Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually wasn't all that late - still before 10pm - but I had to work on Monday, and sleep would be something I needed. How else could I write the session reports today?

San Juan was, once again, the last game of the evening. I like traditions. They make me feel safe and cosy. Except for the tradition of me losing games. That doesn't make me safe and cosy. I prefer to be a rebel against that transition!

Randy got a dream start this game - Prefecture, Quarry, Gold Mine, Library. I could only look at those cards and dream. I sacrificed a build to get the Library first, then Gold Mine, Market Place, Coffee Plantation. Hmm. Not quite the same effect - the Prefecture was just being too good for Randy.

I considered sending in my troops to take it out, but unfortunately the game was San Juan, not Memoir '44 or Tide of Iron. So that was out. Perhaps I could do it with better cards from now on! That'd do it. A bit of production, a bit of 6-pointers. That'll do it!

Randy built a Chapel. My spirits sank.

Still, I worked my way up to a City Hall and a Palace. Surely he couldn't catch me now. I added a Crane, then used it to replace my Coffee Plantation with a Hero. More points for me! Hehe!

Chapel. Randy keeps putting cards under it. And I'm behind in number of buildings. This is not good. He also has a Hero and a Triumphal Arch. I laugh at his Triumphal Arch!

I know! I'll build my own Chapel! Unfortunately, this turned out to be the last build of the game, as Randy used the opportunity to build his 12th building... a Palace.

A Palace? Inconceivable!

Final scoring...
Basic buildings. Randy 19, Merric 17. Hmm. Not good.
Chapel: Randy 6, Merric 0. Hmm. Less good.
Large buildings; Randy 4, Merric 9. Woohoo! I'm catching up.
Palace: Randy 7, Merric 6. But not by enough.

Final score: Randy wins 36 to 32. It'd been a good game. The Gold Mines had worked a few times for both of us as well. I really wanted a Prefecture, but never saw one the entire game. Well, except for the one staring at me from Randy's half of the city.

Time to call it a night. Another good afternoon and evening of gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... From your description of Randy's start I figured you were starting a session report of a massacre! Good play to keep it from turning that direction.

And your reaction to the Prefecture.... I usually conjure thoughts of the Warlord from Citadels when I see a Prefecture staring me down from the other side of the table from the early part of the game. I'd gladly sacrifice some resources to take it out!

Keep on Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.