4 Posts

One Deck Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of Heroic Skills and Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroic Skills allow players either to place Heroic Dice or to roll them.

Place: Mana Charge (Mage), Valiant (Paladin), and Frenzy (Warrior).

Roll: Eagle Eye (Archer), Daring Gamble (Rogue).

When is a "placing" skill considered to be used: when a Heroic die is placed (e.g., when a Warrior takes damage) or when it is rolled?

The answer affects things like interactions with the Shadow's Fade ability (which costs time per skill used): does it apply if the Warrior claims a Heroic die due to damage taken during encounter with Shadow - or if the Warrior uses a Heroic die (placed earlier due to Frenzy) against Shadow. (Or not at all - see the questions below.)

If the answer is "when the die is rolled," then I suppose that my next questions apply to all the skills.

I am not certain about the timing of the rolling by Eagle Eye and Daring Gamble (and the others also, if they really all are the same).

Eagle Eye and Daring Gamble say that you may roll Heroic Dice before an encounter.

(Mana Charge, Valiant, and Frenzy also say that the dice they provide may be rolled before an encounter.)

In another thread, it's been suggested that use of these skills (rolling the Heroic dice) does not trigger Freezing Winds' "during an encounter" penalty. Perhaps this also means that they don't count as skills used for Shadow's Fade (spend 1 time per skill used).

BUT ...

Page 29 of the rules identifies use of Heroic Skills at step #3 of an encounter, after #1 "Make a Choice" (for Peril Encounters) and #2 "Claim Dice."

I don't know how to reconcile this with the "before an encounter" text on the Hero Cards.

The resolution would also determine, for Peril Encounters, whether Heroic Dice can be rolled before choosing between the encounter's two options. The rules suggest not (#3 is after #1), but the Hero Cards suggest otherwise.

If the rules are correct here, then maybe Freezing Winds and Fade do apply to these skills after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fade ignores all five current Heroic Skills, because they are all "before" the encounter.

Choosing for a peril is also before the encounter, but earlier, before the encounter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one chooses for a Peril before rolling Heroic Dice (so your choice can't depend on the roll of those dice), the following seems to make sense.

The Peril choice requires spending time.

Because the stairs are visible, Warrior takes damage due to the time spent.

Warrior can obtain and use an Heroic Die or Dice acquired in this way - for that same Peril Encounter.

Sound right?

Sorry if it's been asked before (especially if it was by me!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.