Marco Fuini
New Zealand
Porirua
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out intending for this to be purely a session report, but I feel it may have value as a review too.

One of the reasons I bought Carcassone - The City was becuase it was playable as a 2 player game ( I dont own any of the other variants). I also felt Carcassone was a game which newbies could easily appreciate due to its simplicity and visual appeal. This weekend I had the opportunity to test this.

As my opponent was a novice gamer who doesnt like overly complex rules, I decided to keep things really simple by not playing with the walls and towers. The lack of walls made the game less competitive as we were able to easily expand in most suitable directions. The scoring was not adversely affected by the lack of walls, towers or gaurds.

Components:
The newbie commented on the quality of the pieces and illustrations, but commented that the illustrations were quite small.

Game time:
1-1.5 hours.

Rules:
The rules ares simple, but could be written better. It has taken me a couple of games to get them completely right. The two main rules I had problems with were scoring with Markets and Stewards, I intially played that markets could only be closed by placing the correct market tile (now I realise that residential areas can also be used to close them). There was confusion as to how Stewards scored markets (adjacent tiles or whole markets). The example diagrams and repeated plays eventually resolved it for me, but the written wording was what caused the confusion.

Enjoyment:
By the second game, the newbie was more comfortable with the rules and strategies, and this helped speed up the game and enjoyment. Over all the quick and attractive nature of the game means the game was enjoyed and will be played again.

Recomendation as a...
...2 Player game:

Yes. It worked well as a quick, 2 player game, even without the walls.

...game for newbies:
Yes. Removing the walls kept it more simple, and less "frustrating as the choice of tile placement was not limited as the game progressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.