Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All!

Just a reminder that the next Leighton Buzzard / Milton Keynes Games session is upon us - next Saturday, 9th June.

I'll be bringing along Canal Mania 2nd Ed., It's Alive! and some other new games picked up at Games Expo last weekend.

All the normal info can be found here:

http://www.gaminguk.info/mk/

Also a bit of advance warning for the August session - this has been brought forward to the 4th of August, as I have a family event I can't miss on the the 11th.

See you all Saturday,

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone interested in playing Italia on Saturday? Like Britannia but in Italy. With 3 players the game covers the Rise of Rome down to the civil war in 80 BC. With 4 players the Game runs from the Visigoth invasion of Italy in 410 AD to the Coronation of Charlemagne in 800 AD. Usual Britannia stuff, players control several different nations who score points by occupying areas and killing each other. Probably about 3 hours long, maybe a bit more as it will be first time for everyone.

I won't be there in August- I'm on holiday in Scotland for the first two weeks. Have fun anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pass Philip, as I need to play host this month and let Gina concentrate on winning apparently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really want to play Border Reivers ....

Cecilia has promised she will play sometime this week, but if not I will have to force someone on Saturday

(look into my eyes...........)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not looking David, I'm not loo........ wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:

Good man!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get everywhere don't you Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, came over to thumb your thread (must recommend UK clubs), and then the thread got interesting...

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgin
United Kingdom
Stevington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have yet to play my copy of Border Reivers (picked up with "It's Alive" at the UK Expo) & so would be happy to join you, David, in a game.
That is, of course, if I can definitely make it along .... still not entirely certain! ... but hoping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you do make it Andrew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
dwrigley wrote:

Good man!

Cheers,

Jack

Well, managed a first game tonight with Cecilia.
I lost (but that is normal for me !)

Standard 2-player simple setup, and I took the side with the city nearest the mine. I quickly spread out my 5 armies, 1 to move up towards the mine, 1 to take the forest nearest the mine. My other armies I used near my city to cultivate, and eventually settle to create towns. I also managed to fortify the tile next to the mine.
The result of this activity was ownership of the starting city, 3 towns, and a tower fortification + 2 remaining armies...... and here was the flaw in my world domination plan. My wife had done some cultivation, but had not settled as much, and had been lucky on her reinforcements dice-rolls to gain THREE new armies. She then used this to take-over the mine, used additional revenue to increase the chances of reinforcements, took over the tower, took over one of my undefended towns and then captured my city.

I conceded defeat at this point shake

I obviously should have chosen a more conservative approach and gain an extra city rather than too many simple towns (as this would also have given me extra reinforcements rolls).

Sigh .... maybe I am not cut out for this stuff....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya David,

You're definitely best off going for cities rather than lots of towns. I recommend reading the strategy guide on my website (linked from the Border Reivers page here on the Geek). You can use the Reiving Party & Insurrection cards to pull someone back from the front line.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H Richard

The link to your website works, but none of the links from that home page works. I was interested to find out where you meet, what you play, etc.

Mike (Herts)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, we meet in Leighton Buzzard Church Hall which is a 2 minute wallk from Leighton Buzzard station (on the Berkhamsted line).

There are quite a lot of games available at the typical meeting- there tends to be a bias towards euros and shorter, lighter fare, but there is usally at least one game being played that will take most of the day and there are wargames around.

This Saturday I'm bringing Italia...and it looks like there might be some possibility of Border Reivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeb13603 wrote:
H Richard

The link to your website works, but none of the links from that home page works. I was interested to find out where you meet, what you play, etc.

Mike (Herts)

Hi Mike, sorry about that. The bloke who runs the site for us changed servers last weekend, and it looks like he's lost some stuff - I shall have a word.....

The venue is Linslade Parish Hall, situated off Wellington Road, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard. Their website is here:

http://www.linsladeparish.uklinux.net/index.html

Map showing location is here:

http://www.linslade-parish.org.uk/Location/streetmap.gif

We meet from 10.00am to 5.00pm. The hall has more than enough (free) parking, and as Philip has said it is only about 2 minutes from Leighton Buzzard Railway Station (across the recreation ground), and is a 10-15 minute walk away from the town centre, probably only 5 minutes to a big Tescos.

We play mainly Euro style board and card games, but the odd board wargame also crops up - four of us played Sword of Rome last month and Philip and I are playing Onward Christian Soldiers next month for example.

We charge £5.00 per head for the day, but that includes free tea or coffee

Geekmail me if you'd like any more info.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Sigh .... maybe I am not cut out for this stuff....

You're good David, but Cecilia is just better devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have left my copy of Italia in Ealing, so I won't have it with me tomorrow. As no one seems to be interested in it its no great loss.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Have left my copy of Italia in Ealing, so I won't have it with me tomorrow. As no one seems to be interested in it its no great loss.meeple

Well, we played Britannia a year ago and haven't fully recovered yet...

Good game, but perhaps a bit too long for my tastes - for that amount of time investment I'd rather try Die Macher again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Italia is a bit shorter than Brittannia.

Anyway I turned up at the church hall at 9.45 today and it was obviously being used for some kind of event. I inquired further and discovered it was the 'Summer Special' and they had booked the hall all today.

So I turned round and went back to Ealing, thinking I had the wrong date...but it looks as if I didn't. What is going on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Philip,

We arrived at about 9.55 - late for us I know - to find the hall had been double booked with the summer fete. After much discussion they let us game in the church, as this was the only building not being used as part of the fete

I'm really sorry you missed us, and for your wasted journey soblue

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh well, at least next time I'll know to stay around for a bit longer...

Now, are we in the hall for July?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are Philip, I don't think they want to upset us again as we make up a fairly significant chunk of their annual income.

As I sat in the church playing 'It's Alive!' I did think it just as well that this happened in June rather than July - 'Onward Christian Soldiers' may have gotten some even funnier looks

See you in July.

Oh, and I hope your exams all went well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Actually one more exam on Monday, but then its all over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well good luck for Monday then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Philpott
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard

Just a quick message to say thanks for the games day again and also additional thanks to you and all the others for thier patience when playing with Liam and Charlie today. Adele is well pleased with her various victories, especially since she beat me!

Regards
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.