Popular Tags: [View All]
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,I have a few easy questions:

1.- In the first scenario, Agenda 3a: 'Forced: At the end of the enemy phase: Each unengaged Ghoul enemy moves 1 location towards the Parlor'.

Does the Ghoul move even if for some reason it's exhausted?

2.- Mind over Matter.
What value do you apply for the intellect? Is it the investigator's basic Intellect, or the combined investigator + allies + assets? Can you boost it committing cards?

3.- Dissonant Voices.
Can you still commit cards for tests?

4.- Backstab.
OK, you use your agility instead of combat, but what about your enemy? Does he use his power or his agility?

5.- Flashlight.
Let's say the location has 2 shroud, so using the flashlight reduces it to 0. If the investigator's intellect is 3 and draws a -3 token, so his intellect is 0: the test is 0 v 0. Is this a success?

Thanks!

PS Amazing game! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the card text override the standard rules.

You use the total value.

Yes, you can commit cards and use assets already in play. Only playing new assets or events is prohibited.

The target is still the combat value of the enemy.

If a location has a shroud value of 0, only the tentacle token will fail the test, since your test value cannot go below 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One last point on the Flashlight - even if the original Shroud is 1, it still counts as 0, and even if your total is -1 or less, it counts as zero and therefore a success against zero (this applies to all tests).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you point out in the rules reference where it states that a modified skill value cannot be less than zero?

Thanks .. Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_mrholmes wrote:
Could you point out in the rules reference where it states that a modified skill value cannot be less than zero?

Thanks .. Mark

Under "modifiers"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
mr_mrholmes wrote:

It's tucked away in a section for 'Modifiers' on page 15.

The relevant excerpt:
Quote:
A quantity on a card (such as a stat, an icon, a number of
instances of a trait or keyword) cannot be reduced so that
it functions with a value below zero. Negative modifers
in excess of a value’s current quantity can be applied, but,
afer all active modifers have been applied, any resultant
value below zero is treated as zero. (For example: Danny
tests agility and reveals a –8 chaos token. When applied to his
agility of 4, this would reduce his skill value to –4. However,
his agility cannot be reduced so that it functions with a value
below zero. While the –8 modifer still exists, his agility is
treated as zero. If Danny were to play “Lucky!” to receive a
+2 bonus to the test, this bonus would not be applied to the
functioning skill value of zero; but rather, it is applied in
conjunction with all active modifiers. Danny’s agility would then
be calculated as follows: base skill 4, –8 from chaos token, +2
from “Lucky!” for a total of –2, which is still treated as zero.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I would have expected it to be mentioned in the skill test timing section on page 26 and 27. I tried looking for it but never thought of the modifiers section. I suppose that's one downside of the way the rules are presented; because it's a rules reference, if it never occurs to you to ask that particular question you may never come across the rule and spend a lot of game time in ignorance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:

2.- Mind over Matter.
What value do you apply for the intellect? Is it the investigator's basic Intellect, or the combined investigator + allies + assets? Can you boost it committing cards?

Could you clarify what you mean here?

Allies and other assets don't have intellect values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Echtalion wrote:

2.- Mind over Matter.

Some do - Dr. Milan Christopher, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Echtalion wrote:

2.- Mind over Matter.

I was writing fast as I was playing through the scenario.
I meant the bonuses granted by allies and assets. For instance, machete and Lita Chandler grant combat bonuses, etc. As for intellect specifically, Dr Milan Christopher grants a +1, as mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
Yes, the card text override the standard rules.

You use the total value.

Yes, you can commit cards and use assets already in play. Only playing new assets or events is prohibited.

The target is still the combat value of the enemy.

If a location has a shroud value of 0, only the tentacle token will fail the test, since your test value cannot go below 0.

For the auto fail: I thought that was the case, but having just reread the rules on page 6 - auto fail token, it refers to page 5, under auto fail/success. Is it that all that the auto fail does is to bring the investigator's skill to 0? Then it would still be possible to succeed, if the test value is also 0.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an FAQ confirmed by the lead designer that called out the example of a 0 skill value vs. 0 difficulty and mentioned that an auto-fail token would still cause you to fail:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/fa...

"Flashlight

- If you reduce shroud to 0, investigating this location will always be successful, because even if you reveal a -8 token, negative values are treated as 0, so you skill test result will match the test difficulty of 0 (you can still fail if you reveal an Auto-Fail token)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Echtalion wrote:

2.- Mind over Matter.

I was writing fast as I was playing through the scenario.
I meant the bonuses granted by allies and assets. For instance, machete and Lita Chandler grant combat bonuses, etc. As for intellect specifically, Dr Milan Christopher grants a +1, as mentioned above.

Ah, right, yes, static bonuses, if in play, always apply to their controller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason Auto Fail puts your result at zero is because for many tests it matters how much you fail by.

The rule for the Tentacle is clear: "This is the auto-fail token. If this token is revealed for a skill test, it indicates the investigator automatically fails the test (see “Automatic Failure/Success” on page 5)."

So this also applies but does not contradict:

"If a skill test automatically fails, the investigator’s total skill value for that test is considered 0."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more:
1.- Exhauested enemied don't retaliate,
2.-
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the 2nd scenario, with the revealed cultists, you can add them to the victory stack by using the actions stated in their cards IN ADDITION TO the normal procedure, ie defeating them. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
Two more:
1.- Exhauested enemied don't retaliate,

Correct.

Rules Reference, page 18:
Quote:
Retaliate
Retaliate is a keyword ability.
Each time an investigator fails a skill test while attacking a ready enemy with the retaliate keyword, after applying all results for that skill test, that enemy performs an attack against the attacking investigator. An enemy does not exhaust after performing a retaliate attack.
==This attack occurs whether the enemy is engaged with the attacking investigator or not.

The key word here is "ready".

Echtalion wrote:
2.-
In the 2nd scenario, with the revealed cultists, you can add them to the victory stack by using the actions stated in their cards IN ADDITION TO the normal procedure, ie defeating them. Correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more:

1.- Do you need to be engaged to parley, or just in the same location?

2.-
In the 2nd scenario: Downtown: when using the location's action to heal, can you also heal assets (eg allies)?

3.-
In the 2nd scenario: The masked hunter: it enters play engaged with the investigator with the highest number of clues. If it is evaded and consequently exhausted, and the investigator moves to a different location, in the monster phase, when it readies, if there happens to be a different investigator at that location, will it engage him?

In a later round, will the masked hunter chase the dude with the highest amount of clues, or stay engaged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Sparks
msg tools
badge
mb
Hi there, I just wanted to recommend putting some clue as to how far through the game a spoiler is, eg:

Quote:
1. Scenario 4 spoiler:

The boxing match against cthulhu struck me as slightly unrealistic.

that way I can decide if it really is a spoiler or not (for me personally) without opening it first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
1. At the same location is all that's required.

2. 'Heal' is just taking a specified number of damage or horror off a card. Specifics regarding 'off an investigator' are mentioned on the healing abilities themself. Since that location just says 'Heal 3 horror' I believe you can take up to 3 horror off an ally card (or an elder sign amulet, whatever). What you cannot do is split the healing amount up across multiple cards (1 horror off my Leo, then 2 horror off me).

Not 100% on this one, but I'll state it and wait for possible Rules Ref corrections.

3. Yes. As soon as it readies, it checks the location and will engage an investigator there. If there are multiple, then prey pref decides. If prey pref ties, lead investigator chooses. Also, when it hunts it will move toward the nearest investigator as a priority, regardless of prey pref. It will only hunt using prey pref if multiple investigators are nearest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:

2. 'Heal' is just taking a specified number of damage or horror off a card. Specifics regarding 'off an investigator' are mentioned on the healing abilities themself. Since that location just says 'Heal 3 horror' I believe you can take up to 3 horror off an ally card (or an elder sign amulet, whatever). What you cannot do is split the healing amount up across multiple cards (1 horror off my Leo, then 2 horror off me).

Not 100% on this one, but I'll state it and wait for possible Rules Ref corrections.

Had that situation come up tonight and I came to the exact same conclusion, so even if we are wrong, I like the way you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
'Heal' is just taking a specified number of damage or horror off a card. Specifics regarding 'off an investigator' are mentioned on the healing abilities themself. Since that location just says 'Heal 3 horror' I believe you can take up to 3 horror off an ally card (or an elder sign amulet, whatever). What you cannot do is split the healing amount up across multiple cards (1 horror off my Leo, then 2 horror off me).

I'm pretty sure that's exactly correct. The rules say you take the damage or horror off of a card and that excess healing goes to waste. From the RR, page 12:

Quote:
“Heal” is an instruction to remove the indicated amount of damage or the indicated amount of horror from a card.

If a card is healed for more damage or horror than it currently has on it, remove as much of the indicated amount as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been clarified by the designer.

"It's supposed to just be shorthand for "You heal 3 horror." (aka the investigator). Heal effects won't heal from assets unless explicitly mentioned. I'll add this to the first FAQ."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Butaman551 wrote:

"It's supposed to just be shorthand for "You heal 3 horror." (aka the investigator). Heal effects won't heal from assets unless explicitly mentioned. I'll add this to the first FAQ."

Great stuff, glad to hear and pleased that will be addressed in an FAQ. That particular one feels like a straight up correction rather than a clarification.

So when we see any use of 'Heal' we treat that as only in terms of investigator cards, unless the card specifically mentions assets.

Just out of interest and so I can call back to it myself if need be, on what site was Matt/Nate's ruling posted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
Butaman551 wrote:

Great stuff, glad to hear and pleased that will be addressed in an FAQ. That particular one feels like a straight up correction rather than a clarification.

So when we see any use of 'Heal' we treat that as only in terms of investigator cards, unless the card specifically mentions assets.

Just out of interest and so I can call back to it myself if need be, on what site was Matt/Nate's ruling posted?

Mythos Busters Discord chat I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.