding the word “then” must be successfully resolved in full before the remainder of the e ect described a er the word “then” can be resolved.


So you discover 2 clues at your new location.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The encounter card has to fully resolve before the THEN clause is in effect, so you would discover clues at your new location.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
It is a 'then' effect, so you resolve the effect of the drawn encounter card in full before referring to anything after the 'then'.

Assuming you fail the check on OWOD, you discover clues from Riverside, not your previous location.

Edit: perhaps fun to note -- as a class with a card such as Scrying at hand, you can set that exact scenario up in advance as an intended play (with hopes of failing a check that you can't - at this point - sabotage).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:

Assuming you fail the check on OWOD, you discover clues from Riverside, not your previous location.


The check only determines if you take damage and horror - the nightgaunt is taking you to a central location regardless.

Fun story - had things setup so that a hunting nightgaunt and the masked hunter would both move to Riverside during the enemy phase, and next turn i would hurl some dynamite on them from one space away.
Nice plan - until the encounter card is On Wings of Darkness.
Cue 6 damage and 2 horror when Roland drops the dynamite at his feet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isolater wrote:
Noaloha wrote:

Assuming you fail the check on OWOD, you discover clues from Riverside, not your previous location.


The check only determines if you take damage and horror - the nightgaunt is taking you to a central location regardless.

Fun story - had things setup so that a hunting nightgaunt and the masked hunter would both move to Riverside during the enemy phase, and next turn i would hurl some dynamite on them from one space away.
Nice plan - until the encounter card is On Wings of Darkness.
Cue 6 damage and 2 horror when Roland drops the dynamite at his feet.


mplain wrote:
Matt answered this:
Quote:
Greetings!

The “pre-then” effect in this case is taking 1 horror and 1 damage. If you pass the test, nothing happens.

Hope that helps. =)

Matthew Newman
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:


[q="mplain"]Matt answered this:
Quote:
Greetings!

The “pre-then” effect in this case is taking 1 horror and 1 damage. If you pass the test, nothing happens.

Hope that helps. =)

Matthew Newman


Thanks for that. Makes no sense to me - surely the preceding then is making a test, and as long as you make the test (pass or fail) the "then" would resolve.
I think this is setting a bad precedent.
But thanks for letting me know.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isolater wrote:
Thanks for that. Makes no sense to me - surely the preceding then is making a test, and as long as you make the test (pass or fail) the "then" would resolve.
I think this is setting a bad precedent.
But thanks for letting me know.


I agree, it violates English grammar unnecessarily. It should have said "If you fail, take 1 horror and 1 damage and then disengage..."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The tamplating for 'Then' effects have been fully established in Thrones (and maybe Conquest?): it starts after a full stop with a capital letter and is followed by a comma. Just remember that the pre-Then part of the complex effect (the one that must successfully resolve in full in order to the post-Then past to attempt to resolve) iы a single sentence directly before the 'Then'. Not everything there is, but a single sentence.

I agree that it is somewhat confusing and unintuitive, but so are many things in life, eh? Once you learn how it works, it won't give you that much trouble.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.