Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm doing this mostly from memory, that is until either myself or another can figure out where this 'stuff' is from to give "credit" where it is best due. These are intended to be used ALL at the same time together, so just bear with me on this then.

1st TURN ONLY~for the "Invaders" and conducted during their initial "Invasion" TURN:

"Nuclear Strike"~EACH of the "Invaders" is to conduct this by designating a USA CITY up to '3' areas away from one of their respective "Invasion Zones" as the TARGET. A d-10 is rolled against the "Military Units" in that TARGET CITY with a '5' or higher resulting in a HIT against these, so designate and roll separately for any of that. If some survive this, then they are immediately RETREATED up to their "Movement" allowance by the USA player, while the "Nuked" CITY is considered "Out of Play" for the remainder of the GAME, to include using that as a "Reinforcements" sallying point! This also is considered as permanently "Captured" towards the requisite '18' CITIES needed for the "Invaders". Any "Cards" that would have "Reinforcements" placed within one of these affected places, is then considered unplayable, but does NOT count against the USA player's "Draw", so it is discarded to one side and remains out of the "Deck" from now on. Another is then drawn in lieu of that.
*NOTE*You may consider this portion as *Optional* if you believe it may be too drastic for its implementations.

"Missile Strike"~EACH of the "Invaders" can choose up to '3' single USA Units up to '3' areas from any of their respective "Invasion Zones" to perform this against. Using a d-8, then roll it against the intended "Target" with a '1' having that affected Unit conduct a RETREAT by the USA player, or a '5' and higher causing a HIT.

"Paratroops"~EACH of the "Invaders" rolls a d-6 with a '1' to '5' indicating that many of their "Infantry" that can be 'para-dropped' into a single area up to '3' areas away from their respective "Invasion Zones". These will ALL be considered "Para-dropped" AND grouped into the same area when it is performed, and you don't have to commit the entire amount, but none others can be "Para-dropped" later on after this is done initially. A '6' rolled means that NO "Paratroops" were available. You will NEED to put them into "Supply" by the END of the initial TURN for these when this is done, or LOSE them due to that, where applicable.

USA Player~During their "Card Draw" phase, then they are allowed to CHOOSE to 'play' what they had picked, or replace that into the DECK on the bottom of this and select the next "Card", of which then they HAVE to 'play' it. They can ONLY do this with either their 1st, or the 2nd "Card Draw", or maybe even ONE of their additional "Extra" ones if any, and not for more than any ONE time per TURN! So choose wisely for that.

Once per GAME against EACH of the "Invaders", then the USA player can conduct a "Total Disruption" attack upon these. This results in that designated "Invader" so affected to LOSE their next upcoming TURN! It doesn't have to be done all at the same time either, so you can have some being targeted without losing the opportunity against another later on. This is performed during the USA player's TURN, where a specified "Invader" is denoted for such. Roll a d-10 with a '5' or higher causing this "effect". The USA player can use LASERS to increase their chances for success, with EACH one of that adding '1' to the "die roll" attempt and that is directed at a specific "Invader", but then it can't "FIRE" normally during the current TURN when this takes place. You could have none, one, or more of them having this take place, but you need to denote HOW this shall all be conducted with, against whomever being under any "modified die roll" before actual die rolling begins.

ALL Players~When conducting a regular "Move" with their "Helicopters", then they can 'Transport' an "Infantry" along with that, as long as they BOTH began in the same area together AND end up in this manner when that takes place. They can still perform COMBAT normally as well, such as when that takes place during "1st Moves". This then does also allow for a *Special 1st Turn Move* into an empty CITY when BOTH of those conduct this function together, but when it is performed in this instance, then those units can NOT also be involved for COMBAT. Also *Note* that you can NOT do this *Special Move* during the "2nd Moves" phase, but regular "Movements" are permitted within that.

Well, there you have yet some more *Options* for this excellent GAME now. Try this some altogether and see how you like those, OR if you need to give an "edge" to one side or the other, then pick & choose which of these that you'd like to include.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Somebody needs to reprint that classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool options, oh great Groggy One...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Culwell-Kanarek
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great ideas, and I'm interested in trying them out sometime to see how they affect the game.

There's one thing that I'm not sure if I understood: do all of the paradropped units have to land on the same map territory? That's how I interpret the sentence "grouped into the same area", but I could have it wrong.

I especially like the nuclear rule, mostly because I always felt like putting the cities on the board as game pieces cried out for some way to DEMOLISH them. As it is they really just exist to keep count, which is pretty boring.

A possible variation of this rule comes to mind, not sure how this would play out though:
- Nuking a city makes that space impassable by ground (foot+mech) units, either for the rest of the game or for a certain number of turns, to simulate the effect of irradiating the area. You could make a "mushroom cloud" counter to mark the affected space; this counter would also be helpful for your rule to indicate which cities are nuked and thus can't be recaptured. I expect this rule would work against the invader.
- Nukes don't have to be accurate to hurt, so in the event of a miss, roll a die to determine which neighboring map space was hit instead; then THAT space is rendered impassable instead. There should be a chance that a miss on a coastal city lands harmlessly in the sea, and maybe it shouldn't be allowed for a miss to hit a different city adjacent to the target city. Hitting a resource territory would deny use of that space for resource-based partisan cards.
- Maybe nuked cities or resource territories should not count as points toward the invaders' individual victories, giving them an incentive to try doing without nukes.

About your proposed helicopter "Transport" rule:

In real life militaries, helicopters generally do not fight as distinct units. Considering this, and that a helicopter piece can capture territory as infantry would, I get the impression that a helicopter must in fact represent an air assault unit, that is, a unit of airmobile infantry supported by helicopter gunships. Such a unit would merit its better combat odds because of its air support, mobility and also the fact that real-life units of this kind typically consist of elite, professional soldiers even when a draft is in force.

Against this interpretation is the fact that a helicopter counts as an air unit for combat purposes.

Anyway, ultimately reality is secondary to gameplay, but it's worth considering nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.