Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every month, on the last Thursday of that month, I hold a gaming night in the only store that really has good boardgames selection here in Israel. Usually from 6-18 people come to enjoy the gaming night. There is a small fee (~2/3 of a movie ticket for almost twice as long event) for attending but I believe the fee is not a major issue of preventing people from attending. Last time only 2 people came and we had to cancel the gaming night for the first time in two years.
It was kind of sad for me, and I partially blame the store that does not enough publicity that is in its means such as using its mailing list (the owner claim more then 5000 people on it), not enough exposure on its website (there is a very small section about the gaming nights that you really have to dig deep if you want to find it). I must admit that I do get a small fee for every person attending, but this does not make it worth my time (as a freelance programmer I can make almost 10 times more an hour)
I’m not sure I should continue these gaming nights. Maybe save my energy for other gaming promotion activities such as writing more information for the web site.
Just letting some steam out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, every club has a down night once in a while. Is this a trend, or not?

In any case, sure, if the game store doesn't promote these nights well, and you leave it up to them, then they won't do so great. But base your decision to stay or go on how much support you're getting, not on a one night event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While I shall "blame CANADA!... blame CANADA!" with all of their infernal rigmarole, it can certainly take its TOLL! "blame CANADA!... blame CANADA!" they're NOT even a 'real' country to boot eh? and that's ALL I got to 'say' HEY!
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strike Force was robbed!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I think the last Thursday also being the 5th Thursday and therefore pretty unusual may have had an impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also get declining attendance as we head towards summers. People get married and study for finals. Then during summer they go on vacation.

I can have 15 people in the wintertime, and none or one in the summer. That's just the way it goes. And I don't charge anything at all.

Also, you've been successful about spreading the word of gaming. There is a new Russian board game club in Jerusalem, and one in Raanana now. Probably, there are islands of people playing with their friends and family. They now have less incentive to go out to find people to play with.

Still, you should be able to get a meeting once a month. Definitely advertise more, set up a proper mailing list, and call it an official club (people like to belong to clubs). Consider changing the venue. Freak doesn't seem particularly friendly about it when I talked to the owner. You could try the ECGI, instead.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
While I shall "blame CANADA!... rr CANADA!" with all of their infernal rigmarole, it can certainly take its TOLL! "blame CANADA!... rr CANADA!" they're NOT even a 'real' country to boot eh? and that's ALL I got to 'say' HEY!
surprise

devil i RESEMBLE that REMARK. arrrh

And on topic. That's too bad and hopefully it was just a bump. I know it takes a fair bit of effort to arrange a game day and if only two people show it can feel like it is going for naught.

My wife and I went to small game day yesterday and had a wonderful day. I got to introduce two people to Arkadia and play my first game of Colosseum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. N. Dominick
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a weekly boardgame night on Thursdays at the FLGS and one on the second Tuesday that's tied in with a local gaming group. Both are promoted on the mailing list and shop calendar. Attendance is way down over winter; in December, the Tuesday group had over 20 people, and the last one had just five. I miss a good, bustling game night, and am unsure how to get people to attend again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.