Subject: NY Times Sunday Crossword puzzle: Wanna race? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone here a New York Times Sunday Crossword puzzle fan? That Will Shortz sure keeps things interesting. In the old days, I'd buy the Sunday paper to get the puzzle. These days, they sell an online puzzle subscription. Even with the online access, I am old school: I print the puzzle out on actual paper and do it in pen. So far I've completed more than 1,450 of their Sunday puzzles.

It generally takes me between 1 and 2 hours depending on the difficulty, but my best time was just over 38 minutes! (I once did a daily in 8 minutes!)

This week's puzzle will be available on line in about 30 minutes. Anyone want to race?

=========
Update: my time = 60:17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I complete the Times' Sunday puzzle SOMETIMES, but no way in hell could I do it in 38 minutes. You're outta my league!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
One of my life's true pleasures. Usually can complete it but it is never easy. NYT is a good paper and we get a weekend subscription.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This week's puzzle was a good one. Though I've done hundreds and hundreds of them, once again they used a trick I've never seen before: The first and last across clues were identical, the second and second to last clues were the same, the third and third to last, fourth and fourth to last, etc., until clues 70 & 72 were the same.

This made the puzzle a bit challenging since every clue had to be vague enough to cover 2 words. I felt this made it a bit tougher, and slower, than usual.

Some examples:
Readings AND splurges were both clued "These could amount to fortunes."
"Father, familiarly" was both Pop AND Rev.
Stable AND Altars were both "Where to find grooms."

My time: 60 minutes, 17 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.