Subject: Need Playing Mat??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Mats [+] [View All]
Michael Mobley
Australia
Melbourne (Ringwood)
Victoria
flag msg tools
No really, I have never designed a boardgame!
badge
Spin, spin, spin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started using my new miniatures and they look great - but I need something to play on that looks as good. What are people using. Are there any commercially available mats with some terrain printed on it?

I'm using green felt, which looks OK, but the background on the cards looks so much better! Maybe FFG could produce a play mat with the art from the cards on it (not likely I'd guess, but one can dream).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MickM wrote:
Just started using my new miniatures and they look great - but I need something to play on that looks as good. What are people using. Are there any commercially available mats with some terrain printed on it?

I'm using green felt, which looks OK, but the background on the cards looks so much better! Maybe FFG could produce a play mat with the art from the cards on it (not likely I'd guess, but one can dream).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wouldn't that be lovely! kiss
People I have played with have said exactly the same thing. Should we use this thread as a petition? Unless there is already something out there, this would be perfect.
And, if needs be, you could overlay some hex sheeting for other games too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquim Freitas
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this, perhaps?

http://www.miniature-airplanes.com/hexmats.php

Or more exactly this stuff:

http://www.hotzmats.com/felt_purchase_mat.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viriato wrote:

I was just going to post the Hotz link. Those are some fine-lookin' mats. Although it's not relevant here, their space mat would look really nice with my Federation Commander minis, too ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mobley
Australia
Melbourne (Ringwood)
Victoria
flag msg tools
No really, I have never designed a boardgame!
badge
Spin, spin, spin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies. Some of these look good.

I like the Hotz Mats European Fields for a start, but might have a look at there custom map service (really need some trenches).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the HotzMats blank European Fields map looks great! But damn, $60 for a tables worth of colored squares seems a bit extreme.

It would take about 10 minutes to create a Photoshop pattern of earth-tone rectangles. The only trick would be to get that printed on felt. But is it really a $60 trick?

A 6x4 mat shouldn't cost more than $25 with shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ritter
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It would be nice if FFG produced a nice battle mat that could be used with the Wings of War Miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
It would end up costing at least that much unless it was produced en-masse. I'd still expect a $40 pricepoint or higher.

One of the problems is it's always likely to be done more-or-less by hand (I mean not-automated) since the volume will be on the low side.

Still.. if enough people got together maybe Hotz could be convinced to do a WoW version of European Fields. That would either distribute the template costs or make it worthwhile for them to just do one.

I think they only charge the additional for the template creation, after that it's reusable.

j.,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Nexus Editrice (that's the Italian original producer of WoW - FFG is the licensor for English language editions) is seriously considering the idea of producing a playing mat with the original artwork by Dario calì, the one you see on the background of cards. We actuially spoke of that at least a couple of years ago, but booster packs, models, WWII, boosters for WWII got priority...

I'll keep you updated.

All the best!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
well, now that we're up to WWII in your list i'd vote for the following:
1.WWII models (oh please hurry! how can i play with the WWII game when i have the cool WWI models?)
2.playing mat (so it's a more enjoyable experience to play with all the stuff i have already)
3.WWII boosters with models (more WWI planes are so last war )
4.repeat step 3 as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if I may make a "constructive criticism" suggestion-- please review the artwork for sometimes being a little bit too artistic.

This was never a problem with the original games, but the maneuver cards for the boosters-- Top Fighters especially-- have a more dramatic art treatment for the ground which occasionally gets into the way.
I'll go pull distinct cards to cite if you want, but I recall noticing originally (and really noticing at the Nashcon demo) that some of the ground details-- like a really stark trench outline-- were actually strong enough to compete with the eye for following the maneuver arrow.

So while I like the idea of having something other than plain blue felt (which is what I use) or green felt that others describe, we do want to be careful with how prominent ground art will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, Kevin.

We actually have two different artworks by Dario. One has been used in all the WWI boxes, the other one in the boosters. The first one has been designed to be used as a single drawing, the other one is quite icho of terrain features and has been more planned to be usded in little bits - it has a lot of fortifications, railway stations, mountain roard and other nice things, that all together in a mat would make it somehow less realistic. But I think nexus would probably use the one from the boxes.

All the best!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
Nexus Editrice is seriously considering the idea of producing a playing mat with the original artwork by Dario calì, the one you see on the background of cards.

So long as the price isn't too scary, I'd buy one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you can get a 6X8 foot for just $5 more than 6X4 foot. Find a friend, cut the material in half and you'll both have your own 6X4 European Field!
(off to find my own buddy!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:

We actually have two different artworks by Dario. One has been used in all the WWI boxes, the other one in the boosters.

Yeah, I have to say I greatly prefer the Dario background from the boxed sets. While the background from the booster packs is not bad art, it is much darker and blends too much with the illustrations of the aircraft as well as the maneuver arrows. Maybe it should have been 'washed out' a little. It would be nice if it was used to redo the K, L and M decks for the next miniatures wave, but I guess it is probably too late for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Manoff
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I you want an excellent solution for a ground surface mat, I would visit your local Wal-Mart, JoAnn's Fabric or similiar store and purchase a length of fabric. I found a really nice green mat that looks like bushes (spring growth and not yellow fall growth) in the close out section for $1 a yard. I purchased 3 yards (9 feet) of mat for $3.

I use binder clips from the local office supply store to pull the mat across a folding table. I am sure you could find a gold/yellow mixture for summer/fall folage.

The mat also works great with Battleground Fantasy Warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also ...
a. start with a piece of light green (spring grass) cloth from the fabric store
b. use fabric glue to glue on random rectangles of tan, brown, and dark green cloth

Then, I was thinking that you might was other terrain features. I'm not familiar with the scenario requirements of WoW, but you could add a river by simply using fabric glue to glue on a nice winding strip of blue cloth and outline it with a black marker.

Finally, I was thinking that you could pick up some printable Iron-ons, and then use your printer to print out transferable landmarks, roads, railway lines, towns, trenches, factory complexes, airfields, etc.

In fact, I was thinking that some of the more artistic Geeks might know of a nice repository of aerial shots which might show the sort of look one might be trying to replicate, or help design a "map" one might try to draw using such iron-on transfers.

That way you could use your giant cloth map to set scenarios to photograph a railway station or factory in the middle of the map, or bomb an airfield, etc, and have it all actually appear on the map in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I want this mat. Where can I get one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a reply from Eric Hotz in my spam filter today. I guess he responded right off but I hadn't noticed it until now. I originally had sent him an inquiry about a custom mat with a WoW oriented theme (trenches, farmlands, forests, buildings, etc). Sounds like he's been thinking of designing something like this anyway and that it will be on his list for future products.

Eric Hotz wrote:

Hello Ted,

We are looking into creating trench mats. This has been one of our interests for the last three years, but the final result must look good and, of course, be what people are expecting to purchase.

Once we have moved into our new print studio we will have more room to tackle the "trench mat". Our present studio is too small and constricting to allow us to do a lot of the R&D required.

One problem with creating a trench mat is that we also produce several hex and square sizes, and most people will want the trench mat to match any and all hexes/squares we print, and that is a major problem. Not everyone wants a non-hexed/square grid mat. Our first mats will probably be designed to match the 5 and 3 inch hexes, with 2 inch coming out soon afterwards.

The cost to do this is not cheap and is also very time consuming to design. However, we are committed to creating this product.

That is about all I can say at this time, except that we are moving into our new print shop within the next two weeks.

The final cost of the game mat will be between $39.99 and $49.99 USD. Not exactly sure what details will be placed onto the game mat, but roads, trenches, shell holes, fields, towns are probably a must, as are forests, etc. We cannot put too much onto the mat simply because of the cost per item and time required to create each mat must be kept with reasonable limits, otherwise the time required will out weigh the financial return.

--

Take care...

Eric Hotz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.