Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that Finn, General Grievous, Poe, and many others only come with one dice. This is bull, because now to play the higher point value of that character you have to get another booster that happens to have the same extra die. This also has the side effect of not allowing more than one of those characters having two dice. There should be a way to get the extra dice without buying random boosters hoping to eventually get it.

Come on Fantasy Flight, that's crap!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wadzinski
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I take it you've never played a ccg before? Miniature market, coolstuffinc and other online shops sell singles and there's a trade geeklist here and on reddit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played MTG, but at least with that when I get the card I have it without any restrictions. With this method even getting another copy of the die/card only allows me to play with two one dice version or one two dice version.

It's a double whammy. Yes you can buy singles but that's super costly. People are selling Vader, and Launch Bay for $50+ already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bretai70 wrote:
There should be a way to get the extra dice without buying random boosters hoping to eventually get it.

I can't see what the problem is. That's like saying you pulled XXXX MTG card you should be able to get the other 3 what are allowed in a deck without buying more boosters. It's not like a character is useless with only one die, you just get a choice to make it elite if you have both, but elite isn't always better, for example those 3points you save not going elite could allow an extra character to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not what I am saying at all. This game has added a second requirement to collecting. You need both cards and dice. Why not sell the dice on the side for a nominal price so you have the option to buy them, instead of an expensive single that FFG makes nothing on since it's the after market.

I played MTG from 1993-2008 and it cost me greatly. This game will end up being unreal as well. I already figured to get what I want by either random chance or singles is over $500 for just this set.

If people don't agree, that's fine. I'm not changing my viewpoint on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filippo Moretti
Italy
Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, in MtG you often need more than one copy of a card (up to 4).
I'd say that Destiny is more collector-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in that case why don't they go all the way and just do away with boosters all together and sell every card/dice individually, let people pick and choose what they need. It's a CCG, this is how CCG's have always worked so why change a business model that works just so that people who must have everything don't have to spend as much.

I don't see where this second requirement comes from, imagine there were no dice in the packs and it was just cards. You have one Vader card but he would be better if you had two... that's what this is. It's not like you ever pull a useless card because you don't have a die to match (unless they were packed wrong), so there is no secondary requirement as a card always come with the required die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
think of the dice and card as one and the same (which they basically are, since neither can used without the other).

You have one copy of Han Solo? Cool!

You want to have a 2nd copy of him? Well you'll have to pull one, trade for him or buy one on the secondary market...

Just. Like. Any. Other. Rare.

So if you pull a card in MtG, WOTC should send you the other 3 cards right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this dude (OP) trolling us? I can't tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
Is this dude (OP) trolling us? I can't tell.

The tantrum appears to be quite real. And now that nobody at all sympathizes with it, he appears to be beating a hasty retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bretai70 wrote:
That's not what I am saying at all. This game has added a second requirement to collecting. You need both cards and dice. Why not sell the dice on the side for a nominal price so you have the option to buy them, instead of an expensive single that FFG makes nothing on since it's the after market.

I played MTG from 1993-2008 and it cost me greatly. This game will end up being unreal as well. I already figured to get what I want by either random chance or singles is over $500 for just this set.

This game is much friendlier than MTG regardless of what you might think. Still, it is a collectible game with all that entails. As a consumer you need to deal with that or stay away from the model. Anything else will drive you crazy.

Spending $500 on a complete play set may be foolish. Team Covenant was (and may still be) offering Saga Sets. You get a complete play set for $300 or you can get a hero or villain play set, but I don't know the price of those. That is less than the price of a play set of Jace the Mind Sculptor. Before he got banned he cost $320 to $360.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are all saying, "The entertainment value of this game is not as high as I would like. Therefore I'm going to stop spending money on it and play a different game with a higher entertainment value."

If that's not what you are saying, then quit your belly-aching and just play the freaking game and pay what's expected.

Check out BGG, it's a database with literaly tens-of-thousands of games. I bet you'll find a really great game that has the value you seek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh oh oh where is this trade geeklist?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bretai70 wrote:

Because that makes less money and is not the distribution model they decided on. Also, if people could buy the dice, they'd do that, skip boosters, Andy proxy the cards.

Quote:

Yep, this is definitely shaping up to be one of the most expensive CCGs ever.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with this. Don't listen to everyone calling you a troll - you haven't gone after anyone personally; they're the ones in the wrong with their responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wadzinski
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Here you go, http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/217877/star-wars-destiny-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bretai70 wrote:
This is bull, because now to play the higher point value of that character you have to get another booster that happens to have the same extra die.
There should be a way to get the extra dice without buying random boosters hoping to eventually get it.

If you can't afford a collectible game then don't play it, but don't go and complain on forums that the distribution model is "crap". That is the whole purpose of those games: limit the availability of cards/dice -> buy more packs.

Idaho11 wrote:
bretai70 wrote:

$500 is nothing for any kind of CCG ... I spend alot more on MTG over the years, alot :-/

And you can always proxy cards/dice for private casual play. But if you want to enroll into tournament play and events then yes: you have to buy your way into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Him feeling like you probably need a higher "buy in" than we did with MtG - where you could play with just a starter, and as you bought the first boosters you could start swapping stuff in and out. But with SWD you need to get useable dice, and that means buying quite a few - or being lucky. I can't use 1/6 of the cards I've got so far, and only have four characters beyond the starter decks (with no sign of any elites). But I'm going to carry on buying a few boosters here and there and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
where you could play with just a starter, and as you bought the first boosters you could start swapping stuff in and out.

you can do that with destiny too.

RDewsbery wrote:
But with SWD you need to get useable dice, and that means buying quite a few - or being lucky. I can't use 1/6 of the cards I've got so far, and only have four characters beyond the starter decks (with no sign of any elites).

how is this any different than buying a red starter for magic and not being able to play your blue cards you get in packs? Assuming you refuse to trade or buy on singles market only buying a single starter for magic will leave you with 3 or 4 colors that you cant play for lack of lands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* fart noise *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorron wrote:

Idaho11 wrote:

$500 is nothing for any kind of CCG ... I spend alot more on MTG over the years, alot :-/

For $729, you can get a complete playset of the most recent MTG set. So $500 isn't nothing - it's more than enough to get a non-Mythic playset of Magic, and enough to get a playset of all cards plus a few of the Mythics. You're comparing $500 for one set vs. your total Magic investment, which isn't a fare comparison.

That said, the playset of a Magic set is about $200 more than I thought it would be, so my initial comparison was also off. I'd still stand by this being one of the more expensive CCGs out there, though I'm less certain of that than I was before I looked up the price of a Magic playset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
ghorron wrote:

Idaho11 wrote:

For $729, you can get a complete playset of the most recent MTG set. So $500 isn't nothing - it's more than enough to get a non-Mythic playset of Magic, and enough to get a playset of all cards plus a few of the Mythics. You're comparing $500 for one set vs. your total Magic investment, which isn't a fare comparison.

That said, the playset of a Magic set is about $200 more than I thought it would be, so my initial comparison was also off. I'd still stand by this being one of the more expensive CCGs out there, though I'm less certain of that than I was before I looked up the price of a Magic playset.

Team Covenant was selling a playset of Destiny for $300. May still be selling them if they have any left. If one was paying attention and shopping around there would've been no reason to pay $500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
Team Covenant was selling a playset of Destiny for $300. May still be selling them if they have any left. If one was paying attention and shopping around there would've been no reason to pay $500.

The TC Saga Set was not a complete playset. It included only a single copy of each legendary, which are of course the difficult ones to get. So you'd need two (at $600) for a complete playset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't quite buy the OPs original argument. There is absolutely NO requirement to use epic character's over regular characters. Once you have the regular character, you can use them in a game.

Epic characters (2 dice) are in fact not always a massive benefit. They have one advantage of having 2 dice usable on the first turn and that may appear to many as a huge advantage. It is not.

Epic characters start the game with a HUGE target on their head. Because they start with a stronger position your opponent will gain more from eliminating them as early as possible. Epic characters do NOT gain more health and that's the key. They can hit harder but they cannot take more damage.

Building a team with regular characters may look weaker but something as simple as rBala-Tik, a Nightsister and two Stormtroopers (all regular of course) is a surprisingly effective team. Collectively they have a lot of health, more than your Epic team build will have. I've built a rLuke/rQui-Gon deck that is quite strong as well.

In short, there is absolutely no requirement to getting the 2nd die to playing everything at epic. This game is extremely versatile as it is. The regular versions of characters do NOT make them useless. If fact, it has become quite interesting to figure out ways to seeing how effective you can make regulars vs epics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
This distribution model is crap, always has been. The answer is not to buy into it in the first place. Was an easy choice for me, less support of ANA, more money in my pocket, and plenty of other games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falccor77 wrote:
This distribution model is crap, always has been. The answer is not to buy into it in the first place. Was an easy choice for me, less support of ANA, more money in my pocket, and plenty of other games to play.

* Slow Clap *

Thanks for your contribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.