Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a sealed copy which I purchased last year. I was considering opening it to play during Christmas but after reading the posts here, I may change my mind. It appears to be overly complex as even the designers included optional rules in the Playbook for a "faster" game. As I am becoming a lot more discriminating with my gametime I really need to know whether the time invested in learning and playing is worth it.

On the positive side:

1. The production quality from the reviews appears to be excellent.
2. It has a deep theme which is not pasted on.
3. The designers placed a premium on historical accuracy.
4. The game benefits from the great living rules support provided by GMT games.

But on the other hand:

1. There is little hope for solo play. It is hard to find any other grognards to play.
2. Complexity is an issue. Having to reset the board constantly seems bothersome. And there are a lot of fiddly rules.
3. The victory conditions are not intuitive...having not yet played the game it is hard for me to visualize what a win looks like.

I would love to keep and enjoy this game but I am really on the fence. So what do you guys think: should I love it or list it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
If #1 on your "on the other hand" list is important to you, list it. It's (a) a block game and (b) a card driven game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I love WotR but hated this game. Fortunately I played with a friend's copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
You need really committed players who are not afraid of the time it will take to truly learn it. But it's good. It's just not easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.