Popular Tags: [View All]
Charalampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, today it just came to me,the idea of having the last player token.

This is how this works:

Any action of the game gives 2GP (Game Points)

Once a player starts the round all players go round and round and round until one of the players depletes his/her hand and triggers the end of the game.

But it would be fair for everyone to play one more time (giving the previous posisioned players having one more action, eg the 2nd player triggers game end so if everyone plays one more time the game ends at the 1st player and that player has 1 more action)...

...or for everyone that hasn't played this round to play one more time, which is fair for all, right ?

What about a player's ability to change who will get not to play more actions ? The last player token gives this opportunity that when a player triggers the last round all the player up to you will play and all the players after you will not...

If someone takes the last player token from the pool pays nothing, but if someone takes the last player token from you, you get 2 GP (Game Points) due to the fact that you just lost your turn and generally in the game you build a more euro engine where there is not direct conflict.

But from the description of this how does the Last Player token sounds ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty complicated, and unless your game tends to be super tight, I'm not sure how much it will matter, especially if someone has to use an action or actions to take it.

Also, the end of a tight game is often the most tense, if you're trying to get one last thing done, or whatever. This has the potential to feel pretty cheap, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

What if the game leader is ahead of you in player order? Then you take the last player token and everyone after you doesn't get to play again. But the game leader still does?

I also agree with the first replier, it sounds like a way to cheapen the ending. I think if you make this a major mechanic, you'll find people just start treating your last round as a bonus round and start making sure the game is resolved before the last round.

An example of a game that has this mechanic (sort of) is Seasons. If you're not familiar with it, the game ends AFTER the turn in which a counter crosses a particular threshold, and it moves 1 to 3 spaces towards that based around a die that is not selected. There are a few cards that allow that die to be re-rolled, and one in particular allows someone to take an action to move the counter whichever they want 1-3 spaces. It means that they can extend the game, or they can push the game to end before everyone is expecting it to (all players know how many spaces the token should advance at the end of that turn before they take their actions, so it is easy to otherwise see that there will be another turn).

This card is devastatingly effective at this particular tactic, because there are significant penalties for not getting all cards out of your hand, etc. Particularly if the person using it as such is the last player, because they can clear out their hand knowing it is the last turn, and the others are surprised.

Now, I as a result always play with the expectation that if I am playing an opponent they have that card in their hand towards the end of the game. It doesn't necessarily hurt significantly to do it that way, but it can be killer if you don't and they do.

Having seen the way it plays out, I can tell you that in a different kind of game, I'd probably be pretty upset if I were to be robbed of my last play. I think introducing this as an ever-present mechanic sets yourself up for a lot of frustration. There is nothing IMO worse in a game than just suddenly finding yourself unable to complete any of your plans because the game state changed so dramatically that you do not get a turn you were planning to have.

But that's just MO. Other people may prefer this as part of their mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We have had that ability with the such as within "Shogun/Samurai Swords" with their TURN "hidden until revealed"-'swords' as you can 'bid' upon the "Turn Order Swords" as well. You could choose LAST even. \ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.