Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Noob Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
More questions occurred to me after my third solo (3-investigator) game (which had to be abandoned after 4 hours with all shops closed, and monsters terrorising 80% of the streets gulp, although I had sealed 5 gates).

I've read many of the posts on AH Rules but I may have missed out on some. So pls help if you know the answers.

1. How do I use Ally cards? Are they exhausted when used or are they like Skill boosters? Can Ally help in closing gates (fight check) and/or final battle with GOO?

2. If an investigator is deputized and drives the Paddy Wagon, he does not need to care about movement points and monsters on the streets standing between start and end points of movement?

3. If I choose to activate Curiousitie Shoppe location ability, must I buy 1 item even if I like none of the 3 cards I drew? (Same goes for General Store.)

4. Where do spent Gate Trophies go? Back to the box (out of the game) or into the draw pile of gates?

5. After a location is sealed, can Clues still appear there by direction of Mythos cards? What about monsters?

6. If I need to make a Sneak -3 check, but my Sneak skill is only 1, how many Clue tokens do I spend to roll 1 die? Just 1?

7. After an investigator returns to Arkham from an Outer World, and receives an Explored marker, but is unable to seal the gate for lack of Clue tokens and Elder Sign, can the investigator simply "sit" on the Explored marker, not moving, and wait for another to come and close+seal the gate? This question depends on:
- Whether closing and sealing must be done by the investigator who went exploring
- Whether closing and sealing must be done in the same turn that the investigator returns to Arkham

8. If the answer for Q7 is in favour of the investigator waiting for another to help close/seal gates, then should the awaiting investigator be subject to any encounter?

Thanks for your help,
C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okaraburger wrote:
More questions occurred to me after my third solo (3-investigator) game (which had to be abandoned after 4 hours with all shops closed, and monsters terrorising 80% of the streets gulp, although I had sealed 5 gates).

I've read many of the posts on AH Rules but I may have missed out on some. So pls help if you know the answers.

1. How do I use Ally cards? Are they exhausted when used or are they like Skill boosters? Can Ally help in closing gates (fight check) and/or final battle with GOO?

Allies, once acquired, act as a permenant stat boost. They can be used in the final battle and they can be used to close gates if they boost the fight or lore stats.

In other words, once you get one just consider the stat to be modified under all circumstances unless noted otherwise.

Quote:

2. If an investigator is deputized and drives the Paddy Wagon, he does not need to care about movement points and monsters on the streets standing between start and end points of movement?

No on both counts.
Quote:

3. If I choose to activate Curiousitie Shoppe location ability, must I buy 1 item even if I like none of the 3 cards I drew? (Same goes for General Store.)

yep. This is to prevent camping.

Quote:

4. Where do spent Gate Trophies go? Back to the box (out of the game) or into the draw pile of gates?

Draw pile.

Quote:

5. After a location is sealed, can Clues still appear there by direction of Mythos cards? What about monsters?

Yep to clues. Monster could appear due to encounters in said location, but that's about it.

Quote:
6. If I need to make a Sneak -3 check, but my Sneak skill is only 1, how many Clue tokens do I spend to roll 1 die? Just 1?

1 clue.

Quote:

7. After an investigator returns to Arkham from an Outer World, and receives an Explored marker, but is unable to seal the gate for lack of Clue tokens and Elder Sign, can the investigator simply "sit" on the Explored marker, not moving, and wait for another to come and close+seal the gate? This question depends on:
- Whether closing and sealing must be done by the investigator who went exploring
- Whether closing and sealing must be done in the same turn that the investigator returns to Arkham

Yes, they can spend their Arkham encounter phase continuously attempting to close the gate, but if they leave the location they loose the explored marker and must start fresh.

Quote:

8. If the answer for Q7 is in favour of the investigator waiting for another to help close/seal gates, then should the awaiting investigator be subject to any encounter?

The encounter *is* the gate closing attempt. They are prohibited from doing normal encounters till the gate is closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okaraburger wrote:

Allies add their bonuses just like Skills or Items, without being exhausted. Some Allies from the Dunwich Horror expansion have an additional ability that causes them to be exhausted, but that's explicitly written on the card.

okaraburger wrote:

Correct.

okaraburger wrote:

Yes. That's to prevent endless cycling through the deck to find those seals.

okaraburger wrote:

Back to the draw pile. Should you ever run out of gates the GOO awakens (the same is true for monsters).

okaraburger wrote:

No gates open and no monsters appear on a sealed location. Clues still do.

okaraburger wrote:

Yes. No matter what, each spent clue gives you one additional die (or two if you have an appropriate skill or special ability).

okaraburger wrote:

Only an investigator with an explored marker can close (and thus seal) the gate. But you can sit on the open gate with an explored marker indefinitely. So the other investigator would have to go through the Other World also. Without an explored marker he would be sucked through the gate during the Arkham Encounter phase (that's when you could close the gate).

You can however do this stunt with an Elder Sign: You wait on the gate with an explored marker, your buddy has a seal. He comes to you, hands over the seal and walks away (or, if you are before him in turn order he can even end his movement on the gate). During the Arkham Encounter phase you use the Elder Sign and everything's fine.

okaraburger wrote:

The gate replaces the location for all purposes, so you don't get a normal encounter there.

Whether or not you have to try and close the gate when sitting on it is another question, to my knowledge never fully resolved. I say yes, some say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the answers.

stargaze wrote:
Only an investigator with an explored marker can close (and thus seal) the gate. But you can sit on the open gate with an explored marker indefinitely. So the other investigator would have to go through the Other World also. Without an explored marker he would be sucked through the gate during the Arkham Encounter phase (that's when you could close the gate).

You can however do this stunt with an Elder Sign: You wait on the gate with an explored marker, your buddy has a seal. He comes to you, hands over the seal and walks away (or, if you are before him in turn order he can even end his movement on the gate). During the Arkham Encounter phase you use the Elder Sign and everything's fine.

Can an investigator "swing by" open gates, and thus is not drawn through them when he does not end his movement at those locations? I've this idea that the moment he gets to an open gate he gets drawn in, and thus movement stops there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Bexborn
Sweden
Kalmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okaraburger wrote:
Can an investigator "swing by" open gates, and thus is not drawn through them when he does not end his movement at those locations? I've this idea that the moment he gets to an open gate he gets drawn in, and thus movement stops there.

You do not get sucked into open gates until the Arkham Encounter phase, so passing over one during movement is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okaraburger wrote:

You get sucked through the gate during the Arkham Encounter phase as your encounter. The only exception is when a gate opens upon the character, then he's sucked in immediately (and is delayed).

As a quick addition to the answers to your question #5: Monsters don't appear at a sealed location even by encounters. They can still move there, however.

Arkham Horror rules, page 17 wrote:
No further gates can open and no monsters can appear at the location of the sealed gate for the remainder of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Bexborn
Sweden
Kalmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargaze wrote:
As a quick addition to the answers to your question #5: Monsters don't appear at a sealed location even by encounters. They can still move there, however.

Are you sure? I would think that monsters from encounters (that don't appear on the board) would still appear, as well as monsters that arise from certain Mythos cards. Doesn't the seal just hinder gate-induced monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the monsters still appear at the location, they just don't stay on the board after the encounter. The cards say 'A monster appears'. And the rules say '[...]no monsters can appear at the location of the sealed gate for the remainder of the game.'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Scott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
If there are multiple monsters at a single location, how does the evade/fight sequence commense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to deal with each monster separately, with you selecting which monster to do next and what to do with it.

So, it's:

- select monster
- select whether to fight or evade

a) if evade

- make evade check
- if unsuccessful take damage and go to b)

b) if fight (or evade unsuccessful)

- make Horror check
- make fight check(s)

- Repeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Scott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm having a terrible time figuring out all the parameters of this gamesoblue. Hopefully you all don't mind if I throw a bunch of dumb questions at you so that I can figure out how to play. This forum is the most efficient way to learn so please forgive me if these questions have been asked previously.

- If an Arkham Encounter says to pass a check that is impossible to pass (because the modifier made my skill even with or below zero), do I have to spend clue tokens to make it possible, or can I just ignore the AE.

- Unless you evade or kill a monster, you have to continue combat with it until it eventually reduces your stamina to zero, right?

- 1 round of combat = a battle against a single monster until either it dies or my investigator is reduced to 0 stamina? So if there are two monsters in the same location, I am going back and forth between the two in two separate combat situations?

- If I fail to cast a spell that used one hand, can I still attack with my fist or a weapon that uses the other hand? Does my fist count as one hand (I would hope so)? If I fail to cast a spell that uses two hands, am I not allowed to attack in any other way until I've taken damage?

- If there is a monster guarding a gate, you must evade it or kill it to enter the gate...correct?

- If you find yourself in a situation where you can neither evade or fight a monster successfully (because your skills were set in such a way that nothing works), do you merely wait for it to drop your stamina or sanity in order to resolve the situation?

- Spells that are "exhausted" when used can be refreshed in the upkeep phase, correct?

- An investigator doesn't have to move, he can just stay in the same spot during the movement phase, correct?

- How would I go about spending a movement point? By moving the speed down a notch?

- When two investigators are in the same location as a monster, do they not get any kind of modifier for this on combat checks?

Sorry for these stupid questions, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am truly obsessed with figuring out this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the logos wrote:
- If an Arkham Encounter says to pass a check that is impossible to pass (because the modifier made my skill even with or below zero), do I have to spend clue tokens to make it possible, or can I just ignore the AE.

If the encounter allows to choose whether to give it a try or not, you may simply choose not to. If it's not a choice, you can simply automatically fail and skip to the fail part of the encounter, but you may not skip the entire encounter in this case (though sometimes a failure doesn't have an effect). You are never forced to spend clue.

the logos wrote:
- Unless you evade or kill a monster, you have to continue combat with it until it eventually reduces your stamina to zero, right?

Correct. But note that you may try to evade the monster each combat turn if it doesn't have the Ambush ability.

the logos wrote:
- 1 round of combat = a battle against a single monster until either it dies or my investigator is reduced to 0 stamina? So if there are two monsters in the same location, I am going back and forth between the two in two separate combat situations?

No. One round of combat = one combat check against a monster. One combat = you and/or the monster are dead/unconscious/devoured/LiTaS/whatever. You deal with one monster (either evade or kill it or be killed/whatevered). Then, if you're still OK you deal with the next monster.

the logos wrote:
- If I fail to cast a spell that used one hand, can I still attack with my fist or a weapon that uses the other hand? Does my fist count as one hand (I would hope so)? If I fail to cast a spell that uses two hands, am I not allowed to attack in any other way until I've taken damage?

If you fail to cast a spell, the hand(s) for this spell are used, but if you still have free hands you may use those in any way you choose (spells or weapons). You can always attack with your basic fight + non-hand-using combat bonuses (like allies) even if you've used up all your hands unsuccessfully casting spells.

the logos wrote:
- If there is a monster guarding a gate, you must evade it or kill it to enter the gate...correct?

Correct.

the logos wrote:
- If you find yourself in a situation where you can neither evade or fight a monster successfully (because your skills were set in such a way that nothing works), do you merely wait for it to drop your stamina or sanity in order to resolve the situation?

Yes. Basically you resolve combat without rolling dice. Often this is once the Sanity damage and all but one Stamina, then place in the hospital. But sometimes it's better to 'try' to evade (if one hit is enough to send you to the hospital, that saves you the Sanity loss) or the Sanity loss is enough to send you to the Asylum.

the logos wrote:
- Spells that are "exhausted" when used can be refreshed in the upkeep phase, correct?

Correct.

the logos wrote:
- An investigator doesn't have to move, he can just stay in the same spot during the movement phase, correct?

Correct.

the logos wrote:
- How would I go about spending a movement point? By moving the speed down a notch?

No. At the start of your movement phase you receive movement points equal to your speed + permanent movement point bonuses. Then you can add some by using items that are exhausted when used. When moving (or spending movent points to read or to do something else) you just count them up (or down, if you prefer).

the logos wrote:
- When two investigators are in the same location as a monster, do they not get any kind of modifier for this on combat checks?

No. The other guy cowardly covers behind the next corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Scott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Why is there the #3 on some of the sanity tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the logos wrote:
Why is there the #3 on some of the sanity tokens?

That token represents 3 Sanity. That saves you from stacking 7 "brains" if you have 7 Sanity. Instead, you can have two of the Sanity tokens marked with "3", and one of the normal Sanity tokens to represent 7 Sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Scott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
-If something happens that removes monsters from Arkham, do monsters from the outskirts then move into the city?

-No monster surges occur when the gate drawn was to appear at location with an elder sign, correct?

-When a fight check is required, how does it differ from a combat check?

-Michael Glenn reduces stamina losses he suffers by one. When facing Cthulu, why couldn't he choose to take the 1 point of stamina damage each time he suffered an attack and then just keep using his special ability in order to never be devoured???

-Monsters with "combat" ability never allow an initial evade attempt?

-Do you add to the doom track when there is a monster surge, or just when a gate opens?

-Does an investigator stay cursed after getting lost in time and space? Does he lose an ally when getting lost in time and space?

-Holy water works against a monster with physical immunity right?

-An investigator may move through monsters in the streets, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the logos wrote:
-If something happens that removes monsters from Arkham, do monsters from the outskirts then move into the city?

No. Once in the Outkirts the (usually) stay there until removed by closing gates or the Outskirts overflow.

the logos wrote:
-No monster surges occur when the gate drawn was to appear at location with an elder sign, correct?

Correct. Monster surges only appear when there's an open gate where a new one should appear.

the logos wrote:
-When a fight check is required, how does it differ from a combat check?

Items that add to yout combat check don't help when making a Fight check. So a combat check is a (Fight + Combat bonuses) check. Note that skills, allies and items that add to your Fight do help when making a combat check (as the combat check bases on Fight).

the logos wrote:
-Michael Glenn reduces stamina losses he suffers by one. When facing Cthulu, why couldn't he choose to take the 1 point of stamina damage each time he suffered an attack and then just keep using his special ability in order to never be devoured???

Glenn's ability reduses the loss of stamina tokens, whereas Cthulhu reduces the maximum stamina/sanity. This cannot be stopped by Glenn's ability.

the logos wrote:
-Monsters with "combat" ability never allow an initial evade attempt?

There is no combat ability. Monsters can have the Ambush ability, which prevents investigators to evade after once entering combat (so initial evasion is still possible). Or (with some new Encounters) monsters can Surprise you, which prevents the initial evade attempt.

the logos wrote:
-Do you add to the doom track when there is a monster surge, or just when a gate opens?

No doom tokens for a surge, only for a new gate opening.

the logos wrote:
-Does an investigator stay cursed after getting lost in time and space? Does he lose an ally when getting lost in time and space?

Getting LiTaS does not do anything to the investigator by itself. Getting LiTaS because of dying in the Other Worlds makes the investigator lose the usual (half the items and clue, retainer). Allies and curses/blessings are unaffected.

the logos wrote:
-Holy water works against a monster with physical immunity right?

Correct. It's a magical attack.

the logos wrote:
-An investigator may move through monsters in the streets, correct?

If he successfully evades them, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Scott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for your help everyone. Kai, you were right about the question I asked about "combat" ability, indeed I meant to say "ambush" ability...oops. This game is slowly coming together for me thanks to you guys. I played my first full game last night...it took five hours. Cthulu awoke because of too many portals being open, then kicked the living crap out of my Michael McGlen and Darrell Simmons. Moving through monsters like they weren't there was definitely something I'd been doing wrong. Guess I thought you only had to evade them if you started or ended you movement in a location with a monster. Now the game will be much different for me, as monsters dilineate where I may move to a degree. For now the game seems pretty difficult, but as I get the hang of it, strategy will become more of a focus and the game will get easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.