BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: new guy here rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bgdf [+] [View All]
Darth Cestual
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hey gang, I've heard of BGG before, but this is my first venture into the fray here.
I'm a long time rpg player and more recently have gotten into console/pc gaming, but I really like making my own boardgames. Mainly because I lack the coding skills to even consider making a video game.yuk
WizWar has been a favorite of mine for over 15 years and I've made a couple versions of that, whih lead me to attempt making a sci-fi version that eventually became a co-op shooter called XenoPWN! and has been a big hit in my gaming circle.
So, after all that blather, my question is there a forum where game development for homebrewed boardgames are discussed or bandied about? I have several ideas I'd like to kick around with like-minded gamers. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the forums link at the top of the page. Look under "Gaming related". There is a forum there called Boardgame Design.

Also, welcome to the Geeek!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Nevarez
United States
Buda
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the geek. Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times There is an entire web community devoted to board game development:

http://www.bgdf.com

Like BGG, and amazing amount of info and very helpful folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
DarthCestual wrote:
a sci-fi version that eventually became a co-op shooter called XenoPWN! and has been a big hit in my gaming circle.

Sounds interesting. Can you tell us more about the game? Are you planning to publish it or make it available for download?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Cestual
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Thanks gang. I doubt I could publish XenoPWN in it's current form without a ton of lawsuits. My buddies and I who made it scoured the internet for the best images and coolest art we could find, stuff that pwned! Star Wars, Halo, and the Aliens movies are all in this game, to name a few. The game was made just for our circle of gamers, but we did a couple playtests at the FLGS and got great responses. Anyhoo, the game itself is over at my buddy's house, so I'll do what I can from memory...

XenoPWN! evolved from WizWar, so there's some similarities with modular board areas and using cards for most of the action. At this point it starts to feel more like Space Hulk with a squad of marines sent out to clean up a Skerrg infestation. I used GW minis of Space Marines and Tyranids for the pieces. There's a bit of rpg element here, as 1 player sets up the objectives and controls the Skerrg, and the rest of the players each control a marine.
Marines have a limited number of equipment slots, 3 in the backpack, 1 for each hand that allows for 1 & 2 handed weapons, and 2 free grenade slots, though they have the option of loading their pack with grenades as well. They can also Hack locked doors with a d6 with each door having 10 points of security to get through. Marines equip whatever weapons and gear before start of play, and we made a crapload of gear, and Weapon Lockers can be placed on the board with random weapons & equipment inside. Marines have 10 Health, 10 Armor and 5 Action points at the beginning of each turn, and can supplement that with number cards. Action points are used for movement, shooting, and can be saved for defense during the Skerrg action phase. 2 Cards are drawn at the beginning of each players turn and can be Number Cards, Action Cards, or Event Cards. Number cards I've already touched on, Action Cards are special actions the marine can play, such as "Hack" which will open a locked door immediately, or "BOOM! HEADSHOT!" which is an automatic 10 point damage shot regardless of the weapon, and dozens of others. Event Cards, well for the most part suck as they beef up the Skerrg aliens with varios Mutations, or "Weapon Jammed/Destroyed" or the "Reactor Core Breach" that limits the number of rounds left in the game, but there are 1 or 2 beneficial events...
Players have to think tactically as a squad to get though this game, because 9 times out of 10 when one of them goes off on their own, they'll get swarmed.

The Skerrg are controlled by the GM if you will that also sets up the game objective from a simple kill 'em all Bug Hunt or Get to the Escape Pod to a Rescue Mission. It's whatever you can come up with really.
There's several different type of skerrg each with their own bit of nasty, and each of the basic types have 10 Health and 10 Movement, with Queens and larger beasties having much more. Motion Trackers are placed on the board so the marines know something is moving in that area, but not how many, which is determined by a d12 roll, with a 1 result being a false signal.

Shredders are the swarms that wash over unprepared squads. Each does 1d10 damage. Think Genestealers (since that's what minis I used for 'em ) if they manage to get through the marines armor, there's a 50% chance they infect the marine, if so each turn after the player rolls 50% to see if the disease progresses losing 1 health each time and when the marine hits 0 health, they become a new skerrg, with a random roll to determine type. I've let players continue playing as the skerrg which was a hoot.

Reavers are skerrg with long scythe-like talons that allow them to reach into adjacent areas. I've gotten many players who thought they were just out of reach with these guys. Reavers do 2d6 damage.

Spewers shoot corrosive liquids at a 5 space range, doing 1d12. There's also 1d6 acid splash damage when shooting/meleeing spewers, but energy weapons work normally.

Shockers by far are the most underestimated of the skerrg, since they do little damage, 1d4 and ignoring armor but they knock out a player for 1 turn! My players figured out quickly to kill these guys fast.

Stingers are the skerrg snipers that can potentially wipe a squad. I've limited their use to 3 per game, so skerrg player will use them sparingly.

Queens and Smashers typically started with 50 health +10 health per marine alive if they got that far.

The creature art is all my work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Very nicely done. Sounds like fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very impressive! Too bad about the copyriht problems, since that sounds like a really cool game I would love to try. Check the forum for deisgners here and that other site that was recommended and make a version that you would be able to sell. Please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Cestual
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Thanks gang. It is a blast to play, lots of Ahnuld and Hudson quotes from the players. What I'm hoping to do is using the same techniques we developed for XenoPWN! and make some other games. So far, the ones we have solid concepts on (if no actuall work done)...

XombiePWN-zombie Yeah, zombies have been done to death-badum bum- but we have a more interesting angle than survival/escape. Think "Land of the Dead" where teams are sent into infested areas to gather supplies, of course facing the standard shamblers and the more recent runners, but throw in a Jason Voorhees-or six! devil Players collect supplies and bring them back to their semi, or they can use the supplies for health, weapons, traps, whatever they can come up with-total metagaming with supplies.

L33T FL33T- A standard space combat game using the same system with a mess of Star Wars and Star Trek riffs. It'll be more capital ships than dogfighting.

PWNy Express-I have 2 different versions in my head right now, 1-what you'd expect, a western race game, beat the other players to the destination and screw them over in the process. Or 2- same idea, but the setting being more Space1889 steampunk style on an alien world.

ThunderPWN-Post apocalyptic mutant gladiator battles.

Mass PWNage-(Still kicking around the name)Giant Mech battle game.

I know all of these aren't new concepts, but I like the ability for players to be able to customize their gear by way of the cards and with action points, they aren't tied to number cards. The combination has worked well and keeps things fairly well paced, even though most games go over 2 hours.

I appreciate the feedback gang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
laugh Welcome & Hello to the "Geek"! and we mean this in the most "thrilling" of manners as you can attain. nice looking 'stuff' there too, while for that "Space EPIC" you have in mind, then it's been 'done' already with Starfleet Wars and 'click' on its "title" there to see that some.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Cestual
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Starfleet Wars does look interesting, I dig the ships, but the game mechanics I have in mind would definitely be different. Maybe I could just do the cards/rules that could be adapted to any existing space battle game? Something for me to think more on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.