Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I've received my copy of the Scythe expansion yesterday and my copy of the base game as part of the Kickstarter crowd.

Now, when I compare the miniatures of the base game to those delivered in my expansion, I see a great difference in detail.

The core games' miniatures look really bland and all details are a bit 'mushy', but the expansions' minis look really detailed and all said details are very sharp and crisp.

Is this something other players have noticed, too?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first Impression was exactly the same. Especially the mechs feel more sturdy and made a very good Overall impression, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh...hopefully it won't be noticed during gameplay and hopefully reprints of the basegame won't get "updated" miniatures. Unless you'd be able to get them as 'replacements' for a very good price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We switched to a different digital sculptor for the expansion miniatures (the original sculptor was very good at creating sculpts for digital use, but not quite as good at creating sculpts for miniatures). Also, in the year between creating the base game miniatures and the expansion miniatures, our manufacture, Panda, improved their sculpting team (they take a publisher's sculpts and optimize them for the molds, both for strength and for detail).

While we're still pleased with the overall look and feel of the base game miniatures, we're happy for the opportunity to improve with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely better minis.
But nothing that will break the bank in terms of standing out on the board. It's only when you examine them up close that you really notice anything.

In saying that though, the expansion is definitely easier to paint with the better details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
We switched to a different digital sculptor for the expansion miniatures (the original sculptor was very good at creating sculpts for digital use, but not quite as good at creating sculpts for miniatures). Also, in the year between creating the base game miniatures and the expansion miniatures, our manufacture, Panda, improved their sculpting team (they take a publisher's sculpts and optimize them for the molds, both for strength and for detail).

While we're still pleased with the overall look and feel of the base game miniatures, we're happy for the opportunity to improve with the expansion.

Will the reprints for the base game have the miniatures with more detail? And if so will there ever be an option to buy them separately? Just curious really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over time, miniature molds degrade and need to be replaced. As they do, we'll make small tweaks to improve their strength and quality. We'll continue to sell extra miniatures through our website: https://shop.trycelery.com/page/474ecdd8-7dbb-4068-b1e9-4f5d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Over time, miniature molds degrade and need to be replaced. As they do, we'll make small tweaks to improve their strength and quality. We'll continue to sell extra miniatures through our website: https://shop.trycelery.com/page/474ecdd8-7dbb-4068-b1e9-4f5d...
Will these extra miniatures be of sharper detail then those provided in the first printing of the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"we'll make small tweaks to improve their strength and quality."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the minis seems more detailed, but i have a complaint which comes with it.

3 of 4 of my Tokugawa minis have broken canon or/and antenas.

the box is in perfect shape so i don't think it endured any extra "transport shocks" than usual.

Unfortunately i also miss some of the broken parts , so i can't fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raz972 wrote:
the minis seems more detailed, but i have a complaint which comes with it.

3 of 4 of my Tokugawa minis have broken canon or/and antenas.

the box is in perfect shape so i don't think it endured any extra "transport shocks" than usual.

Unfortunately i also miss some of the broken parts , so i can't fix it.

If you need anything replaced, then please go here and let us know the details: http://stonemaiergames.com/about/replacement-parts/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
done!

thank you

merry xmas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have any broken miniatures, but they were all loose in a box, that flimsy plastic container didn't hold them tight compared to base game.

But no damage!

Quality is not that different from base game, I feared that the improvement is notable on board to the level of looking out of place, but it is not.

The only offputting feature are the extremely bulky meeples for purple faction while nothing implies as such on pictures. Not that obesity is a topic not for board games, but it's just weird how notably those meeples look different compared to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.