Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current FAQ states on page 8:

"A leader when alone in a hex may be ordered when a Command card with a helmet is played or as the one unit of your choice."

The appendix "...or as the one unit of your choice" is obviously a typo, as RB has explicitely confirmed that the opposite is true (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1531891#1531891).

But I ask myself who edits and publishes the "official" (!) FAQ - RB himself is named in the copyright section of the document...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Flix, thanks for pointing that out, I guess the official FAQ needs an update as soon as possible... Me too I thought the FAQ was written by RB himself.

I have the booklet plus the most recent FAQ printed and have been playing it wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering where I got the idea they only moved on helmet cards...

(I did post the question on CSW, where the original statement happened.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin,

I've just seen RB's answer on CSW, here it is for those not having a look over there:

Richard Borg in CSW wrote:
FAQ update

In the second printing of Commands & Colors: Ancients GMT attempted to clear up some questions about leaders. A number of Leader rule sections were updated and expanded in the second printing. Page 2 - Units, Leaders, Blocks - added a bullet for the Leader

• A Leader is not a unit. A Leader is represented by one rectangular block.

Seems like a minor update but it did impacted some play elements. One of which you have caught, Thanks and Yes, I do need to update an old FAQ answer of mine. Until a new FQA gets posted let me correct that specific question here.

Q. Can you order a leader with the order 1 unit of your choice found on some of the Command cards?

A. Leader when attached to a unit may only be ordered when a Command card with a helmet is played or when the "I Am Spartacus" roll is a leader symbol.

A leader when alone in a hex may be ordered when a Command card with a helmet is played or by a Leadership card or when the "I Am Spartacus" roll is a leader symbol.

Q. May a leader detach from a unit when a Leadership card is played?

A. No

Leaders when attached to a unit may only detach when a Command card with a helmet is played (section cards, order mounted) or when the "I Am Spartacus" roll is a leader symbol.

Thanks again!

Richard Borg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Richard Borg for answering so quickly!

Regards,
Flix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, thanks...but is anyone else but me even more confused now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just hope that the FAQ update will be reworded clearer...

But to summarise, I understand that leaders can move with:

1) "Helmet" cards.
2) IAS if a helmet is rolled.
3) Leadership cards ONLY IF THEY ARE ALONE.

And definitely NOT with the "one unit of your choice" option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:

1) "Helmet" cards.

I second 1) and 2), but on 3) I have to add a correction:

In this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1531891#1531891 RB states "The leader's hex referred to on the "Leadership" Command card, does not require the leader to be with a unit for the leader to be ordered." which I read as a leader can be alone but does not have to.

Therefore, my summary would be like this:

- The only cards to detach a leader from his unit are those with a helmet symbol (27 Section Cards, 1 Mounted Troop Card) and the "I am Spartacus" card if leader is rolled.

- The only cards to order a lone leader are Leadership Cards (6), those with a helmet symbol (27 Section Cards, 1 Mounted Troop Card) and the "I am Spartacus" card if leader is rolled

However, leadership cards can also be played upon an unit with a leader attached.
My understanding so far...

Regards,
Flix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:

1) "Helmet" cards.

I think I'm right for 3) too. We are talking about moving leaders, not moving units with a leader attached (of course the leader can always stay with the moving unit). So a leader can move on his own with a Leadership card ONLY if he is alone.

Or that's what I conclude from all the questions and answers it is taking to answer such a concrete question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right, of course, there was a misunderstanding - I thought you meant one could only play a Leadership card if the leader is alone. However, all you wanted was to emphasize that a leader cannot detach when Leadership is played.

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

PS: My experience tells me that once one question is being settled, someone somewhere is already looking for the next complex situation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know - I'm already on...

Recuerdos,
Flix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Foley, who takes care of the CCA forum on CsW, says that there is an updated FAQ coming very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flix
Germany
Heidelberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The updated FAQ (as of June 4, 2007) is available at http://www.thewargamer.com/ccancients/modules/Official_Ancie...

Thanks,
Flix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.