11 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Musical Instruments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
My family is quite musically inclined and asked me to put together some instruments that would work within the Firefly Universe.

Along with these cards, I also have used the Career Word "Musician" in some of my personal Crew cards and will be implementing this in future Jobs and Misbehaves.

Just another layer of depth to the game What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just watched the Harp Twins video from which grabbed the harp pic, last night. haha

That grand piano ability seems a bit overpowered in certain situations, though I suppose if one has to have a "Musician" on their crew in order to utilize any of these, it would kind of balance it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea! The show actually has a number of musicians too. You might be able to pull images for instruments (or even Musician crew members) from episodes.

Shindig has a band at the titular shindig.
Safe has the outdoor dance scene where River looks so happy. The flutist in particular could be a card, I think.
Our Mrs. Reynolds begins with that celebration where Mal and Saffron get married.
The Message has a panpipe player at the Space Bazaar.

Regarding these cards, some are easier for me to interpret than others. The Pan Flute and the Hillfolk Harmonica are mechanically the same as Kaylee's Parasol. The Dizi Bamboo Flute seems pretty straightforward. It might be easier to just give the trumpet a point of Fight, rather than requiring a roll. The Hillfolk Fiddle's ability is exactly how I would imagine instruments coming into play in Firefly.

I'm not sure I see the reasoning behind Bongo Drums, Gaocheng Cymbals, Polka Accordion, and Grand Piano's abilities. Grand Piano's ability seems really strong. It could net a player a couple thousand bonus on a job, and that's not even it's only ability.

Instruments are such a fun addition to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the advice so far. More could definitely be added. Here are some of my thoughts behind the cards in question.

The idea behind:
the Bongo Drums was more in my head than an actual scene in mind. I pictured a crew member carrying around these drums and not really talking just kinda being that weird guy all by himself/herself. And because of that, they are just ignored. So Fake ID. (it was the hardest one to pin down, but i wanted to do some kind of drum).

The Cymbal idea was the classic smashing the head between the cymbals in order to disorient. Just the fact that they "could be" used as a weapon in close combat, made them viable in showdowns. Stretch? yes but paints an interesting picture.

The Polka Accordion = not a lot is known about Niska's personal background, but he does have Slavik roots. He is especially considered to be Czech. That area of the world is known for their polka music. Besides, can't you see Niska doing a polka jig after a hard days work of killing and extorting from people? The extra money from him is simple. He likes your taste in music.

The Grand Piano. First off, it is so large, it has the capability of hiding a single person. Secondly, having music to keep your passengers entertained keeps them calmer, and the little tip jar on top the piano can fill up quick on a quiet night. Is +$200 per passenger overpowered? Probably, however in my experience you have to have the right ship in order for those jobs to be worth it anyway. The chance of you buying THIS ship upgrade early in the game with a Ship Card designed for transporting AND have a job with unlimited load.... it should be pretty rare. However, late game it brings the the price of transport jobs up enough to make them viable later on. Right now, after the early game stage everyone goes to Niska if cash is needed. This helps in a small way to level the playing field and makes Niska not the only viable late game Dealer. Transport jobs are rare enough, that the stars would have to align just perfect for this single ship upgrade to make or break the game.

That's my reasoning, however I understand that it may not work for everyone. In which case, create your own musical instruments. Sky is the limit. And there are ton more ideas out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
These are pretty slick. One thing I would suggest is that a couple of them (bongos, ukulele, cymbals, fiddle) should take up your gear slot, if only because they're unwieldy. I can't really see someone having those cymbals wrapped around their hand and then quickly dropping them to grab a big firearm or drive a Mule. Aside from that, I think these are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motosada wrote:
These are pretty slick. One thing I would suggest is that a couple of them (bongos, ukulele, cymbals, fiddle) should take up your gear slot, if only because they're unwieldy. I can't really see someone having those cymbals wrapped around their hand and then quickly dropping them to grab a big firearm or drive a Mule. Aside from that, I think these are great.

Yep, have to agree here.

They are really slick. Nice looking images and the set icon is a nice touch too!

Grand Piano
S.S. Walden + "load passengers, no limit" = loads of $$$!

Basically, if you need 2 hands to play it, then it should take up all your Gear carrying ability...

Except the Harmonica, but then I am biased towards that instrument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is one I previously prepared.

Displayed here with guitar owner's permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Realistically speaking, all the instruments could count toward the gear limit, because in playing them you really can't do much else. However, for some of the gear, it really doesn't matter if it counts or not. For instance, The Hill Folk Fiddle: the ability is being used when carrying gear does not apply. Which makes it a free Negotiate during tests because that crew has the ability to play it not because they are actually playing. The ability isn't used during tests.

The Cymbals might be questionable, however I look at them as hanging on a utility belt and only being used when needed.

The Ukulele is carried by a passionate yet random person, who breaks into random song if he senses a negotiation going south. The instrument is small enough that it can always be carried on the side.

The rest of them make sense as they are smaller, with the exception of the Bongo Drums.

I do believe the Bongo Drums could definitely COUNT toward Gear limit. Looking at it again, I am not quite sure why I made it NOT count toward gear....lol. As the card stand now, it gives a crew member Fake ID and +1 Negotiate for $1000 credits and they can still carry gear. Yeah, probably too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a question though regarding the "Mudder's Guitar"...

The ability is to not have to pay one of your crew.

Does the crew get payed their cut, when they return to the ship? Meaning the Mudder's Guitar could remain on board the ship during the completion of a job and it's ability still be used.

OR

Are the crew payed their cut during the Work Action, meaning, in order to use the ability of the Mudder's Guitar it MUST be equipped during that work action?

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rackham9 wrote:
Are the crew payed their cut during the Work Action, meaning, in order to use the ability of the Mudder's Guitar it MUST be equipped during that work action?

What do you guys think?

The way I understand things is that an item of Gear is carried for it to be of benefit during the Action, whether it be Buy, Fly, Deal or Work.

I am a bit of a stickler as regards who is carrying what... but them's the rules.whistle

You pay your Crew their cut at the end of the relevant Work Action, when the Job itself is completed and you get paid.

If you've swapped instruments you could be short-changing someone, Crew or even yourself! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thoughts on what should could as carried...

As with a lot of the game, I feel like that's a flavor element that may be a little misleading. More accurately, it seems to represent the role the crew member plays during a job.

It's worth noting that a Fake ID (which will easily fit in your pocket) and a a herd of Wild Horses both take up the same "slot" so this clearly isn't about how hard or easy it is to physically carry something. In general, the items that don't count toward the limit fall into two categories (promos aside): concealed weapons (which would theoretically allow you to fulfill two roles) and clothing (which, again, seem easier to shift gear than other options).

Having said that, I think there's definitely room for items to not count for game balance purposes (eg, Kaylee's Parasol), but I don't think it's about how physically large an item is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.