Great Western Trail» Forums » General

Subject: Teaching this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Brough
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi All,
how did you go about teaching this? Seems like it might be difficult with the details, scoring etc. Is it a matter of play a few rounds and you will get the hang of it? Or this is what you need to know first and I will explain other parts as we go along?
Really want to get mine played, don't want to sour the experience for the others I will have to teach it to.
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the starting setup works well to teach. (All the neutral buildings in order and A sides of buildings). This allows you to give a general overview of what each worker is good for, when telling them how to buy them in A, then proceeding right into Craftsmen for building B. Building C allows you to segue into Engineers and you can explain the whole train system then. Building D allows you to explain all the auxilliary actions and how single/double is distinct. Then comes the cattle market and Cowboys. Finally explain the hazard removal and how it's important for objectives, and explain the objectives if you hadn't already at C. I've found that shows off most of the most common icons, so they can already figure out the first several buildings of side A. And of course, whenever something references Kansas City, just say I'll explain that when I get there, then walk them through each step of KC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I begin by a) telling what the game is about by using the game board: A. the three parts of the game board: a) Trail; b) KC (and Job Market); c) Railroad from KC- San Francisco & beyond).
B. The three phases of a player's game turn:
1) moving herds of cattle from here (Texas) to here (KC);
2) selling your cattle in KC and
3) delivering your cattle to one of the cities here (along the rail).

Second, I explain the player board:
A. It shows the three things you do on a turn:
1) Move;
2) Take Action (explain the 7 neutral buildings & their icons);
3) Refill your hand. I make them look at these three phases on the top row of their player boards.

Third, I explain the two kinds of Actions: Auxiliary actions taken on other player's buildings and hazards, and actions on your buildings & neutral buildings.

Fourth, I explain the scoring & how the game ends. I will explain the finer details of the game and meanings of the icons as we approach them.

Fifth, I may explain the cattle market, the objective cards, and the job market - but these can be taught as we get to them.

I am by no means an expert at playing or explaining the game - so the above will probably be refined as I gain more experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Windy City Meeple
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I will find out tonight. Teaching someone tonight and its my second game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gast

Weyauwega
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I have a hard time trying to figure out where to start and how to go about teaching this game. More so than any other game I teach. I think its hard for me to decide where to start and what to explain next. Anyone else have some good pointers and tips to explaining this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of interest, how long does it take you all to explain the game? I haven't bought the game yet and am hesitating on whether to buy it. I struggle getting games to the table that take a long time to explain and pick up, such as Dungeon Petz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r b
United States
flag msg tools
Ell131 wrote:
Out of interest, how long does it take you all to explain the game?

I asked this question on reddit and got a couple of responses. 15 to 30m seems to be the expectation. https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/665o13/great_we...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.