Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons I bought Carcassone - The City was becuase it was playable as a 2 player game ( I dont own any of the other variants). I also felt Carcassone was a game which newbies could easily appreciate due to its simplicity and visual appeal. This weekend I had the opportunity to test this.

As my opponent was a novice gamer who doesnt like overly complex rules, I decided to keep things really simple by not playing with the walls and towers. I thought this Session report might be worth submitting for this reason.

We played 2 games using this method. Each game took about an hour to play. I like a challenge and competition, but reigned myself in so I didnt put the newbie off playing ever again. This meant I made suggestions/recommedations on placement. I also didnt "spoil" the newbies attempts at scoring. On occasion I did place parasite or aggresive tiles/meeples, but I would bring this to their attention and did so to demonstrate a potential strategy that could be employed.

I havnt played too many games of Carcassone and often enough to get the rules 100% correct the first time around (we initially played that you could place a tile and complete the section, place the meeple and then score). The second game went smoother as I managed to find the rule that resolved this. I won the first game by 20-30 pts.

By the second game, my opponent was more familiar with the rules and strategies. This time he adopted the tactic of keeping ahead of me on the score board and also used the Stewards to greater effect (although with my assistance). The result this time was a 20 pt victory to the newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.